Golden Boy MMA - Chuck vs. Tito III

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Well, by all account its going down. Id imagine wand. will bring his A game with his pre-fight write up but this thing is a way off and i wanna chat about it.

When this thing has been talked about in the past i wasnt on board, i didnt wanna see Chuck come back and the feud was finished so conclusively the first time i never felt the need to see it again. Seeing the two square off and hearing Chuck speak this week, im fucking in. I dont know why, its just clicked that this thing might be a lot of fun. Theres something genuine and scary about Chuck Liddell, he has sort of built in intensity that only true fighters have and for that reason i just wanna see him throw down again, the mans a maniac. 

tito_chuck1.00_00_25_06.still001_01.jpeg

Chuck/Tito was the feud that really cemented my position as an MMA fan. Tito/Ken got me interested, but Chuck/Tito nailed it in, ill never forget watching that first fight, my heart was pounding out of my chest. Great times.

Lets talk it up...god knows how Golden Boy approach it, i have no idea if people will wanna pay PPV money for it on 2018, but i for one will be watching.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll watch this but I'll feel dirty afterwards. 

Chuck's saying all the right things but there's an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. I can't take the moral high ground because ultimately I'll be tuning in out of morbid curiosity but I'd rather it wasn't happening. When Chuck retired in 2010, the feeling even back then was that he'd carried on maybe a fight or two longer than he should've done. The Shogun fight was even billed as being it for Chuck at the time, if I recall it right. I vaguely remember Rogan and Dana getting all emotional about it at the top of the show. Then he came back again to coach TUF opposite Tito, which ended up as Chuck vs Rich Franklin when Tito pulled out. His chin was dust then. It won't have got any better in the 8 years since. And now everything else has likely slowed down and deteriorated as well, his reflexes, timing, reaction times etc. Just got a feeling this is going to look sad. Something like BJ Penn's last few fights. And even if it's a pleasant surprise and Chuck looks decent and clobbers Tito's massive head in, that just means he'll continue fighting and with the way the current UFC owners are, they'll probably be wheeling him out to get smashed up by Jon Jones by the end of the year. Anything for those extra PPV numbers. 

Chuck is done. He shouldn't be fighting at all. But of course it's his choice. But if he's going to fight, they need to manage it carefully and match him up with realistic opponents. This Tito fight was unnecessary because Chuck's already proved he was the better man over two one-sided fights. But I get it, if he's fighting it needs to be against guys from that era, like Tito, who are at the end of their career. Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva being the two obvious examples in Bellator. I'd hope not but I wouldn't even be shocked to see Dan Henderson make a comeback to fight Chuck somewhere either. What Chuck really needs to be saved from though, is his own confidence and self belief. He keeps banging on about fighting Jon Jones and there's not even a hint of him joking when he says it. He is deadly serious. He actually thinks that at 40-whatever he is, after 8 years out the game and with no chin, that he can beat Jon Jones. Someone close to Chuck - whether it be his wife, Dana, John Hackleman, or whoever - needs to talk Chuck off the ledge on this stuff. There are always fights you can do with an ageing fighter if you're realistic and sensible about it. But, as D'Lo Brown said, you have to recognise...when you're not in your prime anymore. And Chuck's prime ended at least 10 years ago. 

Tito's going to chin him, isn't he? :( And yes, that is the main reason I'm so down on this fight. 

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

When Chuck retired in 2010, the feeling even back then was that he'd carried on maybe a fight or two longer than he should've done. The Shogun fight was even billed as being it for Chuck at the time, if I recall it right. I vaguely remember Rogan and Dana getting all emotional about it at the top of the show. Then he came back again to coach TUF opposite Tito, which ended up as Chuck vs Rich Franklin when Tito pulled out. His chin was dust then. It won't have got any better in the 8 years since.

Spot on

Most MMA fans and seemingly the UFC were willing Chuck on in the build-up to the Franklin fight. Chuck said and seemingly did all the right things in the build-up. But he just wasn't the same fighter anymore. Despite breaking Franklin's arm with a body kick, he was stopped for the third consecutive fight. He would have walked through Franklin five years earlier. 

I can't see this ending well. The mind is willing, but the body is too far gone. 

• Paid Members

Tito hints in the video i posted that hes expecting this thing to do close to 1.5 million PPV buys. In 2018 thats just insanity, they'll be lucky to do 100,000 wont they?

That Chuck mitt work has me worried.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Its gonna be a boxing style card where the main fight will be promoted but everything else will be filler. Tito himself has said that he gets no base salary for this, its all dependent on the PPV sales so i imagine any budget for the undercard is minimal too.

They are gonna have to do a hell of a sell job. 

It reminds me a lot of Bernard Hopkins/Roy Jones Jr. 2  which happened in 2010. That was a rematch no one wanted, especially 17 years after the first encounter, and both past their primes (although Hopkins incredibly re-invented himself aftert this). It tanked on PPV with 150,000 buys and the actual fight was a shocker. I feel the same vibe with Chuck/Tito. 

• 1 month later...

Archived