Golden Boy MMA - Chuck vs. Tito III

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Oh, hell - I've just remembered: they tried to promote that fight via a shit angle in TNA!

That I'd completely forgotten says it all, really.

Still think that would be a good match to make if Golden Boy want to get more marketing clout out of Tito. If it's a match Coker would've made, you know it has marketing value.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Still think that would be a good match to make if Golden Boy want to get more marketing clout out of Tito. If it's a match Coker would've made, you know it has marketing value.

Was that not in the Bjorn days? Or had Coker taken over by then?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Was that not in the Bjorn days? Or had Coker taken over by then?

Y'know what, now that you mention it, I'm not sure now. Need to go Google it.

EDIT: Bloody hell, you're right! It was Sleazy Bjorn.

• Paid Members

I know you’re not saying he should fight on Carbomb. And I can certainly see De La Hoya promoting (if you can call it that) a fight like Tito vs Rampage but I really think Tito should stop now. He probably won’t but he really should. Going out on a KO win over Chuck Liddell, the man who always had his number, is as good as it’s ever going to get for him. It was fossil Chuck but it’s still a win over Chuck and that’s something I never ever thought Tito would have on his resume. In Tito’s tiny mind, that had to be the most satisfying and fulfilling fight of his career, even though it came against a shot to bits 48 year old. If he carries on now and it goes wrong he deserves it to go wrong. There are so few times a fighter gets to walk away on a high note and Tito was handed his dream result on a plate last weekend. If he carries on and gets battered or injured even worse then I have no doubt he’ll look back and regret not retiring after this Chuck fight. Plus at this point he’s being held together by tape, glue, hopes and dreams. And if he fights someone like Rampage the most likely outcome is he gets hurt. Rampage is coming to the finish line himself but I think he absolutely bashes Tito’s fat head in if they ever fight. If I was Tito I’d leave it alone. He got the unlikely last laugh over his career nemesis who was the better fighter. It’s like he won a competition to have anything he could wish for come true and he chose beating Chuck Liddell. He won’t get another winning ticket like that. As always though, depends how bad he needs the money. 

• Paid Members

Yeah but you know what he’s like. He can’t stay away. He’s like the Jehova’s Witness of MMA. He’ll keep coming back. He’ll retire then in 4 months time he’ll bump into De La Hoya at a coke and crossdressing party and next thing you know Tito’s claiming he can break the Mayweather-Pacquiao PPV record fighting 96 year old Mark Coleman or something. And you know De La Hoya would promote it. He’d probably stick Matt Hughes in his current condition on the undercard and sleep like a baby with a clear conscience. He has no soul. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I know you’re not saying he should fight on Carbomb. 

Oh no, not at all. I'd rather most fighters who are as shot as Tito just quit, because it's just a terrible thing to see, regardless of how likeable or not they are.

Frank Mir, for example - as obnoxious and infuriating as he is, it got to the point where I just didn't enjoy seeing him beaten any more, because it was getting a bit uncomfortable to watch the hammerings he was taking on a regular basis.

• Paid Members

Same. I can’t stand Mir - I don’t know if I’ve mentioned that before - but even I couldn’t really find much enjoyment in seeing him getting plopped down by Hunt and Fedor. Two of my all time favourites against my all time least favourite and I couldn’t take much pleasure in it. Of course, I was happy when Hunt and Fedor won but that was more relief that Mir didn’t beat them than rejoicing in him getting battered. He makes my skin crawl and I’ve loved watching him get slapped about over the years but I wouldn’t wish permanent damage on him or anything. 

Lance Pugmire (LA Times) & Kevin Iole are both saying this did 25k in buys, both guys along with Dan Raphael of ESPN are the guys who normally tell you Boxing PPV numbers.

I think some buys may even have been from Black Friday and the PPV was selling at $20 for a few days

On 11/28/2018 at 10:44 PM, Marshmallo said:

Chael's saying this sold 25k PPVs. Considering there was a Black Friday offer to buy at 19.95 they must've lost a fortune, or no one got paid. 

On 11/28/2018 at 11:18 PM, Keith Houchen said:

He's hardly a trustworthy source, to be fair.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, the_mole said:

Lance Pugmire (LA Times) & Kevin Iole are both saying this did 25k in buys, both guys along with Dan Raphael of ESPN are the guys who normally tell you Boxing PPV numbers.

I think some buys may even have been from Black Friday and the PPV was selling at $20 for a few days

Interesting

• Paid Members

40,000 im seeing now which doesnt include any kind of streaming sales. Whatever the real number its pretty clear that the show tanked pretty hard. Guess that'll be Golden Boy out of the MMA game.

29 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

40,000 im seeing now which doesnt include any kind of streaming sales. Whatever the real number its pretty clear that the show tanked pretty hard. Guess that'll be Golden Boy out of the MMA game.

Nope, it won't be their last show at all. As I said earlier, this initial show was being looked at as a loss-leader, an event to get their name out there in MMA, start with a bang so to speak. Anyone who thinks that behind closed doors these guys thought they were selling a shitload of PPV's based on the Chuck vs Tito fight are being naive. Golden Boy aren't mugs, they know at least as much as the plebs do, and I've yet to see anyone who legit thought this show was shifting a ton.

What they've got from it though is the exposure and PR that comes with being in the news, which is probably worth what they'll lose through this event. 

We'll likely see them throw on a few shows next year depending on which free agents are available, and I've even heard they may try to combine MMA fights with their boxing cards, which would be interesting.

• Paid Members

Oscar himself said he was expecting 200,000-400,000 buys. Why would he say that if he was reastically expecting it to do far less? 

Combine that with unanimously bad reviews and press coming out of it and id say they are off to a bit of a shocker.

Archived