The Kids

BrodyGraham

Ok, so we are constantly told that Roman and Cena and the like are  in their spots because kids love them, right?

I was just wondering, is that true? My little girl watches the Raw and Smackdown highlights with me every week as well as NXT and her favourites aren't necessarily the prescribed choices.

Who has kids/nephews/nieces/young siblings and are they into the prescribed ’Big Stars’?

As it stands, my little one loves Nakamura, Bailey and Sasha on the main roster and The Undisputed Era and Kairi Sane on NXT. She used to like Shayna Baszler until she started picking on Kairi Sane!

She couldn't, however, differentiate between Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns.

My 7 year old daughter loves Daniel Bryan, purely for the Yes chant. Cena or Reigns don't do anything she can join in with. I should qualify this slightly by saying she's never watched an entire PPV or even an entire match, but she loves watching the entrances.

She did cry with excitement when I explained he was allowed to wrestle again, though.

I've got 2 boys aged 6 and 8.  They are both wrestling obsessed and just started gymnastics classes to learn flips ha.  For them their favourites seen to be driven by the wrestlers with big entrances and music they love so that they can spend their time acting out the same walking to their trampoline come wrestling ring.   Cena does nothing for them but they do both love Roman.  Their top faves are currently Reigns, Fin Balor, Alexa Bliss, New Day, Auska, Braun and the Miz.    They have recently set up a YouTube page for their wrestling stuff.  It won't interest many of you for sure but they would be stoked if a few of you might give them a follow and like a couple of their vids.  :). 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC15cJbDCrWcijxQsl3hGzVA

I think it is the little things with the young ones isn't it? Kairi Sane and Bayley are no brainers for a four year old girl and Nakamura is distinctive enough to stand out.

Undisputed Era however are the last thing she should like, right? Kids aren't supposed to like work rate guys, right? Obviously the Adam Cole Bay Bay thing helps but if a four year old girl is laughing at Kyle O'Reilly and his mugging and asking why Bobby Fish isn't wrestling right now, how relevant is the cookie cutter WWE guy?

• Paid Members

Is that Kevin Owens on top of the playset? If so, that's a very...complimentary resemblance of him. 

Back on topic, I think Pete Dunne and Trent Seven brought up a great point on Jericho's podcast about connecting with a casual audience, especially kids, in that you need to have three or four characteristics to identify yourself, mainly; a taunt that fans can copy, recognizable entrance music and a distinctive finisher that you want to see. If you can't name or describe those attributes off the top off your head, then that wrestler is going to have trouble connecting.

As a kid, my first favorite wrestler was Shawn Micheals. I would copy his flex taunt and corner foot stomp, I got bought a cassette of WWF theme music just to listen to his theme song and to this day I'm throwing superkicks into thin air (when no one is looking, of course). Going to school I would copy the way he slapped fan's hands in the aisle whenever I would walk past a row of hedges or bushes. That's a connection, lads. Makes some sort of sense. 

Take Orton, for example. I don't like the guy, but I know his music within milli-seconds, everyone is doing his pose during his entrance and people go ape shit for his finsih. Same with Finn and AJ; entrance music, pose, finish. Nakamura hasn't got a taunt you can copy in an arena but everyone has tried to do it whilst drunk at a BBQ using the garden fence. Right?

I remember one time, we had my niece down for a bit and I felt so compelled to teach her the Daniel Bryan Yes Chant waith the arm raising. But it was a bit tricky as she was going on 2 at the time and yet to fully grasp language even though she was at the stage she was starting to recognise people by name. So me and my brother went through the list at the time and we tried Ryback's Feed Me More with the appropriate actions. Which was successful. She could do it completely unprompted because it was a lot easier to do. It was pretty much our thing for a while. A couple of weeks later, my sister actually thanked us for that because she broke it out at the children's liturgy in church and a few of the kids were apparently doing it as well.

On the topic of Ryback, he had it dialled down very well. Easily imitable taunt. Had a chant to go with it. Really cool entrance theme and an distinctive finisher. The best part was when he got a Feed Me Shield chant going and it caught everyone off guard. He may not have been the most popular guy towards the end of his run, but can't say he wasn't over at one stage.

My son and nephew don't like or watch wrestling but know who John Cena is, have his figure and think he's amazing.

I think that's more the angle they mean with the kids. Kids that don't even like wrestling like Cena.

• Paid Members

My missus six year old has some toys and the ring but its hard to make him keep focus long enough to actually watch it on tv. He more sees some moves then wants to recreate them. He's got a new mate now though whos wrestling mad so im hoping it draws him in a little more where he actually wants to watch some stuff.

He does insist on watching Boogeyman vidoes on youtube though.

• Paid Members

The two children in my life like Balor, Danny Bry, Nia and Sasha most. Although my mate's daughter also loves what she's seen of the Bella twins so honestly, we shouldn't trust children.

Daniel Bryan and the Bellas are an interesting case in regards to this though.

In the run up to Mania we were watching a bunch of the build up videos on YouTube and the little one saw Bryan, she wanted to watch everything she could about him. Hence a good hour watching the suggested vids including lots of The Bella’s channel. The knowledge that Bryan and Brie have a baby was enough to tip her over the edge. She now asks to watch Birdie Jo’s videos and has asked to try a bunch of fruit and veg she has spent the last 2 years turning her nose up at. 

To summarize my last 3 posts, wrestling has exposed my four year old as a massive hipster.

Fuck Avocados.

Am I right in saying that Cena's current gimmick is pretty much the guy who's done it all and has nothing much left to prove? So his appeal to younger kids today, when his stories draw upon the viewer's appreciation of his history with the company, might not be what it was 5+ years ago?

On 5/22/2018 at 12:09 PM, El Dingo Capitano said:

I've got 2 boys aged 6 and 8.  They are both wrestling obsessed and just started gymnastics classes to learn flips ha.  For them their favourites seen to be driven by the wrestlers with big entrances and music they love so that they can spend their time acting out the same walking to their trampoline come wrestling ring.   Cena does nothing for them but they do both love Roman.  Their top faves are currently Reigns, Fin Balor, Alexa Bliss, New Day, Auska, Braun and the Miz.    They have recently set up a YouTube page for their wrestling stuff.  It won't interest many of you for sure but they would be stoked if a few of you might give them a follow and like a couple of their vids.  :). 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC15cJbDCrWcijxQsl3hGzVA

Not sure you should be allowing this sort of thing... 

Archived