Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'd be more than happy to get Alexis off the wage bill in the summer. He's too expensive to be an impact sub, especially one that makes the wrong sort of impact every time. That finish against Arsenal recently was a reminder that there's a player of quality there, but it looks like he needs to play through the middle or not at all and we've already got a £70m substitute for that position.

• Paid Members

Because I'm petty as fuck, I'm absolutely revelling in Alexis Sanchez turning out to be an absolute dogshit signing. Of course he scored against us, they all do, Aliadiere scored more against us than he did for us. But long may he be a complete failure. Fuck him and his dogs.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

It was a baffling signing even before we found out that he's actually dogshit now. We brought him in and Jose tried to fit him into the side in the one outfield position that we were actually looking great in at the time. Genuinely seemed like we only picked him up because City were rumoured to be interested.

Was hoping he'd at least put on a decent show tonight to seduce PSG into taking a punt on him in the summer. There are only a handful of clubs in the world that would take on those wages.

• Paid Members
On 2/11/2019 at 9:12 PM, scratchdj said:

I genuinely worry for Ipswich in League One. Whilst the Championship is an incredibly hard league to get out of, I don’t think League One is going to be easy for them.

The heart and sole of the club has vanished under Evans. He doesn’t invest in the team and doesn’t have a connection with the fans. They’ve got quite a big stadium and many of the lads I play football with have season tickets. Their gate is well down, and I’m told it’s a horrible atmosphere inside Portman Road these days.

Considering League One contains 6 ex-Premier League clubs, I could see Ipswich kicking around there for quite some time. 

There is 7 isn't there? 

Barnsley, Blackpool, Bradford, Charlton, Coventry, Portsmouth and Sunderland.

Before this season, I'd have said going down to League 1 to "regroup" was the wrong attitude to have for any Championship club. But the way the new Barnsley owners have managed to keep the squad together, strengthened the squad where it was needed and chosen a really decent young manager/head coach has totally changed my mind. It's been one of the best seasons I've ever experienced as a Barnsley fan!

• Paid Members

Nothing wrong with League 1 at all. With all your ducks in a row it's a fantastic opportunity to rebuild a club from the ground up on all fronts, not in terms of splashing the cash but getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in passionate youngster who bring a completely fresh exuberance and feel about the place. It can also help bring supporters closer to the club in what starts out as a time of need and in most cases could result in a big party at the end of the season when promotion comes. You'll also get to visit some fantastic away grounds you'll have either not been to for years or get to visit other unique grounds you've never been to before. Norwich's 09/10 League One season is up there with my favourites - so many great memories of not only the matches but also places visited. 

Ipswich could really revitalise themselves there. They may struggle in terms of Evans' lack of involvement but with the history, stadium etc it's got to be a draw for decent players at that level. 

Think they should keep Lambert on regardless - Chilly correct me if I'm wrong but for all the bad times recently Lambert seems to have built a strong bond with the fans. He'd soon turn a team into League 1 winners surely. 

• Paid Members

The most impressive part of it was doing so with The Kak and Mata replacing the energy, mobility and dance moves of Martial and JLINGZ.

I hope Ole gets a full season. He clearly has a vision of how he sees the team playing and the players are clearly responding to it.

• Paid Members

It's the improvement of the defence that has been most striking. Sure, Chelsea are basically a one man team at the moment but even Ashley Young and Chris Smalling look good right now. In fact, that might have been Smalling's best ever United performance last night. Everybody's rightly pointed out the goals and the attacking fluency, but the defending has been way better than Mourinho's bus-parking. Because there's such a thing as positive defending as well.

My absolute favourite thing right now after every United win is to go on Twitter and find those making excuses for Mourinho, of which there are still many. Last night they were the trotting out the 'How was the second half any different from what Mourinho was doing?' one. Because we were 2-0 up and had something to defend, dipshits.

This run under Solskjaer has almost immediately eliminated any prospect of revisionism of Mourinho's spell at United, which delights me greatly.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This run under Solskjaer has almost immediately eliminated any prospect of revisionism of Mourinho's spell at United, which delights me greatly.

Yeah, it's beautiful seeing this play out. Last night I had reminder on Twitter about of how toxic Mourinho had become, with someone posting a clip of Carragher saying that changing manager wouldn't change how average Pogba is. Seeing all our supposed shite, never good enough players thrive is hilarious. As pointed out, Herrera and Pogba were struggling to get into the team and Rashford looked absolutely shot.

It's the pressing game that has ensured we defend better. Ole also says he wants players to defend more one on one, like he did under Fergie. Basically trusting his players.

I think it was mostly dumb fuck pundits and United fans who used to say the players weren't good enough. Yeah they're unblalnced but United's midfield on a player for player basis is certainly no worse than Liverpool's, they've got a great forward line and the best goalie in the league. That's why it was so fun to watch them all be shit.

Personally I hope they fuck Ole off, hire Poch and sign utter dross and he fails. It's what the modern United would do.

• Paid Members

Sorry to derail the thread with a question but football related. In the 90s, I had a toy that played short video clips. I can remember having two cartridges or whatever it played, Alan Shearer's goal against France in 1992 and Mark Hughes goal in the Cup Winners Cup Final in 1991. Anyone have one and remember what it was? Was like a View master but with videos. At least i think it was.