Golden Boy MMA - Chuck vs. Tito III

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The build continues to be weird. Oscar completely fluffing the press conference is all over social media at the moment.

Brendan Schaub has done sit downs with both Ortiz and Liddell too. You may not like Schaub but his sit downs are usually pretty good.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched a few promo packages for this. 

If I didn't know any better I would think that it was Tito who legitimately hated Chuck, rather than vice versa. Tito is reciting the lines he used in the build-up to their 2004 fight. He's also playing games by claiming that he has inside information on Chuck's camp (he did the same before the Bonnar fight). Of course, he's in full salesmanship mode. I haven't taken anything Tito has said seriously in over a decade.

Chuck is just treating it as a standard tune-up fight. Like he's Oscar De La Hoya fighting Steve Forbes. He's so dismissive of the fight you could be forgiven for forgetting that he legitimately despises Tito. 

It's a strange state of affairs. 

Chuck never looked all that great physically in his prime to be honest, he's never been an athlete. He's just a tough fucker who can crack, and who has great takedown defence.

The big question is, does he still have ability to stop those shots? If we were talking about a modern MMA fighter trying to take him down my answer would be no, but this isn't a modern MMA fighter he's facing, it's a Tito Ortiz with a fucked neck, back and knees. Will he be able to get the fight to the floor?

If it stays standing there's every chance Liddell cracks Tito's chin and sends him to the floor. He won't have lost any of his power.

Here's some footage of Chuck training back in 2008, and while he's obviously a bit more agile then it's hardly a whole shitload of difference. He's never been all that great to look at.

• Paid Members

I think the big question is whether or not Tito decides to stand and trade. He may think he has the beating of Chuck now and try to stand which could play into Chucks hands because he'll definitely still carry power. If Tito does decide to take him down and grind him out though he wins a clear decision.

• Paid Members

Chuck doesn’t look good there but my expectations were rock bottom anyway so it’s not really a shock. He still looks like he hits hard and a few of the combos there were fairly fast for a guy pushing 50. He wouldn’t be troubling a Jon Jones, or even a Latifi/OSP level 205er, with those kind of shots but it might be enough to clobber Tito. I hope. It’s him seeming to get out of breath so quickly that concerns me. 

It’s kind of hard to read from clips like this though. Chuck’s always been awkward in how he moves. I remember reading in his book years ago that he was born with some joint problem and had to go through pretty extensive physio as a kid. It’s why he’s always walked a bit funny, like a sort of Frankenstein walk. All stems from the problems he had as a child. So when I see him in these videos I’m not expecting him to look very smooth. Like David says, he didn’t even in his prime. And that video doesn’t help that you can hear Tito shitting on everything he does for most of it. He doesn’t look good. I’m just praying he connects with a bomb and wipes Tito out early because, of all the questions going into this fight, one thing I am sure about is that Tito is going to hold up better cardio-wise if it’s a longer fight. I thought that anyway just based on Tito being more active and Chuck’s ring rust. And after watching Chuck looking winded doing basic pad work there, I’m even more sure a longer fight favours Tito. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

If Tito does decide to take him down and grind him out though he wins a clear decision.

It might not be as simple as that though. It might not be about what Tito decides if he can’t take Chuck down. Tito’s not exactly the explosive wrestler he was either. I actually think Tito’s got a good chance on the feet. As much as that saddens me to admit. Chuck’s chin is gone. It’s toast. There’s dust there where Chuck’s once rock chin was. And while Tito is far from a great striker, he’s competent. I’d say he’s a bit better than he was when he last fought Chuck. I rewatched the first two fights last night and Tito landed a fair bit on the feet in the second fight in 2006. And that was Chuck pretty much in his prime. If he connects clean here I could easily see it being lights out. I’ve got zero confidence in Chuck’s ability to take a dig now. He was never a defensive marvel in his prime but he could walk through most shots to land a bomb. But it’s 2018, his chin is powder and now he’s older and slower he’s even less likely to be able to get out of the way of the punches. Especially if he’s anticipating Tito going for takedowns. I can see Tito faking a shot then coming up high with a punch and Chuck plopping down like a sack of spuds. 

Really hope I’m wrong and Chuck smashes him to bits though. Tito’s so fucking cocky right now, thinking he’s got this in the bag, if Chuck knocks him out it’ll be up there with one of my favourite fight results ever.

One of the saddest things about this fight is that if Chuck somehow beats Tito again, it will have minimal effect on Tito's ego. He figured out over 15 years ago that Chuck was a better fighter than him. Yet, if Chuck gets blitzed by Tito on Saturday as expected, it will properly peeve Chuck off. Tito is probably going to get the last laugh in this rivalry when he really shouldn't.

I hope the whole thing gets called off somehow. Even if it does fuck over Golden Boy's foray into MMA. 

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I rewatched the first two fights last night and Tito landed a fair bit on the feet in the second fight in 2006.

Aye. 

In fairness to Tito, he put in a herculean effort in the build up to that fight and he left nothing on the table on fight night. He just couldn't crack the code. He was made for Chuck. 

• Paid Members

Luke Thomas did a really great little interview with Rashad Evans here breaking down this Chuck vs Tito fight. Interesting listening, especially as he fought both men.

He also confirms that he’ll be doing colour commentary for this show. Along with Frank Mir. Ugh. But to be fair, Frank’s always been good at that stuff. Don’t know who’s doing the play-by-play. 

Fucking love Rashad. I hope he does a good job commentating this clusterfuck and hopefully it’ll lead to him doing some colour on UFC shows in the future. He’s been criminally underused in that area IMO. He’s not even on as a FOX analyst much either. Shame, because he’s one of the best out there at it for me. Great at breaking down fights and fighters, never boring to listen to and he’s really likeable. It’s probably blasphemy to most MMA fans but I’d actually rather have Rashad doing colour than Dom Cruz. Maybe it’s his choice though to not take on that schedule. 

Nice to hear that he seems at peace with being retired as well. Hopefully he sticks to it. 

Fucking hell!! Literally couldn't give tickets away!  I did like the bits I saw where De La Hoya didn't seem to have a fucking clue what was going on.  Stick to boxing, Oscar, you're good at that.  There has been a fuck up with Fite TV as well, they were meant to have a Black Friday deal to get the PPV cheap but that's not happening, or something.

Archived