WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

The more I think about it, the less I like that they had British Strong Style team up on these shows with no build.

• Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate fought each other repeatedly over the last year. They were rivals.
  • The first time Dunne had the opportunity to side with Bate and Dunne, against Undisputed Era, he took his title and walked out on them
  • When Pete Dunne needed back-up against Undisputed Era, and became a de facto babyface, he chose Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch, not Moustache Mountain. 
  • Oh look, British Strong Style are teaming now and Mauro Ranallo's talking about how "they're not just partners, they're best friends". Well, when did that happen?!

There was an obvious build, a build that fans could see coming and wanted, and they just skipped over it to the end because, "eh, everyone coming to these shows will know they team together elsewhere anyway". Why rob the audience of an easy, but powerful, organic story, and a nice moment of them finally coming together on WWE TV, rather than just "they're a team now, like they are in PROGRESS"? 

They did do a thing at Axxess the day after Takeover, but they never showed it, which surprised me.  After O'Reilly & Strong beat Bate & Seven, Cole joined in the beatdown and then Dunne made the save, mostly to get a few shots in on Strong, but also to save his fellow countrymen.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Dart said:

They did do a thing at Axxess the day after Takeover, but they never showed it, which surprised me.  After O'Reilly & Strong beat Bate & Seven, Cole joined in the beatdown and then Dunne made the save, mostly to get a few shots in on Strong, but also to save his fellow countrymen.

That this didn't even make it to a video package thirty seconds before the match, at the very least, is baffling to me.

Pete Dunne has recently passed the 400 day mark as WWE United Kingdom Champion. This is the first time since 1988 that WWE has had two champions reign for over 400 days at the same time when Sensational Serri was Women’s Champion and Honky Tonk Man Was Intercontinental Champion

Credit: @WWEStats

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Freddyjoe said:

I’ve only just watched this on the network tonight. Who was the ref in the Coffey vs mastiff match? He’s shit, not a good enough ref to be in the level he is required to be. Is he a low rent uk ref? 

Was Paz from PROGRESS, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I'm thinking about Birmingham tickets - does anyone know the venue, is it on the flat or tiered? Thanks.

It's part of the 'Insomnia' gaming festival. When Fight Club:Pro ran their show in the same venue as part of the same festival earlier this year, it was completely flat flooring (it's an exhibition hall within the NEC, rather than the Genting Arena itself).