Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

I'll prefix this by saying I really love visiting Liverpool and find it one of the friendliest places I've been to.

The neutrals favourite definitely exists.  It is tied in with the "Everyone loves a scouser" thing which seems to exist as well.  The old salt of the earth scouse lad stereotype is one for a reason.  However I think that us against the world and we are all scousers mentality exist for a reason.  This is a city that the tories set out to smear and destroy.  Sure, they also closed and decimated industry and towns all across the north but with Liverpool, it was the city and the spirit they wanted to close, so I can totally get and applaud the mindset of Liverpudlians for that defensiveness and togetherness.

Heysal did do a lot to tarnish them though.  The gamut of excuses ran from the ground being sub standard (which it was) to UEFA fucking up the allocations (which they did) but the biggest reason people died is because Liverpool fans went on the rampage and rushed the Juve fans.  We can get into the why's and how's of what led to that but ultimately, the lack of culpability which went on for decades, and in tiny pockets still exists, stank.  It's the same with the Suarez situation, automatically defending him because he is "One of us" despite him being in the wrong was wretched.  King Kenny made it even worse of course but I can understand the defence of him given on the historical attacks on the people of the city.

And of course, had it been Chicharito calling Glen Johnson "Negrito" I'm sure both sets of fans would have the same stance on the racist abuse and not switched because the circumstances were reversed.

As with most things football, it's the plastics who ruin it.  The ones who think they embody the scouse spirit because they support Liverpool.  No mate, you're from Rhyl, or Hebden Bridge, or Nuneaton.

• Paid Members

Can't help but shake my head when I see the Utd fans bigging up and lauding Pogba for his performances in the last 3 games. If that were me, I'd be asking the question why he couldn't do it under Jose personally. I undersand that the system Ole is playing is completely different, but playing in a system you didn't like shouldn't mean you put less effort in like he did.

12 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Can't help but shake my head when I see the Utd fans bigging up and lauding Pogba for his performances in the last 3 games. If that were me, I'd be asking the question why he couldn't do it under Jose personally. I undersand that the system Ole is playing is completely different, but playing in a system you didn't like shouldn't mean you put less effort in like he did.

Agreed but if you look at the run he made for the second goal, and from where he made it.

When did he do that under mourinho?

Both have to share the blame.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

Cod Eye, there, just before he sticks a Galatasaray flag in his back garden.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, air_raid said:

They do my nut in like you wouldn't believe. I'd tolerate another Arsenal or Chelsea title win easily over Liverpool actually winning it because while hideous in principle it would be preferable over that lot chirping about it for the next 12 months. Social networks have come into existence and started piping the worst of every set of fans' bullshit into my eyes in the decades since they actually won the league title and I think it would be fucking unbearable. "Neutrals my favourite" my fucking arse.

Living where I do, when Chelsea or City win the league its not too bad as there are hardly any fans of either club. But when it comes to Liverpool, their fans have only just stopped going on about their 2004 Champions League win. I dread how unbearable they will be come May.

My biggest bug bear is how they go on about 'history' like they are the only club to ever experience success. What was Liverpool FC before the late 1960's?

I can only speak for the Liverpool fans that I know, but every club has its own history and mean the world to their own fans. I've always sensed a sense of entitlement when it comes to Liverpool, they genuinely think they are on a higher plain to everyone else which is bollocks of course. 

It's interesting because it's, to my mind at least, definitely a by product of our lack of success/failure to live up to what went before rather than it being an exclusively Liverpool thing. There's not a massive pool of teams who have had that prolonged era of absolute success into a prolonged era of being ordinary. I look at United now and I hear them talk about a 'United way' and amusingly harking back to the Ferg days and it's like watching a parallel universe unfold. Leeds are a good example of this as well.