WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do, knowing WALTER has apparently got a six month escape clause in his contract. Do you put the full machine behind him in the hopes he'll be happy at six months as WWE UK champion, or do you hesitate to fully commit to pushing the guy with absolutely everything you have and getting him to end the reign of your biggest commodity when he could easily walk away in a few months? I'm not sure there's an obvious answer.  

They've seemed happy enough to commit to pushing Brock Lesnar with absolutely everything they have and getting him to end the reign of their biggest commodity when he could easily walk away in a few months! It wouldn't be unprecedented.

• Paid Members

You get some utter shite talked about a guy like Balor. I kinda get it because WWE just have him be "there" on Raw every week. But he's clearly brilliant. He looks incredible, talks OK, sounds great and his work is superb. If its in any doubt that he's a megastar, watch this over and over. It's a crowd who all know everything and they weren't even surprised yet react like he's The Rock because he's incredible. What a moment.

• Paid Members

i think anytime you put a star into a smaller environment they thrive. The match wasn't anything special but his presence made it. The WWE main product just sucks the life and fun out of everything because its the same every week and its rammed down our throats.

• Paid Members

I think part of it is how being stuck in main roster purgatory kills everyone's spirit. You could see Finn had an extra swagger about him coming out to that reaction, like he knew he was the dog's bollocks.

If I'm someone like Tyler Breeze right now I'm looking into how much it costs to rent a place in the UK and offering to help out for six months to a year.

Edited by Supremo

Mixed bag I thought, now that I've watched the whole thing through.

Tag team opener was great, of course. Bate and Gibson are absolute stars within this division and Seven/Drake both played their roles well too. Somewhat feels though the tag straps are a stepping stone for Gibson before he has another deserved crack at the belt. Perfect opener which built to its crescendo brilliantly. Having MM chase the heels for a few months (presumably) is the right move to take as well.

Balor was a nice surprise, but Banks/Devlin was by far my most anticipated match, so I wasn't thrilled with the replacement. Obviously, any time you put someone with his pedigree in a small environment, in a country where his stock is far higher, he's going to come across as a star. I was surprised also at them giving Devlin a clean defeat on his Takeover debut, seeing as a rematch with Dunne seemed like a logical choice, but obviously he wasn't getting a win over Balor. I get that they wanted to give Devlin a moment through mere association just for the sake of...well, having a moment, but the complete lack of stakes and drama regarding the finish resulted in this being just fine. Cool moment for the live crowd, but nobody really benefited from this.

Thought Mastiff and Dennis was just okay. It was every single no-disqualification match I've seen on WWE before and neither man is really interesting enough within the WWE environment to make this worth caring about.  

Ripley and Storm was a good match. Could easily see either of these women on the main roster, so Ripley losing the belt in her big first title defence wasn't as surprising to me as it seemingly was for others. She plays the bully so well despite her relative youth and inexperience, she could have an incredibly bright future. I'm not too high on Storm at the best of times but she put in a good performance here. The last Storm Zero she hit was a thing of beauty. 

Then the main event. Fucking hell. Talk about misreading your audience? It wasn't a bad match by any stretch of the imagination, but a clear example of them choosing to go long purely for the sake of going long. Really dull match, not helped at all by them killing the crowd off, and trying to compensate by going for finishers for ten minutes to try and elicit a reaction. That said, the WALTER debut was really well done and that's a genuine marquee match where Dunne's reign is under proper threat.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Thought Mastiff and Dennis was just okay. It was every single no-disqualification match I've seen on WWE before and neither man is really interesting enough within the WWE environment to make this worth caring about.  

i know hardcore matches and head shots have been toned down in the WWE but they've been replaced with people taking absolutely ridiculous bumps on the ring steps, them things cant be good for you.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

i know hardcore matches and head shots have been toned down in the WWE but they've been replaced with people taking absolutely ridiculous bumps on the ring steps, them things cant be good for you.

Yeah, they can look brutal at times. Same with these kendo shots you see guys being flogged with as well, must be an absolute bitch to take. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Yeah, they can look brutal at times. Same with these kendo shots you see guys being flogged with as well, must be an absolute bitch to take. 

They’ll sting for sure, but I imagine taking those on-the-apron bumps are worse for your long term health. That bad landing Toni Storm took a few weeks ago is just a sober reminder that it’s not too long before something goes horribly wrong. 

I stopped watching the weekly shows as Nigel McGuinness annoys me, but figured I'd give this another chance after seeing the largely positive reviews. Sadly Nigel proved without a doubt he's a total moron. Referring to Rhia Ripley he says she's "as dominant an NXT UK Women's Champion as I can remember". Since she's the first one there's probably not much competition for that, so I'm guessing he means more dominant than any other champion he can remember. However that theory is crushed when 20 seconds after proclaiming her the most dominant champion he can remember he says she's had "two successful title defences so far". Don't even get me started on him constantly calling a cravate a three-quarter nelson when it's nothing of the kind...