As expected from England really. Great potential going forward, lots of pace/movement but always an accident waiting to happen in defence (even if the pen was soft). You just feel that Walker/Stones/Maguire will cost us this World Cup. Tripper was excellent.

Referee was terrible though, even little things like time wasting, players not standing far enough back were ignored/waved away.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quality for the first 20 minutes or so. Wavered off in the second but I was impressed by the changes we made, both offered a much-needed boost of energy. Kane was distinctly average, but you can't take him off for the precise reason he demonstrated with his ability to be in the right place at the right time. Tripper or Maguire take the nod for our MOTM, Maguire, in particular, was outstanding in the air. Sterling up front just flat out didn't work. His inclusion in our starting 11 at the expense of two natural strikers is baffling to say the least, but whatever, football's coming home etc!  The standard of refereeing was diabolical, there is genuinely zero point of utilizing VAR if you're going to blatantly ignore any action which may require review. 

• Paid Members

Sterling was exceptionally ineffective, Rashford should start.

Young wasn't as direct as Rose may have been being naturally left footed and we suffered on that side, especially compared with the success Tripier had.

But we looked decent enough, and showed enough quality to warrant qualification. We should stuff Panama (especially if Lingard can find his shooting boots)

Loftus-Cheek looked fucking good when he came on. If Alli needs a rest cause of that 'deadleg' Loftus-Cheek played his way into starting.

Trust England to prove VAR at times is a fucking mockery of a system.

• Paid Members

Absolute shithouse performance from Tunisia that, which the referee didn't seem remotely bothered about. They absolutely got what they deserved in the end.

England looked like the best side in the tournament for about twenty minutes but faded badly after that. The humidity and the flies can't have helped, but the drop in tempo was really concerning. For all the positives, it looks like there's too many mistakes in this team for us to make it all the way through a tournament. I think we can get to the quarters though.

• Paid Members

England are winning this surely?. Pressure is on for the last minute winner and Harry Kane delivers. I love that fucking guy. Reminds me of an old-school footballer. Looks like one too. Fucker doesn't care what his hair looks like. You can just imagine him holding one of those big fuck off leather balls.

• Paid Members

A rare occurrence of a team getting what they deserve, Arch is spot on describing Tunisia as shithouses during that one.

VAR in its current guise pleases absolutely no one; you get the same massive errors but while wasting time. We had Bill Goldberg hit the penalty box during England corners and go 'You're next' to Harry Kane and it still got missed. Useless.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Teams need to be able to appeal that VAR is used, that additional feature means if something is completely missed, the victim can highlight that something happened.

But then you're opening it up to every fucker and his wife appealing to VAR or asking for VAR to be used, and they'll do that for every single decision that doesn't go their way, no matter how obvious.

2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

But then you're opening it up to every fucker and his wife appealing to VAR or asking for VAR to be used, and they'll do that for every single decision that doesn't go their way, no matter how obvious.

Limit it to the manager and make it like Tennis, if your appeal is correct no problems, if it's wrong you lose a strike. 3 strikes and that's you out of appeals for the rest of the game.

It will be exploited as a time wasting technique, much like feigning injury. 

From what Gary Neville just tweeted - "VAR going wrong isn’t down to VAR officials. Their are 2 of them in their wading through 26 Angles and having to make a call in maybe 20 seconds ! To give you an idea tv co’s will have 14 experienced people doing the same job to get replays inside 20 secs. It’s an impossible ask!"

So it needs the extra resources or additional time to make it work in the current set up. Otherwise it still won't work to its full potential. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Steve Justice said:

It will be exploited as a time wasting technique, much like feigning injury. 

From what Gary Neville just tweeted - "VAR going wrong isn’t down to VAR officials. Their are 2 of them in their wading through 26 Angles and having to make a call in maybe 20 seconds ! To give you an idea tv co’s will have 14 experienced people doing the same job to get replays inside 20 secs. It’s an impossible ask!"

So it needs the extra resources or additional time to make it work in the current set up. Otherwise it still won't work to its full potential. 

I know it's a cliché argument, but in this context it's valid: we've had loads of other sports using video replay technology for decades. Pretty sure they've got the methodology down by now. It's not an impossible ask.

• Paid Members

Interesting quiz: there are only 12 players who have both won the Premier League and scored for England in the World Cup (and a bonus thirteenth with a disallowed one that shouldn't have been).

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Supermow/epl-winners-with-goals-for-england-at-world-cup?sc=worldcup

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Interesting quiz: there are only 12 players who have both won the Premier League and scored for England in the World Cup (and a bonus thirteenth with a disallowed one that shouldn't have been).

Got all 13, with 1:38 to spare. I had 12 of them with 3 mins to spare, but at first I forgot Sol scored in 2002 (against Sweden, I think).

I have Japan in the work sweepstakes, so today's result was a lovely surprise. Makes that group seriously interesting now, as they were the one team from that group that I was certain would not progress. Completely wide open now.

Archived