Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm not usually a fan of supporters getting on the backs of their own players, either.

Having said that, at Spurs, Sissoko is a fucking liability. For some ungodly reason Poch seems to think his raw athleticism makes up for the fact that's he's an absolute detriment to our passing game. Levy only signed him to spite Newcastle after they spanked us by four goals on the last day of a couple seasons ago. This is a rib that's gone on too long!

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Can't believe how much of a feel good factor there is around Oakwell at the minute, it's amazing how a couple of dominant wins can change the atmosphere at a club. 

Another thing that is really surprising is how the opposition's fans are bigging us up. I always like to go on the opposition's forums before and after the game, just to see what the general conscious is about our team/performance. For the past few years in the Championship, it has been almost exclusively along the lines of "We should be hammering teams like Barnsley"(we even had a flag made up taking the piss out of the "teams like Barnsley" phrase, but this season the Oxford and Bradford fans have been full of praise for the team and it feels fantastic! 

Also worth noting, the last time Barnsley won their opening two matches was the '95/96 season, which was the year we won promotion to the Premier League for the first and only time! I remember being gobsmacked that the club would receive as much as £15m in TV money for the year. How times have changed, ey? What is it they get now? A minimum of £125m?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Glad WBA finally got a win yesterday, however, i do hope we get some half decent defenders in soon (loans/free's only of course now). We wont do very well if we defend like we did yesterday every single game! 

Think you deserved it on the balance of play, gave you a couple of gifts mind you! ;) 

Norwich are done as promotion contenders already. Grant Hanley is about to become the world's biggest apologist - we'll keep losing games and he'll keep barking in interviews about how it isn't good enough, we need to work harder, all the good soundbites but the truth is that we're absolutely spineless at the back and pretty clueless. Good to see Rhodes getting off the mark on his home debut but I'll be amazed if that continues. Other than that, I'm not sure what we really offer now in terms of attacking football, which seems a bit mad to type seeing as we've scored three goals for the first time in what feels like an age, but I think it'll be an exception rather than something that becomes the rule. 

Without Maddison this season I'll be amazed if we finish in the top half. These are the dreaded wilderness years for us I think - I actually like how the club have done their business in terms of selling big and buying cheap, but it's WHO you buy cheap that ultimately makes the difference. On current trajectory I think we could be a struggling Championship side for a while. 

It's also telling that Remi Matthews has moved onto Bolton on loan with a view to a permanent deal. Unfortunately it's a sign to me that Farke just doesn't have that much faith in some of our academy graduates, hence why he's either allowed them to leave or has just binned them off completely. 

Hopefully I'm completely wrong, we'll go on to surprise people, save the Colman's Mustard factory, bring back the yellow nets and get ourselves promoted. 

5 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Can't believe how much of a feel good factor there is around Oakwell at the minute, it's amazing how a couple of dominant wins can change the atmosphere at a club. 

Another thing that is really surprising is how the opposition's fans are bigging us up. I always like to go on the opposition's forums before and after the game, just to see what the general conscious is about our team/performance. For the past few years in the Championship, it has been almost exclusively along the lines of "We should be hammering teams like Barnsley"(we even had a flag made up taking the piss out of the "teams like Barnsley" phrase, but this season the Oxford and Bradford fans have been full of praise for the team and it feels fantastic! 

Also worth noting, the last time Barnsley won their opening two matches was the '95/96 season, which was the year we won promotion to the Premier League for the first and only time! I remember being gobsmacked that the club would receive as much as £15m in TV money for the year. How times have changed, ey? What is it they get now? A minimum of £125m?

You're not in the same division as Oxford City or Bradford Park Avenue, and you went up to the Premier League in '96/97. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

You're not in the same division as Oxford City or Bradford Park Avenue, and you went up to the Premier League in '96/97. 

Your right about the promotion year, but what have Oxford City and BPA got to do with anything? 

You talked about "the Oxford and Bradford fans" praising the way your lot have played in the first two matches. The teams you've played so far are Oxford United and Bradford City.

Don't get me wrong, I work with a Barnsley supporter and I don't begrudge you their good start, but that kind of thing does my head in. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Fog Dude said:

You talked about "the Oxford and Bradford fans" praising the way your lot have played in the first two matches. The teams you've played so far are Oxford United and Bradford City.

Don't get me wrong, I work with a Barnsley supporter and I don't begrudge you their good start, but that kind of thing does my head in. 

Don't be a dick head. I get that trying to be a "pedant" is your gimmick, but both yourself and everyone else on the forum knows that if I mention "Oxford" or "Bradford" in relation to the teams Barnsley has beaten in the past few weeks, then I'm referring to Bradford City and Oxford Utd. 

All you have done with the above posts is make yourself look a prize one prick...

All right, let's ask Dundee United fans if they're fine with being referred to as 'Dundee' shall we?

While we wonder why all those Manchester and Bristol supporters keep arguing among themselves... 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

All right, let's ask Dundee United fans if they're fine with being referred to as 'Dundee' shall we?

