UFC 227: Dillashaw vs Garbrandt 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

TJ winning and calling out DJ for ducking him is the move.

I'm right into both main events. TJ v Cody is an incredible story that's easy to get into because of their personalities. I don't think I've changed my opinion on a fighter more than Cody. As wand rightly points out, he can't help but come across as a meathead with a slow wit and fast temper, but at the same time he can seem like a decent guy in interviews. Although I went off him when he was crowing on about that KO footage and it turned out to be a momentary knockdown - of course, TJ follows it up by knocking him him out and winning the belt.
There are a few "TJ is a dick" stories, but they seem to all come from his ex team mates with a bit of a agenda.

Anyway, high level fight that, with two fighters P4P are up there.

I've said my bit about why I find DJ v Cejudo compelling, but I'd never bet against DJ. I'm hoping for at least a longer scrap. If he shuts out Cejudo 2.0 it's maybe his most impressive victory, IMO.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'd say Cody and TJ are so similar that it's probably why they hate each other, and why it's quick to jump between admiring or disliking them. To be fair to TJ though - he's got valid reasons for his grievances with the UFC and Cody is naturally going to come into that.  He took two fights since losing a split decision to Dominik Cruz before being granted another title shot, while Cody dances straight back in after no defences and being KO'd That should have been Dillashaw. 

• Paid Members

Rumble? Give Gus a chance to get his win back? Assuming that Rumble has actually come back.

Otherwise the only ones that might come to mind are OSP or Corey Anderson (but then that means dropping his match with Glover).

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Latifi was pulled from the Glover fight because he is injured, but I wonder if he can make the show?

Isn't Latifi Gustafsson's teammate though? 

It's a mess. Like you say, Gus vs Glover 2 feels pointless. Giving Gus a shot at revenge against Rumble would've been cool but Rumble's retired. Jones is out being a fuckup. Rashad's done. He's already beat Shogun. Corey Anderson's fighting Glover now. 

Maybe OSP is the best option, like Carbomb mentioned. Is he booked? But still, would he take a fight against Gustafsson on 2 weeks notice? 

This is where they could've done with a Machida or Mousasi. I know they were middleweights but they've both had success at 205 before and Mousasi in particular seems the type who is always ready to jump in when situations like this crop up. 

If all else fails, they could always phone Chuck Liddell :/ 

• Paid Members

Oh, I was unaware that was the case, wand. There goes that.

OSP is a good shout. He fought near enough a month ago and won quite quickly. Depending on how OSP trains and looks after himself between fight camps, he may be in decent enough shape for two weeks notice.

• Paid Members

Yeah I like the idea of the OSP fight, to be fair. OSP's been fun recently. If they both come in at their best I think Gus beats him every time but OSP's still dangerous and he's got the size to possibly give Gus a tougher time. I hope Gus vs OSP is the route they take with this. Not a huge fight but perfectly solid for the middle of a PPV. 

• Paid Members

That would be a massive step up for Rountree but it's probably worth the gamble for him. He's still relatively early in his career so a loss to a top name like Gustafsson wouldn't fuck him up too much. But a win would be huge for him. If there was ever a time to catch Gus off form, maybe now's as good a time as any given his inactivity. What a massive year it'd be for Rountree if he knocked out Gokhan Saki and scored the upset over Gustafsson. 

I am looking forward to T.J vs Cody 2. Their first fight was ace. it's hard to take a side though. Neither are particularly likeable. 

I think Cody wins the rematch. I get the impression that he is the better fighter of the two. Had the first round been 30 seconds longer in their first fight, there is a good chance that Cody would have scored the stoppage. 

He’s not injured, is he?

He just doesn’t want to take a last minute replacement against a lower ranked fighter. 

I think we’re now watching the first real generation of fighters who were brought up with the ranking system, have been led to believe it matters, and frankly it’s killing the sport.

Cormier’s post about Gus seems pretty much bang on the money.

• Paid Members

I bet he does have a "minor injury", but a lot of fighters do come fight night, and I'm sure if the original fight was happening Gus would have fought.

If he's just avoiding a lesser ranked fighter then he's completely buggered it. DC's been very honest that he doesn't see the point in fighting Gus again, so needs as little reasons as possible as to why he shouldn't fight Gus, but here we are.

Gus only has a 5 month window and in that time he's got to fit a fight in.

Archived