The Great UKFF Survey

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I've hated Bret Hart forever. Shawn Michaels nearly as much. So 1995 was an absolute car crash for me as I couldn't stand the two guys on top. I like my wrestling quite big and cartoony, superheroic, larger than life. Bret definitely isn't those things - in fact that's why people like him.

Bret wasn't on top in 1995. Probably the most offensive use of any top talent I can think of.

I get the love for the larger than life, drew me to Warrior and Savage. I can't get my head around not liking Bret though. He was always a proper blue eye. Worked his way up the ladder. Always had entertaining matches, even before I knew what entertaining matches were.

Michaels is different. He was a massive dick. And prior to late '95, he was actually trying to be.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All-time favourite wrestler? My top 3 always rotates between The Undertaker, Steve Austin and Kurt Angle depending on the day. I think Taker shades it most of the time, just an absolute classic. And yes I even loved the American Badass era. 

All-time favourite match? It's probably Austin v The Rock at WrestleMania X-7, but the other one that comes to mind is the Rock/Triple H Iron Man match from Judgment Day 2000. I was so impressed with all the work everyone put into that and the chaotic ending didn't take anything away from it, for me.

Favourite non-WWE match (if applicable)? I'm a big fan of Lucha Underground. There are too many crazy battles (usually involving Mil Muertes) to name but the most fun one for me, the one that got me into the whole thing a little late, was the second Aztec Warfare (a Rumble with pinfalls instead of over-the-top-rope eliminations). Lots of fun characters, crazy dives, the in-ring debut of Rey Mysterio, and a mad ending.

Favourite Tag Team? The D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-Dudley Boyz! I'm sorry but removing a 75-year-old woman from a wheelchair and powerbombing her off a stage and through a table is just the absolute peak of fucking batshit-insane things you can see on TV. They were also good in the ring, mind...

Favourite Promo? I forget what was said, but this one -

hqdefault.jpg

Best show ever attended live? I was super lucky in that my first and only WrestleMania was number 30. It was just brilliant, wasn't it? I never thought I'd hear Ultimate Warrior's theme live like that and that made me feel like a little kid again, and that was only a tiny percentage of the greatness going on that night. I never knew The Rock was going to appear, the opener with Trips and Bryan was fantastic, the main event somehow kept us guessing about the result, everyone went home ecstatic...and as Supremo mentioned earlier in the thread, that moment when everyone realised the Undertaker had lost at WrestleMania. It can't be described. Not counting Raw the next night, I basically decided there and then to never go out of my way to see wrestling live again. For the range of emotions felt, the atmosphere etc, it just won't be topped.

Moment you loved wrestling the most? I can't pinpoint the exact show but during that stretch of Raw where Steve Austin was making Vince's life a living hell, and you absolutely couldn't wait to see what happened next week.

Moment you hated wrestling the most? First moment that jumps out at me, weirdly, is the last two matches of WrestleMania 21. I remember sitting with my mates watching John Cena beat JBL for the WWE Title, then Batista beat Triple H for his first World Title, and I thought both bouts were absolutely terrible. Cena wasn't yet hated as he would be but I was already pining for 2003 and his entertaining heel run. I never liked Batista and watching HHH at this time wasn't easy. But you kinda realised Big Dave and Cena were the future, it started here, and I just wasn't on board with it.

The best WrestleMania is... X-7 and 19 are my favourites. Nowadays though, X-7 for me is just a two-match card, whereas I remember more matches and moments from 19, so that just shades it.

Most hated wrestling personality? Can't really think of anyone. Just gonna have to be lazy and say Stephanie McMahon.

Thing you'd most like to change about wrestling in 2018? Another lazy answer but just no more 3-hour Raws or 17-hour WrestleManias. And, of course, quit these gimmick-themed PPVs. Hell in a Cell should only be used for a feud as a last resort when two guys wanna kill each other. At this rate we're gonna have a shark cage PPV next year...

(In one word) Wrestling is.. bonkers.

• Paid Members

All-time favourite wrestler? It'll always be The Rock. Bloke just stood out completely from everyone else with his charisma and was also deceptively good in the ring. I popped huge when he returned in 2011 to the point I actually made the last minute trip to Wrestlemania 27. His second 'Run' was a bit hokey at times, but I still enjoyed his match with Punk and Cena. 

