When did you last enjoy WWE?

LEGIT

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
13 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Candidly, 2001 invasion time.

Got interested again with Punk and the MITB title win. 

But yeah, I watch Mania and the Rumble out for a sense of duty more so than actually being interested in the product .

Id have to agree with this.

will pay for network for rumble to mania binge all the new stuff i want to see then get rid again. 

I watched every week consistently during Punk’s run with the belt and I stopped watching when he walked. I remember the Sheild breaking up was another reason for me to stop watching weekly. 

I still watch the PPVs, NXT and usually 205. Raw and Smackdown are just so boring these days 

• Paid Members

I think the decline started for me in 2003/2004 or so when they started pushing Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit to world title reigns, and it started to feel that things were changing for the worst. After then I always dipped in and out, the ECW brand piqued my interest for a while until they killed it dead, Ric Flair's retirement run etc.

But 2010/11 was the last time I was an avid weekly viewer and could claim to actually enjoy the product. Due to nostalgia reasons I was massively into the Bret Hart return end even the critically panned storyline with Vince, which also ran side-by-side with the excellent build-up to Shawn Michaels v Undertaker II. 

I gave up shortly after the CM Punk pipebomb stuff. While I was never a fan of his and always thought he was a tit, the fact they couldn't even carry out this storyline properly and gave up after a fortnight was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Since then, whenever I tune in I just can't get over the fact that I despise the presentation (and I sound like a broken record I know) that is way too glossy and over-produced. There is nothing gritty nor organic about the shows, which clouds everything for me.

I think it was half giving up with Punk and half not having a clue how to capitalise on momentum. He came back way too soon, where as he should have stayed away and done other things like talk shows and movies until fans were biting at the bit for him to return. Social media could have carried on the story while he was off TV.

Then when he was back they tried just giving him edgy stuff to say for the sake of saying edgy stuff. The pipe bomb was relevant and made total sense. After that he just came off as moaning for no reason. Especially when you had Triple H saying stuff like “we paid loads of money to give you the entrance music you moaned for.” For me, that was one of the most blatant examples of them not knowing how to capture unexpected magic and it went over the top with Ryback in HIAC. It was a fucking Cell match and they couldn’t find a way to protect someone red hot in defeat. They could have gimmicked that loss to fuck, instead we got a low blow and quick count 

• Paid Members

I've never really watched WWE on a week-to-week basis so it's always easy for me to skip TV and PPVs to focus on other promotions or other anything else other than wrestling for that matter. So I've always gauged my interest in WWE by how often I watch the PPV's. Right now, my interest is at an all-time low on par with when I largely ignored the product during the 2006-2010 period. I went to WrestleMania this year in order to cross it off my bucketlist but mainly to indulge in the events surrounding it (such as Joey Janela's Spring Break and Bourbon Street). I never actually watched the 4 or 5 PPV's going into it nor have I watched one since (I haven't even rewatched 'Mania).

I think I last truly enjoyed the product when they split the roster for the first time time in ages. 2015, I think? Smackdown was a brilliant little show that I would actually follow week-to-week and I was watching all the PPVs. Smackers steadily got worse until I dropped it but I still watched the month-to-month specials as there was enough good stuff overall to keep me on board. I kept up with this (and my sub to the WWE Network) until last year's Survivor Series, which was my "Fuck this shit, I'm out" moment. Which leads me to the present day.

So yeah, my enjoyment of WWE is pretty fucking low at the moment. I don't like anything about the way the product is produced, I don't like the slapdash approach to the writing, I don't like how nothing feels urgent and I don't like how they're wasting the best roster they've had since '03/'04. Roman and Braun should be super-over babyface champions, Brock should've been fucked off ages ago and the Bayley's popularity should be on par with Daniel Bryan in 2013. All in all, it's not for me and I've never seen the point in forcing myself to watch something that I don't like. I just wish the thousands of WWE RAW Recap podcast hosts shared the same ideology. 

To be honest I can’t really remember the last time I enjoyed WWE, I always look forward to the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania PPVs but other then that I’ll catch the Youtube highlights and watch the PPVs live until I end up falling asleep.  Over the past 6 months though I haven’t even watched the highlights and will just watch a certain segment I like the sound of on YouTube after reading the results.

New Japan takes up practically all of my Wrestling time nowadays.

