UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still on:

A member of DC’s camp told ESPN: “[Cormier’s] not happy about the spill today. A speaker was placed next to his chair and he tripped over it. He made it clear […] that the fight is not in jeopardy, though.”

• Paid Members

You know something I'm struggling with? Why is Derrick Lewis such a big underdog against Francis Ngannou? I'd understand if this was after the Overeem fight but before Francis Vs Stipe. I have this as much more of a toss up than the bookmakers do. If either of these men connect with the right shot, it's Goodnight, Sweetheart. Yet Ngannou by KO is 8/13 and Lewis by KO is 9/2. 

I'm like a child stuck in a sweet shop not knowing what to buy, when looking at the top fights on this card. I don't want Stipe, DC, Francis or big 'Del to lose. Is there anyway both fights could go to majority draws and then they all just go back to wailing away on Werdum, Overeem, and any of the other unlikeable Heavies that can be found? Whatever happens at least, I know I'll be happy for the winner of these fights in the aftermath. 

• Paid Members

i very nearly put Lewis on my betslip but i didnt, that fight really is a 50/50, who connects first type deal.

I went with DC, Felder, Assuncao and Adesanya from the TUF Finale.

• Paid Members

I think Lewis definitely has a very real shot of landing a bomb and knocking Ngannou out. But I think it's right that Ngannou is being favoured. They both have frightening power but Ngannou is the better striker for me, plus quicker and I'd say he has more of that freaky one shot power. Plus I'm not sure Lewis' heart is really in fighting. People forget but it wasn't long ago he retired when he was getting married and stuff. And he's shown a signs that he can be broken in a fight like when he basically gave up against Mark Hunt then claimed it was because his gut was playing up and he needed a beastly shit or something. I love the big lump but I just get the feeling he's a bit of a frontrunner. And for all the criticism on Ngannou after the loss to Stipe, one thing he wasn't given credit for was that he toughed it out and hung in there for 5 rounds. Something all the other top heavies, who are much more experienced, couldn't manage against Stipe. There were plenty of opportunities where Ngannou could've found a way out if he wanted to, given up his back, quit on the stool etc, but he kept going to the bitter end in a fight he was badly losing. We don't know a great deal about Ngannou but that fight showed that he's not mentally weak or a Rumble Johnson type who folds when it gets tough. 

Not discounting Lewis, if he connects early it could be over. He's always got that chance. But all things considered, I do expect Ngannou to come out on top. He's not been bettered in the standup yet and I don't expect this to be any different. 

• Paid Members

It's worth a try but I think Stipe made it look easier than it probably is to outwrestle Ngannou. Can't hurt for Lewis to mix it up though. 

Oh and if there's some kind of silver lining to Holloway-Ortega being off, Lando's fight has been bumped up to the TV prelims. Here's the final lineup...

PPV:

Stipe Miocic vs Daniel Cormier - Heavyweight Title

Francis Ngannou vs Derrick Lewis 

Mike Perry vs Paul Felder

Anthony Pettis vs Michael Chiesa 

Gokhan Saki vs Khalil Rountree

FOX SPORTS 1:

Uriah Hall vs Paulo Costa

Raphael Assuncao vs Rob Font

Lando Vannata vs Drakkar Klose 

Curtis Millender vs Max Griffin

FIGHT PASS:

Dan Hooker vs Gilbert Burns

Jamie Moyle vs Emily Whitmire

• Paid Members

Still a tremendous card. Im gonna have to watch the Fight Pass prelims to see Dan Hooker though, feeling that guy deserves a better slot than that. A couple of years ago a Fight Pass headlinining spot was a bit of a prized slot in itself but that seems to have cooled, Hooker should be on main cards for me at this point.

It's strange how the hype completely cooled on Ngannou. If he's somehow managed to finish Stipe this card would be all about Ngannou, the UFC were ready to strap the rocket to that guy. It can still happen but such a glaring weakness was exposed. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of this fight spent in the clinch against the fence in body lock position, Lewis will bum rush in and I see them spending a lot of time doing not a lot. Someone will eventually land a bomb though.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

It's worth a try but I think Stipe made it look easier than it probably is to outwrestle Ngannou. Can't hurt for Lewis to mix it up though. 

Yeah. I think nearly everyone else in the division isn't making it out of that 3 minute tornado Stipe somehow managed to survive. Ngannou was throwing everything to murder, but Stipe was moving like he spent his fight camp under the tutelage of Ra's al Gul.

Ngannou is huge too and we saw how much it zapped out of Stipe just keeping such a frame on the ground, and I fancy Stipe has a better gas tank than Lewis.

You also hope Ngannou's camp has some sense to drill takedown defence super hard.

Archived