Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

Anyone see Kloppos sly wank goal celebration? What a guy. I actually thought West Ham would do a much better job of shutting us down but we were too good today. Gonna be a top tussle between West Ham and Spurs for that coveted fourth spot.

• Paid Members

Don't think there's anything to disagree with @SuperBacon's post there, nailed everything on the head.

I thought it was very harsh to throw Guendouzi into the deep end, I mean of all games for him to make his competitive debut. I understand not wanting to rush Torreira into the team, especially with a game like this, but I'd expect Elneny to play instead rather than a French teenager that has only played a handful of top flight games in his life. That said, although his inexperience showed and he made some mistakes, he worked his arse off and was largely positive.

Cech being asked to play like a modern keeper was hilarious and scary in equal parts. If we're going to play it out from the back, then it needs to be Leno. We don't really have the CBs for it though, other than Kos, who is out until December. It's going to be pretty worrying at the back this season.

Liked the look of Lichtsteiner today though, made a big difference when he came on, and he's also a bit of a bastard- which we need. Bellerin needs to up his game to keep his place.

City were so much better than us, the difference in speed between our players was ridiculous. And as Bacon said, they didn't really get out of first gear. Shitty time wasting on the 60 minute mark was surprising and disappointing from them.

Oh, and fuck off with your shit @Fog Dude

• Paid Members

I thought Liverpool looked excellent today. I mean, they did exactly what Spurs didn't do - they identified their weak areas over the summer and fucking dealt with them, and it showed today. Alright, it's only West Ham, but still an impressive performance from them. I am not looking forward to getting spanked off Liverpool in the first game at our new stadium.

Having said that, if I were to base who I think will win the league based just on the first game week, it'd be City. They look so...fluid. Some of the passing within the City team, even in incredibly tight spaces, was unreal. I don't think, despite how good Liverpool look to be, that they're quite at City's level (and, yes, I know they beat them in Europe but I don't think they can better them over the course of 38 games).

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Hand your fucking season ticket in.

I didn't get one since the club's claim that season ticket prices in the new stadium would be "comparable" to those at Wembley turned out to be a massive lie.

In all seriousness, with club bias glasses off, there's no way that Liverpool aren't, I would say, significantly better than us, on paper, right now. That's not to say that our first 11 can't or won't beat them, just that on paper I get the horrible feeling we're going to start in our new home with a potentially devastating loss.

And it all goes back to what I said about Liverpool addressing their shortcomings in the summer and us not bothering. It is what it is, I guess. With how things stand, I'll be quite happy if we manage to even achieve a top four finish this season.

38 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Didn't know that teams from the Southern League Premier South played in the Checkatrade Trophy!?

Town never stole a place in the professional game from Supermarine though, did they? 

1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I didn't get one since the club's claim that season ticket prices in the new stadium would be "comparable" to those at Wembley turned out to be a massive lie.

In all seriousness, with club bias glasses off, there's no way that Liverpool aren't, I would say, significantly better than us, on paper, right now. That's not to say that our first 11 can't or won't beat them, just that on paper I get the horrible feeling we're going to start in our new home with a potentially devastating loss.

And it all goes back to what I said about Liverpool addressing their shortcomings in the summer and us not bothering. It is what it is, I guess. With how things stand, I'll be quite happy if we manage to even achieve a top four finish this season.

I don't want to get into this again, but it's easier said than done when you can pay the wages and transfer fees that they have.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Town never stole a place in the professional game from Supermarine though, did they? 

Neither did either of the Dundees from the other, so you're point in relation to your own rules is?

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I don't want to get into this again, but it's easier said than done when you can pay the wages and transfer fees that they have.

Yeah, it is, and they do have more resources than we do, especially given their deep run in Europe last year.

However, by all accounts, we raised our wage ceiling to £200k a week. As an example of a player we could have signed and were apparently looking at: Shaqiri went to Liverpool for £13.5m (release clause value). When he came on today for them, he looked good. He's not a world beater by any means, but he'd have been a useful addition to our squad. £13.5m in this market is an absolute bargain for a player like Shaqiri and we didn't even try for him. And it's not like he would have been asking for £200k, either - apparently, he got just over 100k at Liverpool.

If the stadium build has made it so that we can't even afford to pay £13.5m for a player that would have undoubtedly improved our squad, which was desperately needed if we intended to fight on multiple fronts this season, then we are fucked for years to come unless and until the club is sold.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

24 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Neither did either of the Dundees from the other, so you're point in relation to your own rules is?

*your

To be fair that point only really applies to Oxford. The two Bradford clubs coexisted peacefully for decades in the Football League. 

Dundee and Dundee United are clearly quite an unusual case. Like I said, fans of The Terrors probably wouldn't appreciate being referred to as simply 'Dundee'. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

You talked about "the Oxford and Bradford fans" praising the way your lot have played in the first two matches. The teams you've played so far are Oxford United and Bradford City.

Don't get me wrong, I work with a Barnsley supporter and I don't begrudge you their good start, but that kind of thing does my head in. 

*Barnsley Football Club.

Stop being a prick or post elsewhere. I've had a fucking long night and I've got better things to do than go through reports about you being a petty arsehole on purpose. Which is what I've had. You know exactly which Bradford and Oxford teams he meant. Please stick to your quite fucking sweet, quite frankly, sporting knowledge. Especially as regards Welsh league football.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I'm a bit confused at Matthews going to Bolton. I mean, he's been finally getting some game time with the loans to Donny and Hamilton, so why would he agree to go to Bolton where it looks like he will be back up to Ben Alnwick?

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out for him. Would have loved it if he got the chance to be our first choice - always like to see local yokels make the breakthrough. 

@Ralphy Glad you liked it. Our Delia does a lovely spread doesn't she? :love: