RIP BIG VAN VADER

The Reverend

On 21 June 2018 at 4:07 PM, BomberPat said:

I saw that too and while, looking back on it, I've always been in two minds - Vader was struggling to walk comfortably, and had been an arse all weekend, the match probably never should have been booked in the first place, but in the moment, it was such a fantastically surreal trainwreck, and I've never experienced anything like the heat that Vader got during his entrance. Just all of York Hall erupting into boos and chants of "Fuck You Vader", all because he'd slagged off their golden boy on Twitter and worked his way into a booking in the process. What a pro.

Well. It didn't have to happen as a match. Just a face off in the same ring would have done the deal. But I agree. It's brilliant at the end of the day. Will and Ricochet show off a way to break the internet that isn't typing Google into Google. He sounded off, that said, he was as entitled to his opinion as the next guy. I didn't get the match as Will's selling offence by screaming in his "pip, pip, cheerio Mattitude Follower" phase. He got an all expenses paid trip to the UK out of it. Sure, it sadly proved his last. But that's what people want to see, right? Granted, the match didn't finish the way they wanted to, but I think it worked better seeing how they were setting Dunne's rematch up after he beat him for the Rev Pro Cruiserweight Title not long after he won BOSJ as well as Pete screwing him over in the match but had Ricochet even the odds so that all 3 shared the ring at some point.

No doubt Vader would get any HOF induction purely for having his eye gouged out against Stan Hansen, only to put it back in and wrestle for a good 20 minutes. A Former WCW Champion and the first Gaijin to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Something only 6 others have done. So he also is in a club that still has fewer members than men who walked on the moon. Without question one of the greatest big guys ever. Rest easy Mastadon.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
19 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I really hope I'm not imagining it, but did he accidentally tweet a pic of his cock in recent times?

Yep, Vaders helmet is the lasting memory I have of him. 

Second to that is the greatest big man in wresting. An icon whose work in wcw, wwf or Japan early or late 90s is amazing. No one bar Foley had such an impression on me as Vader, and vader never pissed his good will away. 

I guess that says 2 things, be careful with social media and we may never see another man like Vader in my lifetime. 

• Paid Members
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

THE MOTHERSHIP!

I keep meaning to give this a listen whenever it gets a mention on the Cornette podcasts.This would probably be an ideal opportunity. I definitely need to  have a Vader on the Network binge as well. Is there any of his stuff from when he was Bull Power on there?

WWE Network have just uploaded a fairly hefty Collection under the name The Man They Call Vader.

Covers most of the Greatest Hits (vs. Sting, vs. Flair, vs. Cactus Jack, vs. Shawn Michaels), and while there's no Bull Power, there's two "Baby Bull" Leon White matches on there from the AWA, one against Stan Hansen and one against Bruiser Brody.

• Paid Members

He's always so humble and softly spoken in his interviews. Seemed like such a lovely guy.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, JudyBagwell said:

I always imagine how great that program with Hogan could have been

Hogan vs Vader program - the only guy that does a job from start to finish is Ric Flair. WCW typified.

• Paid Members

I wonder how a Vader run in the WWF would've looked if they got him instead of WCW in 1990? 

Probably wouldn't have fit in that well but a WWF Hogan vs Vader run in 90/91 could've been something to see. Plus you could've done something with Vader vs Savage when Savage turned back babyface. This of course, is assuming Vader came in as a top guy. He could just as easily got lost in the shuffle and become another Barbarian or Warlord and stuck in a mid-card run against Tito Santana. WCW was probably a much better fit for him back then because they needed a monster heel and they still let him work in Japan. But it's cool to picture him at say WrestleMania VIII in the Hoosier Dome or SummerSlam 92 at Wembley. 

Was Vader going to the WWF ever seriously talked about before 1996?

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's probably an idea that's better in thought than it would've been in practice. And I don't think there's anything he could've done in the early 90s WWF that would've topped his feud with Sting in WCW. So it all worked out. Picturing Vader vs Hogan at a WrestleMania or Vader vs Savage at SummerSlam though, it could've been great. 

Thing is as well though, would Vader even have been Vader? It's easy to assume that because Vince let him keep the Vader name in 96, he'd have done that same here. But who knows how if would've played out. He could've been booked as a monster or Vince might've looked at him and gone 'God damn pal. I've got this idea for a gimmick called Bastion Booger...' 

On the other hand, what if he'd stayed in WCW? What would his role have been in the nWo era? Did he ever cross paths with The Giant before leaving?

Archived