RIP BIG VAN VADER

The Reverend

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
20 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I love this angle. Best use of an authority figure in wrestling ever, if you ask me, and as good a job of getting someone over as an unpredictable monster as you can get.

WWF shows have rarely felt "out of control" in the way WCW could sometimes manage - everything there always felt a little bit safer, a little bit more contrived, but for a brief moment there Vader seemed totally unpredictable. No one got their hands on Gorilla Monsoon, so it's already a significant moment when that happens, and going to garner a lot of heat because he was such a respected, well loved figure.

On paper, I'd say it would be stupid to have Gorilla Monsoon stand up to a monster heel - because he was the mild-mannered President/announcer, and you don't want people reminded that he actually dwarfed half the roster - but here it worked to perfection, as him getting a couple of shots in on Vader made the beatdown more significant. Nobody could stop this monster, to the extent that this guy you never saw fight has no choice, you're suddenly reminded that Monsoon was a big fucker and, once upon a time, a hard man, but he still gets battered. That Cornette has no control over Vader either makes it even better. For something so simplistic, it's one of my favourite angles of all time.

15 hours ago, DEF said:

Saw him at Rev Pro against Will Ospreay a couple of summers back and it was an utter joy to boo the shit out of a proper heel. Considering his mobility limitations he was really good in that match too.

I saw that too and while, looking back on it, I've always been in two minds - Vader was struggling to walk comfortably, and had been an arse all weekend, the match probably never should have been booked in the first place, but in the moment, it was such a fantastically surreal trainwreck, and I've never experienced anything like the heat that Vader got during his entrance. Just all of York Hall erupting into boos and chants of "Fuck You Vader", all because he'd slagged off their golden boy on Twitter and worked his way into a booking in the process. What a pro.

Really sad news. He had successful heart surgery just a short time ago and seemed enthusiastic about his future and on the mend. Vader was one of the all time great big men in wrestling, no question. I vaguely recall reading in WCW magazine years ago when he was feuding with Sting and I thought even as a big Sting fan he had no chance against the Mastadon from the Rocky Mountains. Because he came across as a legit tough guy and he was. Played in the NFL for the Rams as a center too. 

WCW and Japan played to his strengths and showcased him as a unstoppable juggernaut smashing through his opponents. He should have been the top heel in the WWF but unfortunately they didn't really utilise him to his full potential there at all. He deserved better because he had the talent to have great matches like he did in Japan and with Cactus, Sting and the retirement match with Ric Flair. 

I'm hoping the network puts up a collection of his best matches (including his 2012 match against Heath) where it was real cool to see him comeback. 

WWE should definitely give him his just due and induct him into the Hall of Fame. An honour he definitely deserves.

R.I.P.

• Awards Moderator

RIP Vader. My first experience of him was the opening chapter of Mick Foley's first book - Mick has a casual untelevised match with the guy and ends up without an ear! There was a little news ticker at the start of this week's NXT with some of the Twitter tributes to Vader on it, which was a nice touch from WWE. Final Four is now top of my to-watch list on the Network, but I'll confess I haven't seen that much of Vader in WCW - what should I watch on the Network to see him at his best?

• Paid Members

@HarmonicGenerator Sting vs Vader for the belt at Great American Bash 92 is, for my money, peak both of them. It's the best "wildly popular hero vs scary monster heel" match of the era in the big 2 for me. Both guys are at their best for who they were as wrestlers, it's absolutely definitive for me. In a 1992 where WCW totally knocked it out the park in the ring for "there is life after Flair" this stood out.

I mean, watch War Games first, like.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, AshC said:

If you've never seen Vader vs The Boss, then check out that stuff. Ace!

Most certainly. Two hosses beating seven shades of shite out of each other. Slamboree 94 in general is a good aul show. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, SBD said:

The 6:05 Superpodcast takes a special look at the career & legacy of Vader

http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-gte2q-432729e

THE MOTHERSHIP!

I keep meaning to give this a listen whenever it gets a mention on the Cornette podcasts.This would probably be an ideal opportunity. I definitely need to  have a Vader on the Network binge as well. Is there any of his stuff from when he was Bull Power on there?

Archived