Pope Ted

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Motherland. Really good sitcom.

Motherland was great, but from what I've read it seemed like Graham Linehan was a minority partner as far as writing was concerned, and was more on-board as director and to lend it some clout by having the name of a "proper" sitcom writer behind it.

In terms of Linehan's other recent output there's, what, Count Arthur Strong? And that's dreadful. The radio show was better than the TV series without Linehan's involvement, which isn't a ringing endorsement for his talents these days.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This has all the makings of been terrible, but if you'd have said 10 years ago that a hip hop musical on the life of the first Secretary of the Treasury would take both Broadway and the West End by storm then you'd have been laughed out of the room. 

As long as it's better than Harry Hill's musical about the X Factor. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Motherland. Really good sitcom.

That passed me by entirely. Some good names in the cast though, I will hunt it down at some point. 

@BomberPat Fucking hell, I'd forgotten about Count Arthur Strong. That character has potential, but everything about it was off. Shit supporting cast, shit writing. It had one of the most ham-fisted attempts at a heartfelt serious bit I've ever seen, with the conspiracy theorist type character. I can scarcely believe it made it to air. 

• Awards Moderator
57 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

t seemed like Graham Linehan was a minority partner

The criteria was "being a part of." Can't argue with that. I agree though, for things that shout proudly Linehan, zero wins since Black Books 1.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

I don't really have anything against O'Hanlon, not a fan or a hater just someone I couldn't care a less about. He only worked as he was kind of baby faced and innocent looking. He now looks like what he his, an old git.

I can't forgive him for My Hero. What a absolute shower of shite.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

I can't forgive him for My Hero. What a absolute shower of shite.

If you think that was bad, his performances as the lead in Death in Paradise make Dev Alahan look like Orson Welles.

@Lion_of_the_Midlands Thing is, Alexander Hamilton had a genuinely fascinating life worthy of a musical. Discounting that, Hamilton wasn't written by the man who used to be Graham Lineham.

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

what was the last good thing Linehan was a part of?

As a few people have pointed out, The IT Crowd was probably the last great thing he made/was part of.

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

Series 1 of Black Books? 

Watched Black Books last year (picked the box set up cheap) and was really unimpressed by it. Nowhere near the levels of Father Ted or IT Crowd and I think even Count Arthur Strong was better than it. Might have to give it a watch again sometime, but I was very underwhelmed given the praise for it over the years.

2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

If you think that was bad, his performances as the lead in Death in Paradise make Dev Alahan look like Orson Welles.

Do they bloody ever. If sticking him in this musical gets him off my TV on Thursday nights, I'm all for it.

Archived