3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

You can talk. My acca was fucked because of that Puskas git convincing me Hungary could qualify.

Should of followed Wooly's tips for the World Cup. And backed every team to win the World Cup. Guaranteed winner then. 

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How pissed was the Croatian president? Delia levels of inebriation...

Really enjoyed that final. Luka looking sad broke my little heart, but France blew them away,whilst never really getting out of second gear.

I'm pleased for Hugo obviously, but I'm pleased for Pogba as well. I really, really rate him, he seems like a bloody nice lad, and it's not his fault he's got a miserable anti-football bastard for a club manager. If he sometimes doesn't seem bothered sometimes, I'm not surprised. Lolz at him getting backheel nutmegged though by Brosovic.

• Paid Members
On 6/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, Chilly McFreeze said:

Thing is, whatever the reason, there is a time and a place for sacking your national manager, and it's definitely not the day before the fucking World Cup. 

Anyway, predictions:

Winners: France

Golden Boot (top scorer): Griezmann

Golden Ball (best player): Kevin De Brunye (Can see them doing well this time, and if they do, he'll be involved in everything.)

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Timo Werner (he's ace on my FM save, that's good enough for me.)

England's scapegoat- who will get the blame for their exit: Gareth Southgate (sacked after not getting through the group)

Surprise package (team): Columbia (because I got them in the office sweepstake)

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Hirving Lozano

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Ronaldo and Messi

So, time to look back on our predictions?

Not too bad for me, Griezmann almost got there, De Brunye was good but not at his usual level, but Belgium certainly did well this time.

The less said about my other predictions the better, although I'd say Messi and Ronaldo were big disappointments apart from Ronaldo v Spain.

• Paid Members

I'd say @The Maestro probably did best when it comes to predictions with three right.

@ColinBollocks would've equalled this had he predicted Mbappe to win the young player award. He selected him to win the golden ball but Dembele, who is older than him, to win the young player. Dropped a right bollock there, Colin.

My predictions were shocking, apart from Croatia as the surprise package. I suppose you can say a few teams were a surprise package in terms of achieving more than expected- Croatia, England, Sweden etc.

Overall, what a brilliant World Cup. Seldom a dull game, England did better than expected and helped many fall in love with the national team again, VAR added some fun and was overall a success, there were few (if any?) significant fan or crowd problems in Russia, Mbappe has well and truly announced himself and Lucas Torreira is a little pitbull. Bring on Qatar 2022- unbearable heat, December fixtures and the weakest host nation to date. Yay.

On 13 June 2018 at 7:53 PM, Briefcase said:

Winners: Brazil

Golden Boot (top scorer): Kane (he will score at least 6 in the groups right?)

Golden Ball (best player): Neymar

Best young player award (21 & under as at Jan 18): Jesus

England's scapegoat: Pickford. He has a mistake in him, the red tops will have a field day with his name as well.

Surprise package (team): England/Uruguay

The Bryan Ruiz award (surprise package, but a player): Welbeck

Biggest disappointment (team or player): Argentina/Messi.

My predictions. Right with Kane being top scorer and kinda England as surprise package. Glad I was wrong about Pickford, but there was a point during the groups where a few were singling him out.

I know Germany were probably the biggest disappointment but Argentina were terrible and lucky to get out the groups with 4 points.

• Paid Members

France weren't really that good in the final, but ended up winning quite comfortably, which shows you not only their abilities but their potential for growth in the coming four years. The reason I picked France was because of their incredible quality throughout the squad. Even if a player like Dembele didn't have the tournament some expected (him being my young player pick), they still had a couple of quality players that can do the job.

It was a good World Cup, with a great mix of plenty of goals and surprise results. We got a legitimate all-time classic in Spain v Portugal, which turned out to be the high point for both teams, as they seemed to fade a little as the tournament progressed.

The Germany team looking an uneven mess, with a rubbish strike force and a team that seemed to wilt when faced with pace, athleticism and enthusiasm.

I think the quality of the tournament was further highlighted by the fact that I managed to put in the back of my mind the uneasy feeling I had in the opener, seeing Putin there lording it over the world. The invasion in the final did kick me out of the goodwill, with my brain saying "it's only football and this is still the same Russia".

We also got a good look at Macron's hairline.

• Paid Members

Following on from Colin's comment about potential for growth over the coming years, look at the young (23 and under) French players that didn't play in the World Cup:

GK: Lafont

DF: Laporte, Zouma, Diakhaby, Upamecano, Diallo, Diop, Sarr

MD: Rabiot, Coman, Tousart, Lopez

FW: Martial, Moussa Dembele, Karamoh, Augustin, Saint-Maxim

Insane potential in there. If these players continue to develop well and get plenty of game time (most of them are at the moment), then we could see an era of dominance similar to Spain not that long ago.

• Paid Members

This is definitely one of the most fun World Cups I've ever watched. Unpredictable, plenty of surprises, some awesome games, Cavani scoring with his face, Russia punching above their weight and the atmosphere that came with it (even on TV), Germany getting knocked out at the group stages (don't mention the VAR), the look on Ramos' mug when Spain got knocked out, England giving cause for hope for the future, to name a few.

Favourite games to watch:

Japan vs. Belgium

France vs. Croatia

England vs. Panama (got to have at least one squash match),

Spain vs. Ronaldo

Archived