When did you last enjoy WWE?

LEGIT

I'm intrigued to find out when people last enjoyed WWE. Do you enjoy it now? One year ago? Ten years? Twenty years? Honest answers please and hopefully some discussion back and forth.

AND ALSO. When did you last watch RAW week in week out, with no skipping etc., for more than 3 months? Your answer will probably be the same for both, but not necessarily.

I last enjoyed WWE and watched RAW for more than 3 months in 2010/11. I can't believe its been 8 years since I was a regular WWE viewer. I'd imagine for some other posters it will be much longer.

I remember 2010/11 not being perfect but still decent TV. Jerry Lawlers unexpected push was fun, as was Mizs main event heel act. The Rocks return was initially great and added a buzz. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk were knocking about having good matches and we had the pipe bomb going into summer 2011. I can't remember much more specifics. I really liked Mark Henry roughly at that time. I look back at that period with some fondness now. I can't remember when I stopped watching, but I remember thinking the mass roster walkout in protest of Miz and R-Truth particularly lame, and think I gave up not too long after that.  

I stopped watching regularly around the turn of the decade. I've dipped in and out since, but usually for little more than a couple of months at a time, which were usually around the Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania periods. After a couple of disappointing Rumble-Mania runs, I've pretty much not watched any WWE (or any other wrestling) in two or three years now. The last continuous run of wrestling I watched was the second or third series of Lucha Underground (no idea how many they're on now, if they're still going). Wrestlemania 30 stands out to me as the last time I watched a WWE show, enjoyed it and had an idea of who the wrestlers on the card were, and the storylines surrounding the matches. I wouldn't have a clue who's doing what anymore, but the pessimist in me thinks it'll most likely be strikingly similar to when I Iast watched. 

I'd like to make Raw or Smackdown a part of my weekly schedule again but the current product doesn't excite me nearly enough anymore, and the longer it's been, the less interest I have of 'getting back into it'. I still love watching the odd WCW, WWF or ECW YouTube video now and then but that's purely for nostalgia.

• Paid Members

Before they had the second brand split. It's too much product, especially with the Network 'PPVs'. I haven't got the time or inclination to watch what is often very average pro-wrestling for that length of time per week and month.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I enjoy WWE in that I regularly watch NXT and the UK specials. That satisfies me. I’ll then watch the PPVs I can, knowing that I’ll get a video package before each match catching me up on the storylines going that are playing out on the main roster.

I think if I tried to watch RAW and SmackDown week in, week out then I would be miserable and not enjoy it. I’ve never watched them religiously in the past either as my parents didn’t have Sky when I was growing up. I would check the results the next day at school in registration though (my form class happened to be in the IT lab, so we got 15 minutes or so on the computers before our first lesson of the day).

Edited by Your Fight Site

I think the last continuous stint of watching regularly and enjoying the product would be in 2016 from the Rumble until around Money in the Bank and even then I still missed Raw if I was busy. As close to a 3 month stint watching every week that I am certain of would be the first half of 2014 as I had plenty of time and enjoyed the build up to mania and the Shield / Evolution feud.

In fact 2014/15/16 I found the post Mania season quite enjoyable with some good call ups from NXT and short feuds, nothing seemed to drag quite as much as it does now. As people have said I really don't feel i've missed much for months right now. It's even made me just enjoy wrestling less.  

On a week to week basis I was probably most invested last in that groundswell of optimism that was happening around the time of WrestleMania XXX. 

WrestleMania was a home run, the Network had just launched, NXT became a bona fide phenomenon. Even things like Cesaro winning that battle royale seemed to cement this feeling that we were in this weird brave new world of just fan booking for the fans willing to pay a monthly subscription. 

Contrast that even to a year prior. WrestleMania 29 was a huge doldrum at the time. A shite undercard, Undertaker match where the result going in was more obvious than the few years prior and two unwanted rematches. 

I remember a few months after the Shield and Wyatts REALLY catching on, Raw having amazing matches every week, the Goldust rennaisance. All that was building to a pretty decent early 2014. 

