• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The guy who did the translation for Putin didn't sound very sure of himself. It was as if he had never heard the Russian language before and was making it up as he went along. 

I thought they were running it through Google Translator or something. He sounded like a Sat Nav. 

I've been far too busy to watch the world cup so far let alone talk about it but here is a special edition of Africans talking football on social media plucked from John Obi Mikel's Twitter.

"A few years ago, while Vincent Enyeama was the captain of the Super Eagles, I saw you @Mickel_John_Obi become the captain and lifted this World Cup. It's time for the fulfillment. Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the Lord."

Jesukayode Banjo (Nigeria presumably)

Looking forward to a few beers and Spain v Portugal now.

• Paid Members

What a game that was, more than delivered. Both teams looked very impressive, I can see either of these winning the whole thing. Costa was a beast. Portugal played some exciting counter-attacking football, especially in the first half, whilst Spain were playing some sumptuous football before the last goal. Really beautiful possession football.

Guedes was fucking dire.

• Paid Members

Man, that is the sort of football match I've been waiting for in this competition. Especially after the earlier two group games. Love or hate Ronaldo, the dude is a fucking monster. Portugal had a really decent first half, but he single-handedly dragged them back to level. That free kick was really something, that close to the goal with the wall set up how it was, he still got it up, over and into the net. I don't really expect that Ronaldo can single-handedly drag Portugal to the final to win the thing, but he can try. Spain, despite obviously being deflated by not winning, looked very, very good. Their passing game really is something else. We haven't seen the likes of France or Germany yet, obviously, but I think most teams will fall to Spain's passing game. Costa and Isco were great.

Such fun.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the World Cup needed that after two duffers today and a one-sided bore yesterday. Brilliant game but if Portugal are going to get far then it really needs for the rest of their forwards and midfielders to stop quivering in Ronaldo's shadow and take some responsibility and show some nerve. Guedes is a really confident player normally but he never looked like doing anything with either of the great positions he found himself in in the first half.

Isco was fantastic as well. He's been excellent for Madrid ever since his debut but doesn't get much press outside of Spain. I think this is where everyone will really sit up and take notice.

Also, Ronaldo is Ice T approved now.

• Paid Members

Is everyone in football a smug or weird cunt these days? Clive Tyldesley and Danny Murphy are just shite. Watching a game like that with Danny Murphy in your ear is like having a wank with a hand full of broken glass. Ryan Giggs seemed to go a bit mad as well. As @PunkStep said, he started off the anecdote and you were waiting for the punchline ("oh here's a lovely bit of training ground banter") and then suddenly, the story ends up like it's being told by Rhodri Giggs circa 2011. Fucking oddball. Shearer, Ferdinand and Lineker were great, though. The love of the game was pouring through them at the end of the Spain/Portugal match. They were absolutely buzzing. Brilliant to see.

Anyone see Jenas and Pip Neville's little exchange? "Dont tell me how to pay centre midfield, Phil!" Lineker should have stepped in and said "calm down lads, you're both shit."

I'm not sure how the draw works in the later rounds but can see Portugal & Spain meeting again later on in the Semis or Final. I still don't think Portugal have enough to win it though, they don't look as solid as they did in the Euros and Ronaldo aside they look toothless up front. That said I think if anyone will knock Spain out then its Ronaldo. If Portugal win the World Cup then Ronaldo deserves the title of the greatest of all time.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

I really enjoyed that game last night, It was the first of the WC games i had watched, and it was only a last minute decision to do so, i am glad i did! This may be ronaldo's last chance to win the world cup, and with a performance like that last night, Portugal have to be in with a good shout. 

I understand why people are saying that, but it's important to remember that it took a Ronaldo performance like that and a rare De Gea mistake for them to scrape a draw against a Spain team that's only had their manager for 2 days. Need to be careful to not get carried away. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, as amazing as Ronaldo is, they're not in with a good shout unless the rest of their team steps us. That isn't going to happen with that defence because it's been ropey for a while now. Their best hope is to attack but Guedes especially will need to be far better than he was last night.

Archived