WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

Balor turning up and being more motivated than we've seen him in a LONG time is nothing but a good thing. It makes Devlin look important. It makes the BRAND look important and not just like an afterthought. Same with Charlotte being there. And the Walter debut. They did everything they could to make it a significant night for the BRAND as a whole and they did a great job. No one that got to play a part in that show will have suffered from any of what happened. The spotlight was on all of them and their names are out there and the future is brighter for all of them now.

• Paid Members

I'm only halfway through the show, and I've not read the thread to see if anyone else had said this, but I have to immediately express my disgust at Eddie Dennis' gear. It might be the worst I have ever seen. He looks like he's about to do fire poi. Utterly disgusting.  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

we’ve got EC3 and others in the same situation too (all of Undisputed Era kept their indy names)

I think EC3 is the biggest indication yet that they are letting everyone have their own names, if they have the slightest bit of recognition. When you look at it in WWE land, EC3 as a name means fuck all. The reality is that his name makes him a kayfabe relative of Dixie Carter, which you'd imagine WWE wouldn't normally want.

18 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Never did I think I'd take to a wrestler named Walter, but he looks the business. Great entrance music, undeniable presence to him and he looks like a baddy from a cartoon. No wonder Triple H was desperate to get him in.

They fucking love wrestlers with one name. Vince probably heard there was a bloke out there called WALTER and signed him just off that 

Rhea Ripley looked incredible in her match.  She's stacked now - those arms!  Her potential is absolutely astonishing.  She's probably the most legit looking athlete in the women's division.

:love:

• Paid Members

Look at these boss photos of Finn from Saturday. This was the best he's looked in years. Like a proper star.

57DFEC88-980B-415E-A788-6855D6795571.thumb.jpeg.1af86e2bc2a63878354ea7758ff1b2a4.jpeg

E673D873-F832-41C0-9EEC-BBCB90074703.jpeg.60bb847c77fa15b9662df9b7512bf703.jpeg

This was a little gem of a show. All the matches delivered and the crowd were ace all night.

Eddie Dennis has one of the worst looks I've ever seen. His gear is terrible and makes his upperbody look scrawny and shit. That's what made it so surprising when he proved to have genuinely impressive strength in that super fun weapons match. No-one who looks that bad has ever had such a good match.

One of my mates noticed it when we attended NXT UK live last month and now it's all I think about when I see him; for a man his size, Dave Mastiff has unbelievably small feet. They look like doll's feet. Honestly, he can't be more than a size three. I bet he's laughed out of Clarks regularly.

Moustache Mountain are a fantastic tag team. Tyler Bate is sickeningly talented.

The main event was great but I'm at a complete loss as to what that final top-rope spot that they kept botching was supposed to be. Every time they went up, Coffee just seemed to throw himself backwards like a moron. When they both fell to the floor the second time, was that what they were trying to achieve? Surely not. Great match though. Pete Dunne is incredible.

Walter's debut was brilliant. He looked the business and his music was perfect. The way the fans sang along, is he using the same music he used on the indies? Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and they'll stop doing those new-signee-sitting-in-the-crowd debuts. Something like this is far, far better.

Massive thimbs up. Hopefully they manage to build on this momentum and make NXT UK actually worth caring about.

• Paid Members

The show peaked at the beginning with the best match being the tag team match, and Seven/Bate putting on the best performances of the night. Tyler Bate really impressed me again here, I have to say. The quality went down from there though. Balor Vs Devlin, other than the crowd reaction to Balor, was absolutely nothing that you don't get on Raw every week out of Finn. Bang average. I had no love for that Mastiff/Dennis match either. 

The main event was completely overindulgent. Unnecessarily long, someone else had mentioned it was like trying the formula for the "Epic", and that's exactly what it felt like. It's as if they expected this was going to be an amazing, can't miss classic to start the UK TakeOver's with a bang, and it whiffed. For me it fell between decent to good, but assuming there are 6 or 7 NXT TakeOver (UK &US) it'll not be in the top 5 TakeOver main events of the year, and probably not in the top 15 TakeOver matches either. An audible should have been called at the first fall from the top rope to the outside, to roll Coffey into the ring and submit him. That's not the wrestlers fault though as they wouldn't have had the leeway to do it, but whatever happened, be it an accident or a weird, planned spot, there was a good ending thrown in their lap, they missed it and then the horse had bolted for everything after that point.

I loved WALTER's appearance. I've never seen the man before in my life but he looked the business and has some fucking brilliant entrance music. WALTER Vs Dunne should end up being a much better outing than this, providing they don't try and make it last for 1273 minutes. 

• Paid Members

I'm guessing they will give Dunne/WALTER the usual best of three series and potentially stretch it out as much as possible until they reach a point where they no longer feel dependent on having Dunne in NXT UK. WALTER can end the feud as champ then Dunne can then move onto bigger things- whether that's running roughshot in NXT or leapfrogging straight to the main roster. WALTER definitely looks like the best (and currently only real) candidate to end his run.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'm guessing they will give Dunne/WALTER the usual best of three series and potentially stretch it out as much as possible until they reach a point where they no longer feel dependent on having Dunne in NXT UK. WALTER can end the feud as champ then Dunne can then move onto bigger things- whether that's running roughshot in NXT or leapfrogging straight to the main roster. WALTER definitely looks like the best (and currently only real) candidate to end his run.

It'll be interesting to see what they do, knowing WALTER has apparently got a six month escape clause in his contract. Do you put the full machine behind him in the hopes he'll be happy at six months as WWE UK champion, or do you hesitate to fully commit to pushing the guy with absolutely everything you have and getting him to end the reign of your biggest commodity when he could easily walk away in a few months? I'm not sure there's an obvious answer.  

• Paid Members

I'm really looking forward to the eventual WALTER vs Dunne match. Dunne has been really getting over his hand/finger submissions lately, so an easy and effective story of their match could be Dunne working over one of WALTER's main weapons; his hugely devastating chops. WALTER does the 'chop the ring post spot' after battering Dunne for most of the match, and that's Dunne's big comeback. 

I do think Dunne should drop the strap on the first match though and lose the rematch as a permanent send-off to Florida. But they've got plenty of time to build this though and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunne and WALTER teaming up to face Gallus at the next UK Takeover.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

An audible should have been called at the first fall from the top rope to the outside … whatever happened, be it an accident or a weird, planned spot

I don’t think it was planned. I don’t know what they were trying to do, but Coffey leans backwards and loses his balance. Seemed to be an accident given they tried again a couple of minutes later, with exactly the same thing happened, but Coffey taking Dunne with him the second time.