7 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

some of counterattacks by Mexico were glorious

Until the point where they needed the right pass to score a goal! They could have easily by 2 or 3 with the 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 counters they had.

So, who are the top pundits so far for you?  I'm enjoying Slaven Bilic, Eni Aluko and Cesc Fabregas thus far.

Slaven Bilic for me. Plus I like how Keane sat next to him lives the gimmick of pretend hardman while Bilic would murder him.

I mean, referees don't get much worse than that do they? Shocking not to give at least one of those bear hugs on Kane as a penalty. 

We were much better than I was hoping. Kane did fuck all but score 2 goals, and really, that's all we needed from him. Clever movement for his second goal to make the space and anticipate the ball. 

The first 30 minutes were the best I have seen from England in years! It's a shame they just withered away afterwards. Some lovely movement that just needed better composure and we could have been out of sight.

As expected from England really. Great potential going forward, lots of pace/movement but always an accident waiting to happen in defence (even if the pen was soft). You just feel that Walker/Stones/Maguire will cost us this World Cup. Tripper was excellent.

Referee was terrible though, even little things like time wasting, players not standing far enough back were ignored/waved away.

Edited by Briefcase

Quality for the first 20 minutes or so. Wavered off in the second but I was impressed by the changes we made, both offered a much-needed boost of energy. Kane was distinctly average, but you can't take him off for the precise reason he demonstrated with his ability to be in the right place at the right time. Tripper or Maguire take the nod for our MOTM, Maguire, in particular, was outstanding in the air. Sterling up front just flat out didn't work. His inclusion in our starting 11 at the expense of two natural strikers is baffling to say the least, but whatever, football's coming home etc!  The standard of refereeing was diabolical, there is genuinely zero point of utilizing VAR if you're going to blatantly ignore any action which may require review. 

Sterling was exceptionally ineffective, Rashford should start.

Young wasn't as direct as Rose may have been being naturally left footed and we suffered on that side, especially compared with the success Tripier had.

But we looked decent enough, and showed enough quality to warrant qualification. We should stuff Panama (especially if Lingard can find his shooting boots)

Loftus-Cheek looked fucking good when he came on. If Alli needs a rest cause of that 'deadleg' Loftus-Cheek played his way into starting.

Trust England to prove VAR at times is a fucking mockery of a system.

Absolute shithouse performance from Tunisia that, which the referee didn't seem remotely bothered about. They absolutely got what they deserved in the end.

England looked like the best side in the tournament for about twenty minutes but faded badly after that. The humidity and the flies can't have helped, but the drop in tempo was really concerning. For all the positives, it looks like there's too many mistakes in this team for us to make it all the way through a tournament. I think we can get to the quarters though.

England are winning this surely?. Pressure is on for the last minute winner and Harry Kane delivers. I love that fucking guy. Reminds me of an old-school footballer. Looks like one too. Fucker doesn't care what his hair looks like. You can just imagine him holding one of those big fuck off leather balls.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

A rare occurrence of a team getting what they deserve, Arch is spot on describing Tunisia as shithouses during that one.

VAR in its current guise pleases absolutely no one; you get the same massive errors but while wasting time. We had Bill Goldberg hit the penalty box during England corners and go 'You're next' to Harry Kane and it still got missed. Useless.

Teams need to be able to appeal that VAR is used, that additional feature means if something is completely missed, the victim can highlight that something happened.

19 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Teams need to be able to appeal that VAR is used, that additional feature means if something is completely missed, the victim can highlight that something happened.

But then you're opening it up to every fucker and his wife appealing to VAR or asking for VAR to be used, and they'll do that for every single decision that doesn't go their way, no matter how obvious.

2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

But then you're opening it up to every fucker and his wife appealing to VAR or asking for VAR to be used, and they'll do that for every single decision that doesn't go their way, no matter how obvious.

Limit it to the manager and make it like Tennis, if your appeal is correct no problems, if it's wrong you lose a strike. 3 strikes and that's you out of appeals for the rest of the game.