I'll also concur with the pipe bomb era. Money In The Bank to WrestleMania 28 was - for all its pitfalls- an excellent time to be a fan. Remember that B show where Big Show and Menry broke the ring? The Kevin Nash at SummerSlam UKFF wank explosion? That was the last time I didn't go to bed straight after a PPV. There was so many times back then we were buzzing over what could happen on the next nights Raw. 

What could cause that now?

Edited by Gay as FOOK

12 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’ll then watch the PPVs I can, knowing that I’ll get a video package before each match catching me up on the storylines going that are playing out on the main roster.

This seems to be the best formula for me. Then catch Raw/Smackdown every so often if I have the time or any interest for one of the shows (e.g. Styles/Nukamura)

I stopped really caring after Wrestlemania 31. I felt they really should have put the title on Roman instead of having Seth cash in and maybe we wouldnt be in the mess we're in now.

Seth could have cashed in months later if Reigns wasnt working and someone else could have cashed in at a mania in the years following.

It was probably the last time i gave a toss about Brock aswell.

The brand split and the overkill on graphics (the entrance ramp, the ringposts and apron) in the following years has seriously turned me off.

• Paid Members

At a push...Wrestlemania 30. With The Shield, The Wyatt Family and Daniel Bryan it felt like they were on the verge of an exciting new chapter. You still had the truly terrible Authority involved in the storylines but there was the sense of all this new main event talent just ready to burst on to the scene and change everything up. But of course we all know how it ended up going. 

Good topic.

I went to Wrestlemania 17,19 and  20 and was so into it then. The dipped a little in the mid 2000's but decided to go WM30 and had an amazing time. Since WM31 though, I really struggle to watch the weekly show, I do enjoy it more watching the PPV's and catching up on all the angles watching the Pre-Shows.

The other issue I have is that I really enjoy watching the Vault section of the WWE Network. I have watched all the WCCW stuff, MACW, Nitro's, Prime Time, Mid South etc. I watch that stuff and it is so much more realistic and feels real (I know, its fake but you know what I mean). The new stuff seems to leave me thinking 'why is Michael Cole telling me who I should like and what a moment this is ?' surely I can decide that for myself. I do like NXT and the UK tourney stuff has been good but I think I like that because it is different, people look different and have different styles.

Final point, old man point, I cannot stand the crowd. I dont need to see someone dressed up as a wrestler in the crowd trying to get their face on tv (dont get me started on Fatheads). It was like the World Cup. Your team is losing and you are looking pensive until the fucking camera pans on you, you see it, and then start smiliing and mugging for the camera !!! WTF !!!

19 minutes ago, machinegunn said:

Final point, old man point, I cannot stand the crowd. I dont need to see someone dressed up as a wrestler in the crowd trying to get their face on tv (dont get me started on Fatheads). It was like the World Cup. Your team is losing and you are looking pensive until the fucking camera pans on you, you see it, and then start smiliing and mugging for the camera !!! WTF !!!

Ha, nicely put.  I long for the day when a football manager notices himself on the big screen and starts pointing and dancing.

I watched religiously until they started charging for PPVs in the UK. I caught the odd show here and there but essentially stopped watching full time since then. I wasn't willing (or able) to pay for all of the shows and my interest soon trailed off. I see the occasional show on the network now but I focus on old school stuff more. 

I stopped watching Raw and Smackdown regularly around the start of 2015. I split up with my partner at the time and ended up living with a friend who didn't have Sky Sports so I'd just catch up with highlights here and there. Since meeting my current missus and having a child, I may watch a couple of hours a week and that tends to be NXT. I'll usually try and watch the PPVs if they look good, otherwise I find it hard to dedicate my time to watch it on a regular basis.

In a lot of ways, the WWE are a victim of their own success. They're making a killing and have no real competition so there's no need to try. Plus with the Network there is something for everyone so you can still enjoy the content without necessarily caring about the current product. And whilst a lot of us slate modern day stuff (rightfully so in my opinion), its probably down to an age thing. There's kids now that watch it that'll be on this forum in 10 years time knocking the 2000th episode of Raw and be longing for the days of Jinder Mahal and the B-Team.

Edited by The Maestro
I lost my sandal