94 is the first World Cup I can remember. Ray Houghton's goal against Italy specifically, cos my da lept from the chair and spilled his can of Guinness when it went in, and my ma was moaning about the stain on the carpet for fucking ages. Jack Charlton and Aldo going nuts at the officials for not letting the players have water, and sunburnt Steve Staunton wearing a naff baseball cap too!

Still have the weird clapper toy that McDonald's were giving away at the time with the dog mascot cartoon knocking about somewhere.

Surprisingly excited for this World Cup. Hope Brazil or Argentina do the business.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

The World Cup is the only time I’m ever interested in football. I’ll collect the stickers, I’ll do the work sweepstake, if I see a game on telly I’ll leave it on, and then I’ll forget about football for the next four years. I’m like those people who only watch WrestleMania.

Remember being really into France 98 (back when I loved all football), watching England lose in 2002 with all the guests at my aunt’s wedding, seeing the Zidane headbutt in a hotel bar in Jersey (with the many, many replays) and watching one of the semi finals on a rooftop screening in Monaco in 2010 with my dad on our last full family holiday. Oh, and finishing the sticker album in 2014 thanks to a team project at work and some help from Tiger Rick on here.

Looking forward to this year’s one. I picked Germany out of the tub, which I understand is a good thing!

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That '94 USA kit was an inspired bit of work. Which one did you get? The stars or the stripes?

BTW have I misunderstood, or do the USA not have a set colour for their home strip? Obviously, England are white, Netherlands orange, etc., but it seems like the USA has never settled on one.

The stars with the obscenely 90's blue design. I thought that was their home strip. Obviously not...

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That '94 USA kit was an inspired bit of work. Which one did you get? The stars or the stripes?

BTW have I misunderstood, or do the USA not have a set colour for their home strip? Obviously, England are white, Netherlands orange, etc., but it seems like the USA has never settled on one.

Their set colour is white, but on a couple of occasions they have switched to blue. The stars strip in USA 94 was actually their away strip, the shitty red & white wavy lines was their home.

Russia have flipped and flopped between white and red since the dissolution of the Soviet Union. I liked their 2010 home shirt, with a deep red that was a throwback to the decent USSR sides. I think that was when they changed to red as their home shirt for good.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

The stars with the obscenely 90's blue design. I thought that was their home strip. Obviously not...

Yeah, I remember being a bit flummoxed by that, because the stars definitely stood out more over the stripes (although the stripe kit was quite nice), so I thought that was the home strip too.

EDIT: In reply to @PunkStep - initially I thought the red and white stripes was a bit crap, but changed my mind - the wavy flag effect made it look a bit more than a generic English S-named team's strip.

As to the US set colour, the ones that threw me were the deep blue ones with either a white line across the middle, or diagonally, and also that red and blue one that everyone said made them look like Russia. USA almost always have gorgeous kits though.

Favourite Russian one was always the USSR's deep red. The one at 1990 was very nice - I posted about it in the kit thread, but it shared the same stylish geometric designs as the Netherlands home and the German away green. 

• Paid Members

Let's do some predictions, shall we? Akin to the Premier League ones we do each summer.

Winners: Brazil

Golden Boot (top scorer): Diego Costa

Golden Ball (best player): Neymar

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Ismaila Sarr

England's scapegoat- who will get the blame for their exit: Raheem Sterling's tattoo

Surprise package (team): Croatia, for reaching the semis

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Mame Biram Diouf

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Belgium, just ahead of Messi & Ronaldo

Winners :Germany 

golden boot: neymar 

golden ball: neymar

best young player: rashford

englands scapegoat: dele alli

surprise package: Iceland 

bryan Ruiz award: Jordan Henderson 

biggest dissapointment: England 

• Paid Members

Winners: Portugal

Golden Boot (top scorer): Ronaldo

Golden Ball (best player): Robaldo

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Rashford

England's scapegoat- who will get the blame for their exit: Danny Rose

Surprise package (team): Morocco

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): After his flop season at Milan, Andre Silva.

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Argentina

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Winners: Portugal

Golden Boot (top scorer): Ronaldo

Golden Ball (best player): Robaldo

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): After his flop season at Milan, Andre Silva.

Quelle fucking surprise!!

• Paid Members

Winners: Germany

Golden Boot (top scorer): Timo Werner

Golden Ball (best player): Neymar

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Albert Gudmundsson

England's scapegoat- who will get the blame for their exit: Gareth Southgate and/or Dele Alli

Surprise package (team): Iceland

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Renato Tapia

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Lukaku

Winners: Brazil

Golden Boot (top scorer): Neymar

Golden Ball (best player): Neymar

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Kylian Mbappe

England's scapegoat- who will get the blame for their exit: Whoever starts in Goal (Pickford or Butland) and Gareth Southgate

Surprise package (team): Denmark

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Albert Gudmundsson of Iceland

Biggest disappointment (team or player) Lionel Messi and Argentina, they were shit in qualifying and I read somewhere Messi is the only player to score for them in their last 12 games!?

• Paid Members

Although I feel old these days, I'm younger than a lot of you - my first properly clear World Cup memories are from France '98 (although my first clear memories of international football, and really being into it, was Euro '96). I actually cried when England went out on penalties in 98. The next day, at primary school, we were all so traumatised that they had us all sit on the carpet and talk about how England's loss made us feel. I remember that this guy Ajebola said that David Beckham should never play for England again after his actions and he was roundly criticised for such nonsense! I was a die-hard England fan until I kind of fell out with England when the Golden Generation did fuck all and let me down, time and again. These days I just love watching the tournament. I really enjoyed 2014 - I think that may be related to the advent of social media. It's a different experience now. I'd much rather watch the games on my big screen at home and chuckle at the funny comments on Twitter than in a bar full of drunk fans.

Archived