All-time favourite match? Rock/Austin at Wrestlemania 17. Gutting finish as a fan of The Rock but I'd been looking forward to it for a while and it duly delivered. I'd gotten into WWF religiously around the summer of 2000 and so this was really my first Wrestlemania. Aside from this, I have to give an honourable mention to Tyler Bate vs Pete Dunne from TakerOver Chicago last year, which is probably my favourite match of the modern era. Just an absolutely fucking fantastic match. 

Favourite non-WWE match (if applicable)? Going for an obscure one here, but at some point back in what I think was 2006, I attended a show in Littleport, Cambridgeshire and the main event featured Pac (Neville) against a chap called Paul Robinson, and at the time I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. They just flew all over the shop. The finish was Pac delivering a fallaway slam from the top rope whilst he effectively moonsaulted on top of Robinson at the same time to get the pin. Mesmerising at the time, especially for a random, low-key show like that in the middle of the fens.

Favourite Tag Team? Dudleyz. You could always rely on them to do the business for you playing as them on the original Smackdown game on the PS1. That was actually the game that introduced me to most of the WWF's superstars at the time, and after randomly channel flicking and stumbling across the real thing one day, the Dudleyz were one of the first people I recognised so I instantly gravitated towards them. Plus, at that impressionable young age, who didn't love them chucking people through tables at will?

Favourite Promo? Punk's pipebomb. Hard to appreciate now but at the time it was quite the thing to witness watching live. 

Best show ever attended live? I'd have to say Wrestlemania 27 in Atlanta. Definitely not the best in quality but it was the culmination of an amazing trip to the States, we met some great people around us in our section and had right good knees up. Raw the next night was much the same. 

Moment you loved wrestling the most? Probably Daniel Bryan winning the big one or the night of Rock's return in 2011. 

Moment you hated wrestling the most? Hard to narrow down to just one thing in all honesty, but Hornswoggle running into a fucking wall in a backstage skit was just the shits and it really grated on me for a long time. 

The best WrestleMania is... Torn between 17 and 30. 17 was my first, and as others have said it was great from bell to bell, but 30 kicked off brilliantly with the Rock/Austin/Hogan segment, had the epic conclusion of the Daniel Bryan saga and the shock of Undertaker's streak getting broken. 

Most hated wrestling personality? Vince McMahon, but he's also one of the personalities I also like the most. It's a love-hate thing. Love him for everything he's done for the company and for some memorable moments as a character, but hate some of the creative elements he oversees. Time to let Trips take the mantle.

Thing you'd most like to change about wrestling in 2018? WWE's main roster to take more elements from the successful creative ideas of NXT, also with a greater focus on eye-catching wrestling as opposed to some of the shit storylines we've seen on the main shows. I'm not a workrate/snowflakes junky, but NXT proves you can not only produce great wrestling that pops a crowd, but you can actually still make good wrestling compelling with the right storytelling/soap-opera before, during and after a given bout. 

(In one word) Wrestling is... Spectacle

• Paid Members

All-time favourite wrestler?

As a kid it was Tatanka and I went through a Mick Foley phase in the late 90's, but it has to be Bret 'Hit Man' Hart.

All-time favourite match?

British Bulldog v Bret, Summerslam 92.

Favourite non-WWE match (if applicable)?

Sting v Hulk Hogan in TNA.

Favourite Tag Team?

Demolition

Favourite Promo?

Jake the Snake before the match v Undertaker at Wrestlemania 8.

Best show ever attended live?

Has to be TNA at Manchester as I got to see Hulk Hogan wrestle live.

Moment you loved wrestling the most?

Hard to choose a single moment from the late 80's to early 90's

Moment you hated wrestling the most?

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, but generally the WWE's monopoly since 2002.

The best WrestleMania is...

Most hated wrestling personality?

A bit harsh maybe, but Edge just represents how wrestling fell of a cliff in the mid 2000's doesn't he? The personification of midcarder but the lack of star power means he's seen as a main eventer with a silly number of title reigns. There are others of course, but he jumps out for me.

Thing you'd most like to change about wrestling in 2018?

The WWE's cruise control mentality and ridiculously over-produced TV shows.

(In one word) Wrestling is...

Archived