Germany got to the final in 82. Beaten by Italy.

I saw someone say that this is the first time England will play more games at a World Cup than Germany when they've both featured. Don't know if that's true, but it's a hell of a stat if it is.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah that's got to be true. Germany have'nt been eliminated at the first round since 1938 and we didn't enter the competition until 1950. We met them in the 1966 final and every time we've reached the quarters since (or semis in 1990), they've either reached the final or the semis.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I'm wondering if this is the first time in my life that England have progressed further than Germany in a major tournament. First one I remember is 82.

All I can find is the 1950 World Cup (where Germany was banned because of some recent unpleasantness) and the 1968 Euros (where Germany didn't qualify.)

Euro 2004 we went further then Germany

They went out in the group, drawing with Latvia as I rememer being at a Cricket game when that was on and the crowd were loving it.

England of course fell at the QF stage as we always did under Sven and the Golden Generation

• Paid Members

Expect some tackles to fly in tonight. Everything from goal difference, to goals scored etc is identical with team disciplinary the final tie breaker before they just choose lots. England have two yellow cards to Belgium's three with no reds, so if both teams cave into wanting the easier half of the draw but don't want to appear like they're trying to lose, this may be the best way for them to do it.

Can really see Senegal topping Colombia or at least drawing with them and going through as well. Would give us Japan in the last 16 if we finished second as I can't see Poland giving them any trouble either.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Don’t like England playing a much changed side 1 bit 

It makes sense. We are already through - why risk Walker picking up another yellow, Kane doing his ankle or whatever and that causing us to be knocked out in the RO16?

I've been banging out the K-Pop since last night. I do love Germany but to go out like that was spectacular.

I'm well up for for England v Japan in the next round, if only there were a club night that would pit the pop music of opposing nations against each other.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

Expect some tackles to fly in tonight. Everything from goal difference, to goals scored etc is identical with team disciplinary the final tie breaker before they just choose lots. England have two yellow cards to Belgium's three with no reds, so if both teams cave into wanting the easier half of the draw but don't want to appear like they're trying to lose, this may be the best way for them to do it.

Maybe I'm just really naive, but I can't see Southgate saying 'go out there and pick up some yellows, lads, it'll give us an easier draw'. I know they've rested a few players which makes sense and I agree with, but I still think we're gonna go for the win. Fucking hope so, anyway. Playing to lose for an easier draw is bullshit.

41 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

It makes sense. We are already through - why risk Walker picking up another yellow, Kane doing his ankle or whatever and that causing us to be knocked out in the RO16?

I just think it would break the momentum and look what happened with our easy draw against Iceland in the euros 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I just think it would break the momentum and look what happened with our easy draw against Iceland in the euros 

Oh, I'm not saying whoever plays shouldn't go out there to win, but it just makes sense to rest some players, give others game time and do a little risk management around yellow cards when we've already qualified for the next stage. Belgium are supposed to be making around 10 changes, so I don't see any reason why whatever team we put out can't win.

• Paid Members

Told you England VS Belgium would be shit.

So, Colombia in the next round. They may well be James-less, which will be a huge boost if so but they still have plenty of talent. Cuadrado has especially looked threatening. If we beat them, we'll have Sweden or Switzerland waiting for us in the quarter finals. This is the best opportunity we've had in a very long time to reach the semis.

Some mouthwatering 2nd round games mind. I can see Messi really clicking into gear and tearing France apart. Anyone foresee a shock Russian win against Spain?

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Some mouthwatering 2nd round games mind. I can see Messi really clicking into gear and tearing France apart. Anyone foresee a shock Russian win against Spain?

Yeah, that was my thinking. I have a suspicion that Russia are going to the semis at least. Host nation, in a tough place for opposition teams to play, and a half decent side. 

Archived