UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Felder got the fight with Perry.

Ive fancied DC since the day this fight was announced. Im not as high on Stipe as most, i dont really see him being elite at any one thing he just puts it all together well, that said i cant see him handling DC's wrestling. Seeing how DC threw other good wrestlers around at heavyweight i just fancy him to out grapple Stipe and possibly outbox him. DC by late TKO.

I can't make my mind up on the top two fights at all.

I want a Cormier win, I love the guy and if another Jones fight does ever go down, I'd have him as having more of a chance at Heavyweight. After seeing all the shit he's had to put up with relating to Jonny Bones, beating Stipe would be a proper redeeming moment for him. On the other hand, I really fucking rate Stipe. As in, if he beats Cormier he's got to be a properly strong contender for the best Heavyweight of all time, no? His resume is outstanding. Head is saying Stipe at the moment, heart fancies DC.

• Paid Members

He already might be the best heavyweight of all time, just based on his accomplishments. To me it's him or Fedor. As of right now I'd slightly give the nod to Fedor based on longevity but if Stipe beats DC, and especially if he stops him, he's probably passed Fedor. An elite wrestler is the only thing Stipe hasn't wrecked yet, so if he batters DC, who as well as a top flight wrestler is also a future HOF MMA fighter, it's hard to not rate him at the top. At that point the only people arguing against Stipe as #1 heavy of all time will be the die-hard Cain Velasquez fans who weirdly can't let go of the fact that despite Cain being an awesome fighter, he actually hasn't achieved that much in terms of any kind of résumé to make the GOAT argument. The 2 JDS wins are all that have kept him in the convo for me. Besides that, wins over Brock and Bigfoot don't come close to what Stipe's done over the last few years. The GOAT thing is about who achieved the most and/or did it most impressively. Not what you think a fighter's potential is/was. Cain had all the potential in the world but sadly we might never know what he could've achieved because he's spent the last 5 years falling apart at the joints. 

So yeah, this is a proper legacy fight for both men. If Stipe wins, he's as good as nailed on as the greatest heavyweight ever and will have pretty much cleared out the division. If Cormier wins then he's solidified himself as one of the best ever, kind of washes away some of that Jon Jones stench and becomes only the second man ever to hold 2 UFC titles in 2 weight classes simultaneously. It's a massive fight for DC especially. Mega. Only 6 days away! 

I would love to see Miocic vs Jones. I think Stipe has the height, reach and boxing to give Jones a lot of issues. 

If Miocic beats D.C then I think he will have a better resume than Fedor. Miocic's resume has more top-level heavyweights on it. However, I can't shake the feeling that if we used a time machine to teleport Miocic back to the Saitama Super Arena circa 2005 that Miocic would come undone against the likes of Fedor, Cro Cop and Big Nog. MMA's talent pool is certainly a lot deeper these days than what it was in 2005. But I am not convinced that the Heavyweight division has evolved over the years. I still think the division was at its best in the mid-2000s, in terms of depth and talent. 

I may change my mind on the above if Miocic beats D.C on Saturday. As Wand said, it's a massive fight for both men. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I think Stipe has the height, reach and boxing to give Jones a lot of issues.

Undeniable touch of death power too. That was always the intrigue with Jones v Rumble - how would a Jon Jones cope with such power.

Stipe was on an incredible run of KO's before he decided to wrestlefuck Frances "gold medallists can't take him down, bro" Ngannou.

I've said this a few times, but DC beats Stipe, then Stipe beats Jones because MMA maths.

Holloway out with concussion. It doesn't sound good at all. Max is really having quite the rough year isn't he?  Can't see T-City taking any other fight and making the same mistake Frankie did. 

A blow to the card but still an absolute monster. 

• Paid Members

I hope Max can recover from this. He spent Monday night in the hospital, was released and then passed out following the open workputs. When they managed to revive him, he was seeing flashing lights and had slurred speech. It sounds pretty bad to me. I just hope it's something that he can get better from and make a good recovery. 

Anyone see the Max interview with Bisping on UFC Tonight - or one of the Fox shows? He's like David Blaine on GMTV all those years ago.  And that would have been very early in the cut. 

You have to wonder when he sustained the concussion? 

• Paid Members

This has ruined my week. This was the fight I was quietly looking forward to the most of all the upcoming cards. 

Sounds very worrying from what I've read as well. Concussions can be the deathknell of a career quick. It wasn't that long ago TJ Grant was on a tear and in line for a shot at the lightweight title. He suffered a concussion and has never fought since. He just disappeared. I hope this is something Max can come back from but it's scary. That combination of cutting a lot or weight and getting hit in the head is mental when you think about it. It's not overexaggerating to say they're flirting with death. 

Thought they might've gone with Ortega vs Aldo now but sounds like that's not on the cards. 

Archived