When we moved to America in 2012, we didn't have kids, plus West Coast still got the live HD feed then, so I would DVR it, watch when I got home and usually be done by 8.30pm. I hadn't really been an avid follower since 2003, and I'd never heard of Daniel Bryan, so it was great to get back involved just as he was starting to become more like the focal point. Plus we hadn't been burned out by 3 hour death shows at that point, so it was all quite exciting. 

Went to WM31, which was an amazing experience. I think I probably started fading away after that. We dropped cable that summer because AT&T wouldn't give me a good renewal, so I had borrow my boss's login to watch. And once Bryan was out of commission, I found I didn't care that much anymore. Plus it seemed like there was such a drop off in the effort they were putting in, so that was it really. Once we had 2nd baby in 2016, it was a fucking mission just to get the PPVs in. Back in the UK now and it's the same situation. Don't have sky, don't have time, so just listen to Observer Radio when I'm washing up to keep on top of it, and watch a PPV and/or takeover if I can find the time. 

So really, 2012-2015 was my last really "into it" and enjoying it period. 

• Paid Members
On 7/13/2018 at 7:21 PM, LEGIT said:

I'm intrigued to find out when people last enjoyed WWE. Do you enjoy it now? One year ago? Ten years? Twenty years? Honest answers please and hopefully some discussion back and forth.

AND ALSO. When did you last watch RAW week in week out, with no skipping etc., for more than 3 months? Your answer will probably be the same for both, but not necessarily.

I last watched Raw every week during an extended period of unemployment during 2014. I was in a house with Sky and no reason to be up on Tuesday. There were moments, but I didn't really enjoy it. It was a colossal slog and I watched out of habit and fear of missing the week where it magically becomes good again.

Last time I enjoyed it..... hmm. There was a lot I enjoyed in 2011 but towards the tail end of the year they'd moved the belt around so much since Money In The Bank and neglected to just make Punk the clear top guy, the Punk/Nash/HHH dynamic had confused me to fuck, especially not knowing if I was supposed to like Hunter or not, instead of putting the belts on Awesome Truth they fed them to Rock and Cena like they were the fucking Beverly Brothers.... just felt like they lost their way badly.

Boy, did it get worse before it.... has yet to get better, actually.

• Paid Members
On 7/15/2018 at 5:21 PM, garynysmon said:

Since then, whenever I tune in I just can't get over the fact that I despise the presentation (and I sound like a broken record I know) that is way too glossy and over-produced. There is nothing gritty nor organic about the shows, which clouds everything for me.

Thats it in a nutshell for me, added with just feeling like you've seen every match/move/sequence 3,000 times before.

Honestly can't remember when I was fully invested and excited for wwe programing.

2004 - 2008 maybe then I just found other promotions that really gave me what I was looking for on a consistant basis.

The only thing within the wwe machine I'm interested in at the moment is nxt, I can't belive that program exists under the same umbrella as raw and smackdown now.

It's not a good thing to say that either I want there to be something to drag me back in because wwf wwe was my first love, the first thing I was obsessed about as a child and gave me an escape from my home life but there is literally not one thjng on the main roster for me right now 

• Paid Members

I was watching every RAW and Smackdown solidly up until WrestleMania 34 weekend. I went with my brother, having gone to 24, got the wives permission to go out to New Orleans and came back completely burnt out from wrestling. I had no interest in watching the shows when we came back and the itch has only just started to come back after a few months. Being in the WrestleMania bubble ruined me good. 

I still get the excitement of a PPV as I dont watch Raw or Smackdown. Half way through the show I start to think about fast forwarding and by the end I always get the feeling that there hasnt been anything on the PPV that I really remember. I do watch it in the baackground as I work from home but I could go 2 or 3 matches without actually looking up from my laptop !.

I do always feel I am unfair to the product though, I am 40 so not sure there is much I havent seen in wrestling. I miss a good promo, I cannot remember the last time I heard a great promo.

2014 was the last time I was interested and watched the main shows. It really felt like at WM30 they were on the cusp of finally transitioning to a new era after being so nostalgia heavy between about 08-14. If I can cheat a bit I loved NXT from the first Takeover upto about Dallas in 2016. There have been moments I have enjoyed since then but the ever explanding length of the Rumble and Mania have made even getting excited for those shows difficult. Aside from the horrid presentation of the TV product Bryan, Rollins and Balor getting injured whilst holding the title were huge disappointments for me as well as the lazy transitions from NXT.

Archived