• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thing is, whatever the reason, there is a time and a place for sacking your national manager, and it's definitely not the day before the fucking World Cup. 

Anyway, predictions:

Winners: France

Golden Boot (top scorer): Griezmann

Golden Ball (best player): Kevin De Brunye (Can see them doing well this time, and if they do, he'll be involved in everything.)

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Timo Werner (he's ace on my FM save, that's good enough for me.)

England's scapegoat- who will get the blame for their exit: Gareth Southgate (sacked after not getting through the group)

Surprise package (team): Columbia (because I got them in the office sweepstake)

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Hirving Lozano

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Ronaldo and Messi

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

Thing is, whatever the reason, there is a time and a place for sacking your national manager, and it's definitely not the day before the fucking World Cup.

It's the worst possible time sure, but I don't see how they had a choice. They couldn't have done it earlier because before yesterday, as far as they knew he was going to be the head coach up until Euro 2020 because they had recently extended his contract. They had absolutely no knowledge he was moving to Real until 5 mins before the club announced it. They even asked Real to delay the announcement, but they said no.

Winners: Brazil

Golden Boot (top scorer): Kane (he will score at least 6 in the groups right?)

Golden Ball (best player): Neymar

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Jesus

England's scapegoat: Pickford. He has a mistake in him, the red tops will have a field day with his name as well.

Surprise package (team): England/Uruguay

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Welbeck

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Argentina/Messi.

3 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Winners: Brazil

Golden Boot (top scorer): Kane (he will score at least 6 in the groups right?)

Golden Ball (best player): Neymar

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Jesus

England's scapegoat: Pickford. He has a mistake in him, the red tops will have a field day with his name as well.

Surprise package (team): England/Uruguay

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Welbeck

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Argentina/Messi.

Wouldn't be the first time an Everton player gets scapegoated for an England failure, not that I'm hoping Jordan does have a bad tournament

It's fair to say the past few World Cups have been kind to me, even if it was only by joining in on other countries' glory. In 2006 I was in Germany for the final few days of the tournament when they celebrated 3rd place as if they'd won the whole thing, I was in Spain for the last week or so of South Africa 2010, then 4 years ago I was at a pub in Dresden for Germany's group game against Portugal and got a free beer for each of the 4 German goals. I was back in the UK by the time of the final but still had the pleasure of the company of a German when Götze scored the winner. 

I also recall a PE teacher letting us watch England v Tunisia in a bar instead of actually doing sport during France 98 just 11 months before I got to watch him lift the FA Vase at Wembley, proving they're not all nonces and bullies. I'm not expecting anything like that to happen this time, but I'm looking forward an enjoyable next 4 and a half weeks all the same.

Happy world cup day everyone. I've done my bit by draping a St George's Cross from my balcony in a predominately Muslim neighbourhood and got an ill advised bulldog tattoo on my calf - it's now over to Southgate and the boys to show the rest of the world who invented this fucking game!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Happy world cup day everyone. I've done my bit by draping a St George's Cross from my balcony in a predominately Muslim neighbourhood and got an ill advised bulldog tattoo on my calf - it's now over to Southgate and the boys to show the rest of the world who invented this fucking game!

I really hope you don't mean they'll run on to the pitch doing Chinese eyes and wearing lampshades on their heads

Archived