• Paid Members

I'm thinking I must not have caught up with the modern game as much as I'd have liked, because the sheer amount of passing backwards or square yesterday was infuriating, yet nobody said anything about it (except Keane, who had to retire when he suffered a career-ending injury to his sense of joy). This seems to have been a motif of a few of England's performances, but I assumed that, because they won, people were happy to overlook it; this time, however, almost nobody's brought it up.

Henderson, though - seriously, did no-one else think he was exasperating yesterday? Nearly every time someone passed to him, he didn't hold on to the ball and move it, he'd just immediately and reflexively tap it to someone else, usually backwards or sideways. Almost like he was scared of having it. When Dier came on for him, the difference was visible - he was actually, y'know, holding on to it, dribbling a bit, moving it around and spending some time thinking about whom he was going to pass it to.

I'm aware I'm opening myself up to criticism about not understanding the way the game's gone, but I honestly just don't get it. I found it just as infuriating every time United did it during the season.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You fancy France to have their way with this Croatia team. Obviously a lot of extra minutes, coupled with the fact that despite having a couple of truly great players Croatia have looked very average for most of the tournament now.

I'm still a little miffed how England didn't have a couple after the first half, but that's sort of been the story of the team. They've started at such a tempo that you're sure the players will grab 3 by the end of the half, only to fade quite a bit after 30 minutes or so.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Not meant to be a knock on you specifically, but I fucking hate this 'they went to extra time and will be spent' argument. It proved to be complete bullshit last night and could easily see the same happening Sunday. 

Playing the World Cup final should be like having a cattle prod shoved up your arse. If you're not buzzing for Sunday, you never will be. That Linekar quote about Italia 90, when he says he had to be dragged out of bed but breezed through the game on adrenaline, seems more realistic to me than Croatia being leggy (unless the concede a couple early).

But yeah, still probably France. I just don't think it will be down to Croatian fatigue.

Oh of course, and you saw that last night by how Croatia - despite being behind for around 60 mins - kept working their tits off to get a result. I have no doubt that mentally they will give more than they are normally capable of, but I don't think their legs will keep up against that France side due to a number of factors combined- rather than one reason alone (e.g. having played extra time).

The extra days' rest for France, Croatia having played an additional 30 mins against England, running themselves into the ground during the same game (they were, understandably, fucked after the England win)- these factors along with the fact that France haven't had to put in one of those games where half the team are lying on the floor with cramp near the end will surely make it an uphill battle. That France side is full of pace and worryingly, they can still step it up another gear. Croatia can certainly win, but I think it's going to be a very difficult task for them.

This could be Mbappe's final. Imagine that, with Messi & Ronaldo failing to deliver the World Cup in 3-4 attempts each, Kylian just waltzes in and wins it first time.

After this World Cup its hard to call anything but its France's to lose really. France have too much quality (and experience) in all areas of the field that can and will hurt Croatia. Even from the bench they have great options, something I feel England didn't really have this time round which is why practically the same players played every game. I hope Croatia win though.

I think the frustrating thing now is the 3rd/4th place game, does anyone really care about this? We have already seen England reserves vs Belgium reserves once, I can see Southgate using the game again as an opportunity to give minutes/experience to those who haven't played much. 

• Paid Members

Meh, Brazil got bested by a really good Belgium team. I'm sure if they were on the other side of the draw they'd have been in with a great chance of making the final. I don't think they're any better/worse than Croatia. Their star player still probably isn't top level match sharp.

Anyway, I'm also delighted for Croatia. A population with less people than Scotland, yet here they are in the final. Modric, in particular, is some next level blend of composure and ability - the amount of times England had a couple of men around him, yet he still managed to get a pass away to a team mate.

They've had a good tournament and all but in the cold light of day England finished one round higher than Russia and the only time they played opposition of a good standard they lost. I think as soon as the 'It's coming home' boll9cks started they were done.

Definitely needed a HRK in that team.

37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

You can talk. My acca was fucked because of that Puskas git convincing me Hungary could qualify.

Should've known he was a wrong un after he became Franco's favourite.  The signs were there.

Archived