RIP BIG VAN VADER

The Reverend

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sad news for sure. He was one of the only wrestlers who could make me second guess if wrestling was a real sporting contest or not back when I was about 12 and in the midst of my initial wrestling fandom. RIP big 'un!

• Paid Members

I was always drawn to Vader as a kid. He was the first proper "monster" I saw in American wrestling and he just had an aura. Seeing him trotting out week after week on Worldwide and destroying jobbers was a big part of my youth. I cheered him over Cactus Jack when I went to the "real event tour" at the GMEX in 93. I remember his match with Michaels in WWF and how horribly misused he was at times there, his stuff in Japan was incredible. Arguably the best "big man" that there's ever been with the possible exception of Bam Bam Bigelow. Another of my favourites has passed away. I'm devastated.

I know he's been very ill but I was hoping he'd pull through and be ok. I was prob hoping rather than expecting, esp after all that he's been through recently.

R.I.P to one, if not the, greatest big man we've seen. He should have been in the HOF sooner as he's often said how much he wanted to go in. He's got to now.

Terrible news. God bless big man

At One Night Only in 1997, I was on the aisle and we of course rushed to the barrier every entrance and shouted at the wrestlers.

Cocky little 12 year old SuperBacon absolutely shit his pants after shouting "You fat bastard" at Vader and him coming over to us...absolutely shit it. He was a monster.

Top wrestler, what a shame.

He was incredible in all 3 Japanese runs he had, NJPW, UWF-i and AJPW. And in WCW. Less so in the WWF but he was still the MVP of the fantastic final four bout in February 1997 which is one of the most overlooked great WWF matches of all time. Fantastic big man who could have great matches with anyone. RIP.

Archived