UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

There's some hindsight to the Bisping vs Hendo thing but it's not all with the benefit of hindsight. There was plenty to like about that fight going in, despite the section of fans who were shitting on it. Plus you had the likes of Jacare and Weidman either injured or coming off losses and Romero was coming off that USADA thing. Then there was the history between Bisping and Hendo. And there was logic from both ends. For Bisping it was a chance to avenge his worst loss. And for Hendo it was his last shot at winning that elusive UFC belt before riding off into the sunset. 

DC and Shogun have no history. There's no real hook there. There's no sense that Shogun even really has a chance in fucking hell. At least Hendo always had that H-Bomb in the back pocket. Shogun hasn't fought 16 months and hasn't looked great or beat anyone near the title picture in about 7 or 8 years. If DC is going to fight at 205 next, they need to wait and see what happens with this Gustafsson vs Oezdemir fight at UFC 227. It's in early August so only a few weeks away. If Gus wins that then DC vs Gus 2 is absolutely the fight to make. If Volkan beats Gus obviously you can't really do DC vs Volkan 2 yet. But why not just wait and see how things play out. 

Frankly, anyone condoning DC vs Shogun needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror. That would be plain cruel. Like putting a friendly, loveable old golden retriever in a fight with a pitbull that hasn't been fed for a week. Sick shit.  

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's weird because from a recoded standpoint, I guess you can make the case. Shogun's on a 3 fight win streak, there probably aren't many others in the division who are. But you have to look further into it than that. Those wins were over 1) Gian Villante - who is a brawler and a favourable style matchup for Shogun. 2) Corey Anderson - this was iffy, many felt Corey should've got the decision. And 3) Little Nog - whose decline has been even more clear than Shogun's. It's not really a 'streak' in the Goldberg sense, is it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Shogun's as shot as people make out. He's not at that Rashad or BJ Penn stage. He can still win fights against guys from his era or might catch the odd up and comer if they're not ready. But that's it in 2018. His days as a contender are done. It'd be different if say, Dan Henderson was still fighting and had somehow landed a one in a million bomb to win the 205 belt. Then you've got a Bisping vs Hendo 2 type situation and Shogun getting a crack under that very specific, unique and unlikely set of circumstances would oddly make sense. But he's got no business in there with Cormier. Zero. I actually think it would very slightly put a bit of a downer on what DC's just accomplished. It wouldn't lessen the achievement but DC's probably the hottest name in the sport on the heels of this show, a squash match title defence now would sort of throw a some ice on that. If this is what he's planning, an easy fight just to fight for the sake of it at 205, I'd rather he sit out and just wait to fight Brock. Even if it means we only get one more fight out of DC instead of two. A win over 2018 Shogun does very little for DC's legacy, it wouldn't be a huge payday and it's another rough weight cut for a pointless fight. It's not necessary. It adds nothing to the hype for the Brock fight, the Brock fight doesn't need to see Shogun die in the buildup. It's just a bit of a shit idea all round to me. 

Anyway, all this is pointless because Shogun's getting walloped by Anthony Smith in a couple of weeks :angry: 

• Paid Members

If DC wants to fight twice more, then it probably wouldn't be the worst idea to just take the six months gap before he can fight Lesnar, then delay his retirement slightly by a few months and fight again next July in whatever seems like the right fight by then. 

I think from DC’s perspective, there’s only 2 fights that pay the bills: Brock and Jon.

The first of those is at least 6 months away, and he wants to stay active and get a small, easy pay day to get him through as he winds up his career.

My preference is he sits out, but I fully understand why he doesn’t want to take a potential hiding/loss from Gus.

I reckon we just tell Novitsky to take a hike, then we can go Brock first, then Jon... then he can relinquish his titles and finish his career in an exhibition match against a Rua-type if he likes.

22 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The elephant in the room here is that Miocic clearly didn’t respect DC’s power.

And the eye poke of doom. Don't forget the eye poke of doom. He got a few warnings for it, but hey, you do what you gotta do I guess 😉

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

If DC wants to fight twice more, then it probably wouldn't be the worst idea to just take the six months gap before he can fight Lesnar, then delay his retirement slightly by a few months and fight again next July in whatever seems like the right fight by then. 

At the press conference DC seemed adamant that he's retiring in March. Seems like his mind is made up and he really doesn't want to budge on that. Sounds like if Jones isn't sorted in time, Cormier's not interested in waiting around for him to get his academics in order. 

1 hour ago, David said:

And the eye poke of doom. Don't forget the eye poke of doom. He got a few warnings for it, but hey, you do what you gotta do I guess 😉

Marc Goddard is such a good referee isn't he?  Takes no shit while trying to keep it flowing.

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Marc Goddard is such a good referee isn't he?  Takes no shit while trying to keep it flowing.

Best ref out there now I think. Used to be Herb Dean, but he's been a bit iffy lately.

Think DC was literally one eye poke away from losing a point, but what he did looked fucking brutal, and if it were anyone other than the fat, affable, Popeye chicken lovin' DC there would be more questions about how intentional it was I think.

Looking at it again it looked as though he actually flicked his hand out at Miocic with the intention of using the fingers. It doesn't look like he was trying to throw a punch whatsoever.

The 2nd replay on this video is pretty damning I think.

But still, that's how the game goes. I'm sure Miocic will be next in line once Brock overwhelms DC. He's still on course to be the greatest heavyweight of all time I reckon. 

• Paid Members

Not massively against DC/Shogun. If Shogun somehow defeats Anthony Smith he'll be riding a 4 fight streak so it could be justified. Theres no real clear cut contender at 205 either, go look at the rankings, who else would you put in with DC if he defends his title before Brock?... Latifi? Blaschowicz?

As for heavyweight, anyone think the UFC would entertain the idea of elevating DC to a Super Champ like status? i know that opens a huge can of worms and the people who love the UFC's simple one title format's heads would explode, but if they realistically are gonna do DC/Brock then possibly DC/Jones or Brock/Jones at HW before the eventual winner vacates for whatever reason why not create a super title and creat a 'regular' title for the rest of the division to compete for? stick Curtis Blaydes/Derrick Lewis in the cage for it. It solves the issue of divisions being held up. Its a very boxing thing to do and works like the dreaded interim title but in the era where superfights need to be created to generate business i dont see why not. 

4 hours ago, David said:

Think DC was literally one eye poke away from losing a point, but what he did looked fucking brutal, and if it were anyone other than the fat, affable, Popeye chicken lovin' DC there would be more questions about how intentional it was I think.

Looking at it again it looked as though he actually flicked his hand out at Miocic with the intention of using the fingers. It doesn't look like he was trying to throw a punch whatsoever.

The 2nd replay on this video is pretty damning I think. 

Yeah it looked well dodgy, even after he was told about it he had to be told just seconds later. 

Archived