Jake Roberts vs Ultimate Warrior wwF

JudyBagwell

Who was really the better in ring performer? Both wrestled programs against Savage and Rude, and to my mind Warrior had the better matches. Roberts had great promo and reaction but what 4 star plus matches can you really point to? Its easy to hate on Warrior but he does have a body of work you can point to in the wwF that in my mind tops Roberts. 

• Paid Members

Neither was a workhorse but I always enjoyed Warrior far, far more. When SCG did their "guys you soured on" pod, Roberts was mine. He talks a great game about psycology but I can't ever remember him having a match I'd want to see again, other than the blindfold match which is a bit of fun. He never gets out of second gear, he doesn't take you on a journey and if the climax is the DDT, you never saw that unless he was killing a jobber on superstars. He likes his wanking analogy but his matches are the equivilent of your Mam walking in just as you're about to get to the vinegar strokes.

Warrior always had far more energy, sold in a way the crowd bought and exploded into comebacks and delivered the ending people wanted to see. Just much more fun to watch.

• Paid Members

Jake's matches with Rude, Steamboat and Savage are better than 99% of Warrior's work. Warrior had two great matches, but they were really great matches - if we're willing to take a wrestler at their absolute best as representative of their work, then I'd say Warrior's best matches were probably better than Jake's best matches (with the possible exception of Roberts/Steamboat at The Big Event), and Jake's worst were probably at least as bad as Warrior's worst (though for very different reasons) - but Jake's middle ground is a lot stronger than Warrior's.

Both get most of their love for character work - I'd say most of the psychology that Roberts is famed for comes across in his promos, rather than the structure of his matches. 

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Jake's matches with Rude, Steamboat and Savage are better than 99% of Warrior's work. Warrior had two great matches, but they were really great matches - if we're willing to take a wrestler at their absolute best as representative of their work, then I'd say Warrior's best matches were probably better than Jake's best matches (with the possible exception of Roberts/Steamboat at The Big Event), and Jake's worst were probably at least as bad as Warrior's worst (though for very different reasons) - but Jake's middle ground is a lot stronger than Warrior's.

Both get most of their love for character work - I'd say most of the psychology that Roberts is famed for comes across in his promos, rather than the structure of his matches. 

the match Warrior had with Hogan was pretty fucking great as well given their limitations

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

other than the blindfold match which is a bit of fun.

Thanks for also sticking up for this match. I loved this match as a kid and it still tickles me today. I was amazed in recent years how so many people dump on it. I think it's fantastic fun.

• Paid Members

I think it's got a fair following on here, as it should. It's a great little story. Unsurprisingly I hear it slagged off mainly from your Meltzers and Kellers who despise all fun and comedy in wrestling.  

• Paid Members

Indeed, BP. Warrior's matches with Savage and Hogan at Wrestlemania are better than anything I remember Jake ever doing. With hindsight, Warrior may be a bit gash, but he worked the gimmick, which is what he should have done and it worked. The promos and the angles are the only things I look back on fondly with Jake - he's the Don at them. His matches just served their purpose, most of the time. I think Jake even admitted as much during his HOF speech when he said we "only got a little taste" of what he could do because he was such a mess.

At least Warrior's matches were all about the intensity of the character and were designed to be 'crash, bang, wallop', so were always exciting.

Warrior was perfect for his era. Big, colourful, appeals to kids, juiced out of his mind, promo's that never made sense.

Despite his matches with DiBiase, Martel and Savage, Roberts wont be remembered as fondly in the ring. But was Jake too early? given his promo skills and methodical style would he have been a bigger star if he was around now?

Archived