Golden Boy MMA - Chuck vs. Tito III

Egg Shen

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

think Tito/Chuck were on a base $250,000 each. The big bucks would have come through the gate and the ppv sales, they'd have had a cut of both. Whether or not Golden Boy did another show depended heavily on the success of the PPV.

I am not sure how credible Meltzer is these days. But he thinks that the show did around 90k buys. He also estimated that Ortiz and Chuck would pocket around a million dollars each from their fight purse and PPV share.  

I think Golden Boy are going to find it difficult to run another PPV. Who could they headline with? Had Chuck won, they could have thrown money at another legend to fight him. Perhaps Wanderlei if he wasn't under contract to Bellator. But after this weekend no one wants to see Chuck fight again. Most didn't really want him to return to MMA in the first place. 

Tito? He probably would fight for them again. But who would you match him with? Frank Shamrock would perhaps be an option. However, I don't think that fight would generate much interest in 2018. Frank doesn't have the same marquee value that Chuck has. 

• Paid Members

Has Frank shown any interest in fighting again though? I know he did that nothing happening grappling thing with Sakuraba last year but an actual MMA fight is another beast and he’s 45 years old now. Plus his win over Tito in 1999 was arguably the best of his career. He can’t really beat Tito any better than he did back then. I mean, I’d think he’d look better than Chuck did, which says more about Chuck than Frank sadly, but...I’d hate to see it. I really don’t want to see Tito go on some revenge tour getting wins over the shells of guys who soundly beat him back in the day. Hopefully Frank would have more sense. But then if they offer him enough coin, I couldn’t blame him taking it either. But like you say, he’s not the name Chuck is. It would be fucking awesome though if Frank Shamrock came out of retirement and pissed on Tito’s success like it’s 1999 all over again. 

I heard him say (think monday or tuesday, so quite early to really estimate buys) he estimated 70k earlier in the week and 30% each cut and golden boy getting 40% of gate & PPV buys and Chuck & Tito making around $1.25 million each including their fight purse but when he did that he never counted the costs Golden Boy would have to pay advertising & everything else needed to put a show on and that wouldn't just come out of Golden Boys end obviously.

• Paid Members

moving on to some other positives from the card...im not sure if any of you saw anything on the show but the obvious highlight was Deron Winn in the co-main event. Whilst the entire card seemed a bit thrown together with whatever available names they could get within the budget, Winn was the one guy who seemed to have some buzz on the broadcast. Not sure if Golden Boy see Winn as a possible name they can cling too if they move forward with MMA or if Tito Ortiz has some kind of plan with him? (Tito spoke before the show about wanting to manage and build talent) but Winn dominated Tom Lawlor and looked real impressive in doing so. First off, Winn might be the smallest 205'lber ive ever seen, the broadcast had him labelled as 5'7 i think but Winn himself has said he's 5'5. He trains with AKA, has an elite level wrestling background and seems to have a boxing game similar to DC who was in corner. I'd imagine he'll have to move to at least 185 going forward but keep an eye on the name in 2019.

Oh, the Tibau/Escudero was good value too. Couple of vets slinging the guns, good fight. I thought Escudero was a bit hard done by not to pick up the decision too.

18 minutes ago, the_mole said:

I heard him say (think monday or tuesday, so quite early to really estimate buys) he estimated 70k earlier in the week and 30% each cut and golden boy getting 40% of gate & PPV buys and Chuck & Tito making around $1.25 million each including their fight purse but when he did that he never counted the costs Golden Boy would have to pay advertising & everything else needed to put a show on and that wouldn't just come out of Golden Boys end obviously.

Aye, that's what I heard. I had it in my head that he said 90k. But it was probably 70k. 

22 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Has Frank shown any interest in fighting again though?

He considered fighting Tito a few years back. 

It depends on whether he sticks to the "window had closed" position, which he had initially taken before the Ortiz fight was offered to him. But aye, I wouldn't want him to take the fight if it was offered to him in 2019. 

A few years ago, when Bellator started pulling big ratings for nostalgia fights, he was contacted again for a fight with Tito Ortiz, a return match from what many considered the greatest fight in the pre-Zuffa history of the UFC. At the time, he said he considered it, but Ortiz had no interest, saying a title fight with then-champion Liam McGeary was more important than rematch a loss from more than 15 years earlier. And once again, Shamrock said the window had closed.

Tito is massive, made Chuck look small, him Vs Shlemenko was like they were two weight classes below him, then Shlemenko nearly beat Gegard Mousasi. Tito has been fighting fairly recently and Frank Shamrock was probably lucky he faced Tito then, he bailed when Bas Rutten & Vitor Belfort were talking about moving to 200lbs (middleweight limit at the time) Bas never did, Chuck came up beating former HW champ Randleman who was now at 205,  Vitor did alright & Randy Couture eventually dropped down, probably, stopped at the right time and that's not mentioning the guys in Pride at that time.

Frank Mir has a challenge as Tim Sylvia said he would come out of retirement just for a fight with him, probably still pissed Mir broke his arm and Herb Dean rightly stopped it, even though Tim wanted to continue and lost his title and I think a year of his career.

• Paid Members

FUCK. Mir vs Sylvia 2, in 20-bastard-19, might be even sadder and more tragic than Chuck vs Tito 3. De La Hoya would probably love it though. I look forward to him forgetting their names at the pre-fight presser. 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:51 AM, Egg Shen said:

Whether or not Golden Boy did another show depended heavily on the success of the PPV.

That's not what I've read.

Basically, they're treating it like boxing, where they said they'll look into putting on another show if there's a fight that they deem suitable for promoting, and that will depend on who's out of contract and when. If the stars align and two guys are free to negotiate their own deals and it makes sense we'll see another show, and if not, we won't.

This was a dry run for them in the MMA world. I seriously doubt anyone thought they'd make any real money, but what they did do was get the name of the promotion into MMA circles. That's the payoff here, not the dollar amount.

It was a loss leader of sorts.

• Paid Members

Is there a reason why Ortiz hasn't fought Rampage? Did they train together, or something like that? Because if there isn't one, that could be a match for Golden Boy to make.

• Paid Members

They used to train together a bit way back but nothing that would stop them fighting. It just never lined up. In the UFC it never happened because either Rampage was champ and there were more deserving challengers than Tito, or one was coming off a loss and the other a win or whatever. Or there were just better fights to make at the time. Or Tito was out injured again. I don’t think there was any one real reason it didn’t happen, it just didn’t end up lining up. 

They did sign to fight in Bellator a few years ago though. They were set to headline Bellator’s first PPV but Tito got injured AGAIN and pulled out. 

B88B4995-04D4-44F7-AAD4-F5C9C695A0FE.jpeg

Archived