While we wonder why all those Manchester and Bristol supporters keep arguing among themselves... 

Go bollocks. You know for a fact that if someone mentions Bradford or Oxford in relation to The Football League, then they don't mean Oxford City or BPA. You're just trying to be an arse...

4 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Go bollocks. You know for a fact that if someone mentions Bradford or Oxford in relation to The Football League, then they don't mean Oxford City or BPA. You're just trying to be an arse...

I'm really not. When I say something "does my head in" I genuinely mean it. Try living with Asperger's Syndrome for 33 years and then get back to me about how it feels. If I had a pound for every time I've held back from posting what I was thinking about inaccuracies I'd be able to retire by now, but I can't do it all the time. Pedantry isn't a gimmick, it's my condition and my personality. 

Anyway I'm sure we used to have a semi-regular poster here who was an Oxford City supporter that never got abuse for fighting the same fight. Unfortunately I can't remember at the moment who it was. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Fog Dude said:

I'm really not. When I say something "does my head in" I genuinely mean it. Try living with Asperger's Syndrome for 33 years and then get back to me about how it feels. If I had a pound for every time I've held back from posting what I was thinking about inaccuracies I'd be able to retire by now, but I can't do it all the time. Pedantry isn't a gimmick, it's my condition and my personality. 

Anyway I'm sure we used to have a semi-regular poster here who was an Oxford City supporter that never got abuse for fighting the same fight. Unfortunately I can't remember at the moment who it was. 

Well, unfortunately for you it really isn't my job to not do your head in. I'd be willing to bet 99% of those that post in the football thread would just type "Bradford" or "Oxford" when referencing the teams Barnsley have played in the past two weeks. If "inaccuracies" really affect your condition that much, then surely you would be wise to avoid internet forums all together the same way I, a physically disabled bloke, avoid things that would aggravate my illness. 

But there is no point dragging this out. it "does my head in" when things derail good, long-running threads...

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Think you deserved it on the balance of play, gave you a couple of gifts mind you! ;) 

Norwich are done as promotion contenders already. Grant Hanley is about to become the world's biggest apologist - we'll keep losing games and he'll keep barking in interviews about how it isn't good enough, we need to work harder, all the good soundbites but the truth is that we're absolutely spineless at the back and pretty clueless. Good to see Rhodes getting off the mark on his home debut but I'll be amazed if that continues. Other than that, I'm not sure what we really offer now in terms of attacking football, which seems a bit mad to type seeing as we've scored three goals for the first time in what feels like an age, but I think it'll be an exception rather than something that becomes the rule. 

Without Maddison this season I'll be amazed if we finish in the top half. These are the dreaded wilderness years for us I think - I actually like how the club have done their business in terms of selling big and buying cheap, but it's WHO you buy cheap that ultimately makes the difference. On current trajectory I think we could be a struggling Championship side for a while. 

It's also telling that Remi Matthews has moved onto Bolton on loan with a view to a permanent deal. Unfortunately it's a sign to me that Farke just doesn't have that much faith in some of our academy graduates, hence why he's either allowed them to leave or has just binned them off completely. 

Hopefully I'm completely wrong, we'll go on to surprise people, save the Colman's Mustard factory, bring back the yellow nets and get ourselves promoted. 

I'm a bit confused at Matthews going to Bolton. I mean, he's been finally getting some game time with the loans to Donny and Hamilton, so why would he agree to go to Bolton where it looks like he will be back up to Ben Alnwick?

Arsenal City then.

I'll try not to be too biased, but that was a fairly one sided contest wasn't it? City looked frightening again (if a little wasteful in front of goal), with loads to spare and stars on the bench, and got the job done whilst not even getting out of first gear.

Arsenal then...I thought Guendouzi,apart from the shocking first half and the mistake that nearly led to a City goal, did OK, and it was a bit of a harsh baptism of fire. Didn't give up, didn't shy away, and was always showing for the ball. Contrast to Xhaka, who for me,is an absolutely awful football player. Doubt he'll start many more in front of Torreira.

The second City goal, whilst a fine finish from Silva, was criminal. You've got him ghosting in, in acres of space, whilst your two DM look on on the edge of the area, and Lichtsteiner, who played well, had no idea of his presence coming in. Not good enough.

Ozil was awful.Not one of the games where he 'goes missing', but just untidy, wasteful and sloppy.

Cech playing out from the back is enough to give anyone kittens, but the state of the fans ironically cheering him. Honestly, have a word with yourselves.

Lacazette unfortunately lacked the intelligence to do anything with that loose ball from Ederson, and will be surely kicking himself.

Arsenal should've had a blatant penalty though.

All in all, I think Arsenal will do well this season, there's enough there to work with, a few tweaks made, and getting Xhaka as far away from the starting 11 as quick as possible.

3 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

It's a sad state of affairs, where the writing has been on the wall since the beginning of the year. Only one direction this regime is taking the club, and it's down.