Golden Boy MMA - Chuck vs. Tito III

Egg Shen

But, that Big Nog knockout is like a fine wine. It’s aged spectacularly well because it’s only with time we’ve realised what a proper nobhead Schaub is.

If Old Man Chuck sparks Tito it’ll be like a blowjob from a supermodel. Spectacular at the time, and the memory isn’t half bad either.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nah, Nog vs Schaub was sweet at the time as well. Schaub was always a twat to me. And he was right in the middle of his little legend killer phase. First he'd beat a Gabriel Gonzaga who was about to retire briefly. Then he knocked out maybe the worst version of Mirko Cro Cop there's ever been, and Mirko was still giving him grief before the KO. Then he got all cocky and called out Nog. Nog hadn't fought in about 18 months and had not long had surgery on both hips and his knee. Clearly, Schaub knew this and was looking for an easy win over another fading legend. 

jvcbcd9t0ec11.gif

Nog wasn't having that. Not in Brazil. 

Of course, in the years since Schaub has shown himself to be even more of a div so that knockout is all the sweeter in retrospect. But even at the time I remember being overjoyed with how that fight went. As a huge Nog fan and a Schaub hater, it was beautiful stuff. It'd be difficult for a fight to make me happier than I was watching that. 

I haven't even seen any of Schaub's standup comedy (because why would I?) but he'd be hard pressed to beat his 'standup' against No Hips Nog that night. Shit was hilarious. 

The context of the Big Nog knockout has been transformed. At the time, it was perceived as a golden moment because it involved Nog winning on home soil. Most of Pride's alumni have great sentimental value, but I would argue that Nog is one of the most universally beloved fighters in MMA history. For me, Schaub was a supporting character in that fight. He was a contestant on TUF 10, but I can barely remember his input on the show to be honest. Beyond getting a bit mouthy about Lesnar's camp at one point, I don't really remember him saying or doing anything notable after TUF either. He was just a decent prospect. 

Now the fight has the added novelty of Schaub getting his clocked cleaned because, as stated above, people are a bit sick of him. Through Rogan's podcast and other outlets, the fucker is in the spotlight more than ever. Much more than he was in 2011. Personally, I don't hate him, but his shtick isn't my cup of tea. 

• Paid Members

Doesn’t mean much of anything but I’ll whack this in here anyway. Chuck and Tito have both posted photos of how they’re looking a month out from the fight. Guessing De La Hoya’s given them the number of Canelo’s butcher for some of that beef that makes you ripped. 

E9402F05-EF77-421F-A16B-38EC52650D04.jpeg

• Paid Members

They’ve got a fucking cheek charging £20 for this. Two old relics and a bollocks undercard for the same price Sky and BT charged for Joshua vs Klitschko, Mayweather vs McGregor and Canelo vs Golovkin. I hope it does 2 buys. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The promotion for this has taken a strange path. The focus now primarily seems to be on how bad Chuck has looked hitting mitts. Tito's been slagging him off but thinks Chuck may be sandbagging on purpose, the media are questioning Chuck about it and Chucks saying people are seeing warmup routines, its all abit mental.

The fight is going to be a bit of a circus but im oddly excited. I hope Chuck somehow wins though, i dont think i can handle seeing Tito win and claim to be the better man overall.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:02 AM, Egg Shen said:

The promotion for this has taken a strange path. The focus now primarily seems to be on how bad Chuck has looked hitting mitts. Tito's been slagging him off but thinks Chuck may be sandbagging on purpose, the media are questioning Chuck about it and Chucks saying people are seeing warmup routines, its all abit mental.

I remember the build for Manny Pacquiao vs Antonio Margarito years ago. The countdown shows concentrated on Pacquiao slacking in training and taking the fight lightly. HBO's strategy was logical. It made it seem that Margarito could pull off the upset, which obviously created a bit of suspense for a fight that some expected to be one-sided. 

Here, I don't think there are any clever promotional tactics at play. I think Chuck is a corpse, who will likely get buzzed by a fighter who had little to offer him in his prime. I can't blame Tito and Chuck for trying to draw attention away from the inevitable. The last thing most people want to see is Chuck embarrass himself. It's not what people will want to part with money to see. But you can't polish a turd. 

Of course, I hope I am wrong,

In many ways I see this as a far lesser quality version of Conor vs Khabib. If Ortiz gets the takedown it's pretty much all over, while Chuck obviously has the power to stop the fight on the feet.

I give him a punchers chance early on, but can't see him doing much if the fight goes past a few minutes.

Archived