Can't wait for this. Me and a couple of the lads from Uni have devised a schedule to ensure we're going to be able to watch as much as we possibly can live. Hoping for a Peru triumph as I've drawn them in the sweepstakes.

Winners: Spain

Golden Boot (top scorer): Griezmann

Golden Ball (best player): David Silva

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Gabriel Jesus

England's scapegoat- who will get the blame for their exit: Jordan Henderson

Surprise package (team): Senegal 

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Alexander Mitrovic

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Paul Pogba

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My boss decided - last minute - that we can't be trusted to do our jobs if he has the opening game on the TV on mute. So now I'm trying to surreptitiously watch ITV on my phone. Still, I'll be watching eight mother lovin' World Cup matches over Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I can't wait.

• Paid Members

Got myself swept up in the excitement watching goal reviews of previous comps. France 98 will always be my favourite as it was my first, but 2014 was probably the most exciting one I can remember since then. Russia/Saudi Arabia doesn't seem like the most exciting opener but often the game you least expect to be good could potentially turn into a cracker. 

Could be a shock on the cards this year with some established teams missing/others in transition. Dare I suggest I'm even quite positive about England for the first time in a while. Only downside is I got Sweden in the work sweepstake. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

My boss decided - last minute - that we can't be trusted to do our jobs if he has the opening game on the TV on mute. So now I'm trying to surreptitiously watch ITV on my phone. Still, I'll be watching eight mother lovin' World Cup matches over Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I can't wait.

I've brazenly got it on my laptop. I don't give a fuck!!

Oh God, please don't fire me. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

My boss decided - last minute - that we can't be trusted to do our jobs if he has the opening game on the TV on mute. So now I'm trying to surreptitiously watch ITV on my phone.

I can't possibly fathom why he doesn't trust you!

• Paid Members

Haven't seen the match or goals yet, but hear Golovin looked class- which isn't surprising. Will be very interesting to see how they fare against the other two much stronger teams.

I also hear Clive Tyldesley took a mere 8 minutes to reference Stalin. Sake.

• Paid Members

Top opener, Russia absolutely rinsed the Saudis who might be one of the worst World Cup teams I've ever seen. 

Clive with Russia 3-0 up, with the Saudi's in possession (80 mins): "Hey Siri, how do we put three goals in ten minutes?"

16 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Top opener, Russia absolutely rinsed the Saudis who might be one of the worst World Cup teams I've ever seen. 

Clive with Russia 3-0 up, with the Saudi's in possession (80 mins): "Hey Siri, how do we put three goals in ten minutes?"

Possibly the most cringeworthy thing I've ever heard him say...and this is in the same game that he said "Stalin had a proper tache"

• Paid Members

Thank God ITV only have 50% of the games, if that's the standard of commentary. I had my head in my hands when I heard him mention Stalin's Moustache. Sure why not Clive, it's not like he was a paranoid, mass murdering lunatic or anything. 

That was a fun game to open the world cup. I still don't think Russia are any good, but they couldn't have done more than they did here, which was set the tournament off with a bang. The Saudi's like to tap it about in the middle of the park, but they're a shite lot up front and at the back. 

• Paid Members

ITV's coverage overall was pretty bad.

I don't think I've ever seen a performer half ass their own songs in the way Robbie Williams did today. Jesus. And then Putin droned on for ages.

Saudi Arabia are really bad but it was nice to have a high scoring, if one sided, opener.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

How the fuck did the incredibly irrelevant Robbie Williams get this gig, singing a 20 year old song?? It's madness.

They should've had t.A.T.u. instead.

ITV said at one point, "Robbie Williams is performing for free." I figured they meant on free TV, for our entertainment but perhaps he literally was performing for no money.

• Paid Members

I’d not be shocked if that was the case, he could well have been asked to perform FOC by one of those Russian delegates it’s wise not to say no to.

I spent most of his performance trying to work out if the crowd really were singing along, or if they were piping in crowd audio from a Robbie Glastonbury performance.

Mildly interesting stat doing the rounds on Twitter that until Golovkin’s late FK, none of Russia’s goalscorers were in the official Panini sticker book. And apparently, 91 of the 576 players in the book have failed to make it to the tournament.

Archived