24 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

He was by far our most dangerous player on the pitch until he went off, opened up a lot of play for the team and Vida in particular was shitting himself every time he ran at him. Kane on the other hand wasn't in the game at all. In the second half, he was practically a central midfielder whereas others were in front of him. His touch was off. Dele had bright spots in the first half and Jese wasn't as good as he has been.

He looks dangerous because he's so quick and Vida was scared of his pace, but I've never seen someone with such consistently poor decision making. When you start talking about what he does for the team, but it's never goals, assists or anything tangible, you're getting into Emile Heskey levels of shit. 

Agreed Kane was a spent force. Think the Colombia game did for him. 

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

@IANdrewDiceClay Was saying the same thing earlier. He's probably going to win the golden boot, which is fantastic for him, but if truth be told he hasn't been that good overall.

Trippier on the other hand, wow. So much energy, fantastic delivery and threatening with a set piece. Our best player overall in my view and I think he's done enough to make the team of the tournament. Pickford and Maguire my next two picks for England's best players. The cohesive spirit was the strongest attribute for the team and hopefully that will improve even more over time. I really like these bunch of players, and with Euro 2020 in some ways on home soil, I'd fancy our chances if these lot continue to improve and the likes of Sessegnon make the jump.

• Paid Members

Kane looked tired as hell to me for a lot of the knockout stages of the tournament. He played a lot of games for Spurs last season, generally to a very high standard, in a team that is way less reliant on he himself holding up the ball and trying to knock down long, high passes to lay off for somebody else, or take on himself. Very good chance he wins the Golden Boot with what can't exactly be called a wonderful run of goal scoring - though I'm still very happy for him if he wins it.

I was tense as hell for basically the entire game. I didn't really think we were ever going to get out of that match with a 1-0 victory from a goal scored in the first five minutes. it was a lovely free kick, though. Overall, I was gutted in the moment, but am now looking forward to both the 3rd/4th place playoff and the final a lot.

I'm not sure about Sterling, to be honest. He was decent tonight, but I think England's whole creative core is comprised of players who do their best work when the opposition sees them as only the 3rd or 4th most potent threat and hence allow them more space and time than they get for England. If I'm playing Spurs, I'm looking to deal with Kane and Eriksen before I worry about Dele Alli. If I'm playing Man City, I'm looking to deal with Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero before I worry about Sterling. If I'm playing United, I'm looking to deal with loads of people before I worry about Lingard. I think all these players benefit from that and do their best work making late runs exploiting the divided attention of defenders. Individually, though, I'm not sure any of them have the quality to really force the issue and make things happen against savvy opposition. At least not yet.

Emotionally I detached from international football a long time ago, but this has been fun to watch from a neutral perspective. I don't hold out much hope for this being the beginning of a new era or this being a team that will go on from strength to strength (not without some genuine creative talent coming through somewhere), but it was definitely nice to see everyone feeling proud for a few weeks. Coming out of a major tournament without everyone feeling bitter and angry is genuine progress, whether that's due to a better team or a much-needed adjustment of expectations. Good job everyone, really.

Kane plays a VERY different role for England than he does for Spurs.

Biased obviously, but his performance against Colombia was immense, and I think, absolutely drained him. He was everywhere that game, and got fouled a lot.

Reminded me of when Klinsmann ran himself into the fucking ground against Holland in 1990.

He was selfless this whole tournament, switched up his play to help the team, carried himself with grace, led from the front and acted like a captain should, was calm under pressure, will probably end up top striker, and there are STILL pricks on Twitter that want to slag him off.

"YEH BUT HE CANT TALK PROPLY PUT THE PRESSURE ON, PENS AND TAP INS HAHAHA"

Get to fuck. Jealous cunts.

p.s Love Gareth Southgate. Gutted for him.

• Paid Members

Can't understand the whole 'only 2 headers and 3 penalties' argument against Kane I hear a lot at the moment. As if scoring penalties in a World Cup is fucking easy? 

Pretty sure he picked up a knock against Colombia because he hasn't looked right since. 

• Paid Members

You'd think France will walk it. They have an extra day of rest, Croatia have played yet another 120 minute match and they are heavily reliant on their midfield- which could be nullified by Kante, Pogba and Tolisso. Mbappe could tear them apart.

We didn’t have a single shot on target after Trippier’s goal - over 120+ minutes of play. That’s just inexcusable.

More than anything this just feels like a massive missed opportunity against a good but beatable team with defensive vulnerabilities we just didn’t challenge, we were pretty awful across the board tonight (Kane & Lingard especially so).

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

You'd think France will walk it. They have an extra day of rest, Croatia have played yet another 120 minute match and they are heavily reliant on their midfield- which could be nullified by Kante, Pogba and Tolisso. Mbappe could tear them apart.

Not meant to be a knock on you specifically, but I fucking hate this 'they went to extra time and will be spent' argument. It proved to be complete bullshit last night and could easily see the same happening Sunday. 

Playing the World Cup final should be like having a cattle prod shoved up your arse. If you're not buzzing for Sunday, you never will be. That Linekar quote about Italia 90, when he says he had to be dragged out of bed but breezed through the game on adrenaline, seems more realistic to me than Croatia being leggy (unless the concede a couple early).

But yeah, still probably France. I just don't think it will be down to Croatian fatigue.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, hallicks said:

He looks dangerous because he's so quick and Vida was scared of his pace, but I've never seen someone with such consistently poor decision making. When you start talking about what he does for the team, but it's never goals, assists or anything tangible, you're getting into Emile Heskey levels of shit.

Funny you should mention Heskey, because he was peerless in the two games against Croatia during the 2010 World Cup qualifying. His hold-up play in those two fixtures to bring Rooney, Walcott, Lennon and Gerrard into play was outstanding. He would've bought the Croatian machine crashing down last night!

Archived