Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Murtz said:

He could excel under the right manager.. really don't think that's Puel though!

Why do you say that? Both Seri and Mendy excelled under him at Nice and Romeu arguably had his best season while Puel was at Southampton. Mendy is also having his best season at Leicester at the moment too. Puel seems to be able to work well with untapping potential with central midfielders, which I suppose isn't that surprising seeing as he played there for years under Wenger at Monaco.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Why do you say that? Both Seri and Mendy excelled under him at Nice and Romeu arguably had his best season while Puel was at Southampton. Mendy is also having his best season at Leicester at the moment too. Puel seems to be able to work well with untapping potential with central midfielders, which I suppose isn't that surprising seeing as he played there for years under Wenger at Monaco.

I get that, But it's more to do with how Puel is getting on at Leicester. He isn't really helping the youngsters there, and hasn't really improved anyone at City. His days are numbered.. can't see him getting through this season to be honest.

• Paid Members

City have become particularly bad when it comes to retaining young players recently, haven't they? Sancho, Diaz and now Matondo. Pep is talking up Foden enough to make him feel that staying is the best option, but it might be only a matter of time before the likes of Ian Poveda decide to move on as well.

Good for them. I don't care if young British players are moving abroad for opportunities, as long as they are getting opportunities. If the quality of young players coming through improves (and that clearly seems to be the case at the moment), you'd hope that the clubs here will soon realise the benefit in giving them chances.

• Paid Members

From Man City's viewpoint I don't know if this one will sting as they robbed this lad from Cardiff, made a shit load of money on him and have a buyback. I know from a trip to the City academy a couple of years ago that this is very much part of the business plan for the academy as well as developing players for themselves, they plan to develop players to sell. 

Interested to see how Almiron gets on at Newcastle. He's been a massive part of the Atlanta side that has revolutionised MLS and looked a class above that league. Clearly got bags of talent but might need time to adjust to the hectic nature of the Premier League. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I know from a trip to the City academy a couple of years ago that this is very much part of the business plan for the academy as well as developing players for themselves, they plan to develop players to sell.

And to be honest that should be the business plan for all major clubs, Chelsea have done well out of it so far. Of course they have a separate issue of not making the most of their homegrown players and bringing them through to the first team, but from a business perspective they make good money from selling them on.

Although fans moan about some players having to move on and some never getting a crack at the first team, bear in mind they've had development at top facilities for many years- which will ensure they are better prepared and are better players wherever they end up going. The sheer amount of players clubs have in their academies is enough to tell you that those numbers do not go into a senior squad of 25 as well. I bet the trip to City's academy was interesting, their training centre looks out of this world. Easily one of the best investments the owners have made since taking over the club.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

And to be honest that should be the business plan for all major clubs, Chelsea have done well out of it so far. Of course they have a separate issue of not making the most of their homegrown players and bringing them through to the first team, but from a business perspective they make good money from selling them on.

Although fans moan about some players having to move on and some never getting a crack at the first team, bear in mind they've had development at top facilities for many years- which will ensure they are better prepared and are better players wherever they end up going. The sheer amount of players clubs have in their academies is enough to tell you that those numbers do not go into a senior squad of 25 as well. I bet the trip to City's academy was interesting, their training centre looks out of this world. Easily one of the best investments the owners have made since taking over the club.

Yeah, it's a wonderful place. Certain places were off limits and they wouldn't let us take photos except of our kids but the size of it, the amount of pitches of all surfaces including an indoor grass surface plus the mini stadium the women and U23s play at is astounding. To be fair to them too, it's helping regenerate an area of Manchester that was pretty desperate by all accounts before the Commonwealth games. 

We took a sensational U8 team for our standards. City don't normally play guest teams against their academy but they did ours. On the next pitch was a team from Cumbria. They were two years older, playing two extra players and getting beat double figures. The week before, they'd beaten Arsenal by ten. They also went to the semis of a sort of age group Champions League. Our lads got beat 1-0, 3-0 and 4-2 but they were ace. City had Chris Samba and Heskey's lads in their squad. Loads of lads from Yorkshire and Merseyside and even a brilliant little Spanish lad. Was a great experience. One of our lads from that team is special. I'll let you know if he ever makes it.