Golden Boy MMA - Chuck vs. Tito III

Egg Shen

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Oscar himself said he was expecting 200,000-400,000 buys. Why would he say that if he was reastically expecting it to do far less?Ā 

Combine that with unanimously bad reviews and press coming out of itĀ and id say they are off to a bit of a shocker.

Oscar also said that both Liddell and Ortiz could look "better than ever" and that it's "never too late" for guys like this. He's a promoter, it's what he's supposed to do. I know we're used to Dana throwing his fighters under the bus, but this is how you're supposed to do it.

It was obvious from the off that signing Chuck vs Tito was to make waves and gain PR.Ā 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

but its shocking PR, how can you even attempt to put a positive spin on it? if they were expecting low PPV numbers why even throw out a figure they knew they wouldnt get?Ā it tanked and the reaction was shocking. What are the positives?

Tito said before the fight that the show was a bit of experiment and the continuation of Golden Boy MMA would depend on well the show performed. Based on that id say theres a good chanceĀ that they never putting on another show.

I guess we'll see, but I'd be willing to wager that with the amount of free agents we're seeing popping up here and there we'll see them put on some more fights.

That particular fight was really never going to draw much interest in this day and age, but the actual show itself was spot on I thought. They got the production right, it looked the part, and if they can sign a few fighters they can maybe even look to do some co-promotion with some of the smaller MMA promotions.

They're applying a boxing model to this remember, so they won't really be operating like an MMA company with a roster of fighters who all face each other.

• Paid Members

Yeh id love to see them continue, i enjoyed the actual show and give it some positive feedback on the previous pages, i just dont see them doing so based on the reaction and them sales figures.Ā 

Just now, Egg Shen said:

Yeh id love to see them continue, i enjoyed the actual show and give it some positive feedback on the previous pages, i just dont see them doing so based on the reaction and them sales figures.Ā 

In all honesty, if they came into MMA thinking they'd promote a fight like that and get decent numbers and be off & running they are morons.

I personally don't think they were thinking that way though. They'll have a bigger picture approach, and if Chuck vs Tito failing, which every fucker knew was going to bomb,Ā is going to make them scrap their plans then they're better off out of it.

I think we'll see them continue though, although not in the format that we're used to seeing.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 11/28/2018 at 3:37 PM, David said:

If I was Oscar I'd be all over that promo, using it to create "beef" and get yourself some publicity. Shoot an interview addressing it, asking Dana to call you a cokehead to your face, rather than from the safety of his golden throne, which has been paid for by the concussions and broken bones of his underpaid fighters.

Close enough.

Oscar saying all the right things there, although making it work is a different proposition altogether.

Still, any MMA fan should want Golden Boy to succeed. More ways for fighters to make money, competition for free agents, it makes things better.

• Paid Members

Im hoping they do throw their hat in the ring but building a huge show around free agents is going to be tough. I think Oscar was reacting there rather than having speaking about a plan thats actually in place for Golden Boy MMA to continue.

8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im hoping they do throw their hat in the ring but building a huge show around free agents is going to be tough. I think Oscar was reacting there rather than having speaking about a plan thats actually in place for Golden Boy MMA to continue.

He's right though, a quasi-boxing model could work, especially for those fighters who are marketable and/or talented to a high level.Ā 

• Paid Members

Aye. If you're a Conor or a GSP, getting offered more of what you bring in is definitely appealing. Not everyone in boxing gets rich, of course, the undercard fighters are famously just as screwed as the UFC ones. However, long term, Golden Boy coming in and offering more to the draws will surely be better. If it gets some traction, the UFC will probably have to give a bit more too to secure their biggest and/or best.

However, one of the more appealing aspects of doing a UFC to promoters etc is that such a tiny percentage of their income goes towards paying fighters. I'm certain someone at Golden Boy noticed and it's why they may fancy giving MMA a go, as tricky as it is.Ā I mean, is any of that big money from their telly deals going towards bumping fighters pay? They don't have to, so they probably will not bother.

I had fully expected McG to investigate the idea of going down that route, which is why I was surprised he tied himself to the UFC earlier this year. If anyone was going to make the break and test the water with a boxing-esque model it would have been him I'd have thought.Ā 

There's a video from TSN, guy goes hard on De LA Hoya, speaks about PPV buys, mentions 30,000 buys from LA Times. Oscar said they sold most on digital buys. Then guy said Chuck shouldn't have fought, Oscar gives the commission approved it and if Dana didn't like it, he should have paid his fighters more.

Interviewer says what about the guys on $1,000, Oscar says those are amateur fighters, Interviewer says amateur means you don't get paid.

Oscar then said these are 4 round fighters, I mean 3 round fighters, Interviewer says every fight on the card was 3 round fight

https://mobile.twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1072607196175888384?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1072607196175888384&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231072607196175888384

1 minute ago, the_mole said:

There's a video from TSN, guy goes hard on De LA Hoya, speaks about PPV buys, mentions 30,000 buys from LA Times, Oscar said they sold most on digital buys, then guy said Chuck shouldn't have fought, Oscar gives the commission approved it and if Dana didn't like it, he should have paid his fighters more, interviewer says what about the guys on $1,000, Oscar says those are amateur fighters, interviewer says amateur means you don't get paid, Oscar then said these are 4 round fighters, I mean 3 round fighters, Interviewer says every fight on the card was 3 round fight

https://mobile.twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1072607196175888384?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1072607196175888384&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231072607196175888384

The takeaway from all of that is that Oscar should never fight again.

And that you love commas.

Archived