Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

West Ham so far have had a cracking transfer window. I’m starting to think we will have a top 10 season ahead of us.

I feel that this could have been copied and pasted from last season's football thread.

• Paid Members

Really looking forward to this season as a whole. Wonder if the buzz the England team have created will give the English game as a whole a boost(like the Italia' 90 team did back in the day). 

From a personal point of view however, I'm dreading watching Barnsley in League 1 this year. We haven't signed a single player(even after letting 3 go) and I just can't get exited for the season. It probably makes it worse that my Brother in Law plays for one of the teams that stayed up at our expense and the stick I am getting from the family is doing my head in now!

• Paid Members

2 hours ago, The Maestro said:

I feel that this could have been copied and pasted from last season's football thread.

I didn't rate their dealings last season at all (apart from Marko Aranutovic, though I also felt Moyles would keep them up). But a new, proven manager, their club record signing in Anderson, looking likely to sell Carroll, it's looking good. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
repitition

Who the fuck is buying Andy Carroll in 2018? Do they want Sturridge too?

Liverpool are going big on Alisson. It's crazy to think we might have the world's most expensive goalie and defender next year and a proper defensive midfielder and we'll still ship loads of goals.

My biggest fear is that we don't get Alisson or Fekir and Klopp decides they're the only ones he wanted so keeps his powder dry.

• Paid Members

I'm not holding out much hope for my beloved Canaries this term. I like Daniel Farke and the overall structure of the club in terms of how it's been streamlined, the Academy improvements, a lot of deadwood cleared out in the last twelve months, etc. Also we have a very lovely new home strip. But due to no longer having the parachute payments we've sold a number of key assets including James Maddison, and one of best players last season in Angus Gunn returned to Man City after his loan spell (before moving to Southampton). We've been relatively active in the market with reinforcements, but truth be told I'm not that enthused about the crop we've brought in. We've signed ex-Celtic forward Teemu Pukki on a freebie and we've got Jordan Rhodes on loan from Sheffield Wednesday. With Rhodes especially, if he can rebuild his reputation with us then great, but I think he peaked about five years ago in all honesty. 

There's definitely some talent in the ranks in other positions, but I think realistically it needs another season to properly grow before a realistic promotion push can happen. Like most Championship sides, you're desperately searching for that star striker that can bang the goals in to get you up the table and presently we just don't have that. Going to be an exciting season as a whole, mind. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I didn't rate their dealings last season at all (apart from Marko Aranutovic, though I also felt Moyles would keep them up). But a new, proven manager, their club record signing in Anderson, looking likely to sell Carroll, it's looking good. 

000000387-Chris_Moyles.jpg

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

If Neil Harris can manage to consolidate Millwall in the upper mid table of the Championship for another season that would be great. Like a Championship version of Kane. No one likes him but he is always floating around the upper midcard, but with a decent run with the tag belts (Decent run in one of the cups)

Cov are back in League One.  I kind of hope for a fuck up of a season because as long as we are doing ok, the owners won't fuck off.  Saying that, they didn't fuck off when we were in League 2 and probably won't fuck off until they get what they consider a good price for the club.

10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

West Ham so far have had a cracking transfer window. I’m starting to think we will have a top 10 season ahead of us. My optimism probably means we’ll be in a relegation dog fight by Christmas 

Hopefully West Ham don't fall into the trap of not starting well, playing too open football and getting punished and then sacking the manager and going back to survival football by Christmas. Would also be nice to see the fans get behind the team this season and try turn the Olympic Stadium into a good atmosphere. This is West Ham though.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Hopefully West Ham don't fall into the trap of not starting well, playing too open football and getting punished and then sacking the manager and going back to survival football by Christmas. Would also be nice to see the fans get behind the team this season and try turn the Olympic Stadium into a good atmosphere. This is West Ham though.

My theory is the board are having a last throw of the dice. Spending all this cash to be able to sell up within the next 2 years. As much as I love Upton Park, The OS is an amazing stadium and can, as you say, have a great atmosphere if people stop being dicks (not Julian).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Malcolm to Everton for 30m is ludicrously cheap in this market! Has to be a windup, surely...

It makes me think how much interest has been drummed-up by his agent to make him so sought after. After him being linked with everyone in January, he's quite the coup. Similar to Jean Michael Seri, who despite being linked with Barca and Chelsea has signed for Fulham. That was a huge shock. And to a lesser extent, Felipe Anderson signing for West Ham, after being linked with United since he was able to talk.

Alisson to Liverpool certainly looks to be happening then, which is forcing Real Madrid's hand into moving for their other option Courtois, paving the way for Cech to reclaim his place as Chelsea's number 1!