• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DCW said:

In Ireland, rugby is definitely the upper class peoples game. Schools rugby is dominated by expensive fee paying schools where it costs five or six grand a year to attend. Football and GAA is the working class game. Our best rugby lads like Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara, Jonathon Sexton etc were all privately educated, but it would be rare for our footballers or GAA players to be.

10 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Spot on. It's a yuppies game over here in Dublin and the amount of bandwagoners who claim to be super fans every time the six nations is on with their ill fitting slim fit jerseys and guts hanging over their brown belts and navy jeans, is astounding. 

I absolutely despise rugby. I really fucking do. 

That's more a Leinster thing though, or more specifically Dublin.  I have family in Wexford who are Munster supporters as they don't want to be connected with the D4 lot.

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah it's nothing like Rugby.  In Scotland, Ireland and Wales, Rugby is a working class sport but in England it's a toffs game from Public school.  I can cheer on the England football team in some games but never the rugby team.  I'd be a fucking class traitor if I did that and I'm not a tory.

As has been mentioned, any dislike of the sporting side doesn't come from sport, it comes from Imperialism and lauding it over the serfs.  Look at the anthems, Ireland Scotland and Wales have anthems celebrating their country, England have one about fealty to whoever is ruling over you, fuck that shit.  Post empire declinism is one of the major reasons England have won one more tournament than Malta and San Marino, the English mentality of being better because they're English.  Thankfully this batch of players don't seem to have that.

"Some hate the English... I don't. They're just wankers" 

• Moderators

FWIW, there was loads of shit in the English media, journalists and arseholes on phone ins, thrown at Wales during our 2016 campaign about our players all being English really. Same thing happened when Ben Woodburn, David Brooks and Ethan Ampadu chose Wales over England. We took utter pelters for that. We didn't force them, it was their choice, and the reaction was something along the lines of how dare Wales have the gal to pick Welsh qualified players who made it clear they feel more Welsh then English and that surely Wales have brainwashed them as they'd rather play for England than Wales really. Even though Brooks left the Wales set up to go to England, won Toulon with them (and won player of the tournament, in fact) and decided he didn't feel English and came back. 

My main issue with England though is that if they fucking win I won't be able to read a paper for months. They've only just shut the fuck up about 1966.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

My main issue with England though is that if they fucking win I won't be able to read a paper for months. They've only just shut the fuck up about 1966.

I'd avoid the papers today, I don't know which one it was, but I saw at least one paper referencing 1966 this morning on my way into work. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

You should read the Financial Times, Butch. No sports coverage, and with the sort of laissez-faire capitalist views that you love. 

2 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

The man who believes in rights for the put upon as long as there's financials systems in place to keep them there.

I mean we all feel bad for the blacks, but we just don't want them living next door.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I mean we all feel bad for the blacks, but we just don't want them living next door.

I don't feel bad for them. They are vastly, vastly superior to us whiteys.
I mean, they dominate the music industry, the sporting arena, white women and the months of February and October depending on your location.

It's been a crazy World Cup for me. I've had to fit it around a frantic work schedule rather than the other way around and it's meant I've had to cherry pick the glamour games and stay relatively sober during England's greatest run at it in 30 odd years. For the last 3 World Cups I've managed to pretty much watch every game.

That ends tomorrow as I've managed to secure a well earned day off on Thursday, so I intend to give tomorrow's game the full gun ten pints and ceaseless choruses of No Surrender down the local. Watch us go crashing out now.

France look the best team to me. I'd take every one of the best eleven over England's except for Giroud for Sir Harry Kane. It's probably a tough choice between Trippier and Pavard but that goal is a World Cup moment I will never forget.

Croatia are tough but beatable. As an armchair tactician I'm thinking do you start with same 11 as Sweden, or do you introduce a shitkicker like Dier for Sterling or Ali to try and stultify the brilliance of Modric and Rakitic. I suspect we'll do the former but the Jose Mourinho bumboy in me thinks the latter might be the best path to victory.

Image result for st george cross house

• Paid Members
On 7/9/2018 at 12:48 AM, PowerButchi said:

Yeah, its this isn't?

Like you'd probably expect, I've been ABE (Anyone but England) since I was old enough to know better.

But what you get at this time every two years is people coming out of the woodwork with cobblers like "We're all British, why aren't you supporting the British side?" (Admittedly from settlers who 20 years ago were in danger of having their holiday homes burnt down)

Its been even worse this World Cup though, with whole Radio Wales phone-ins on "if we're all English now". Its almost like that glorious summer of 2016 never happened, when the whole of Wales came together as one.

My simple response to such jibes are that England are our sporting rivals, so why the fuck would I want them to do well?

Just like Everton fans were cheering on Liverpool in the Champions League final? I'm sure the Dutch were cock-a-hoop when the Germans were knocked out too. 

I can't stand Rugby Union, and especially the Welsh Rugby Union as a body, so I can't really comment on the Rugby comparison used earlier.

EDIT: (Although I actually will comment, and find the whole "As long as we beat the English" stuff to be cringey as fuck, like its OK to lose every other game in the Six Nations as long as you win that one.) 

• Paid Members

I don't cheer on British teams in the Champions League, for example. Teams like Liverpool are rivals of my clubs, why would I want them to have long, deep, financially beneficial runs in Europe? Nope. 

Weirdly, though, I don't have an anti-other home nations thing. I support England (admittedly fell out with them for years until this World Cup run, though) but, as long as they aren't playing against England, I kind of root for Wales and Northern Ireland (and the Republic of Ireland over England). I don't seem to root much for Scotland, perhaps because I notice more anti-English noise from Scottish fans than other home nations.

Was a pretty even game tonight. Could have gone either way. France defended their lead really well, though, and were probably deserved winners overall. If England get by Croatia (which I think is entirely possible, but see it going either way), I don't see them beating France. But, it's a knockout competition. Anyone can beat anyone on their day, right? 

Archived