Stuff that happened as a child that really shouldnt have.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

On cross-country running, our school was on the border of Moss Side and mostly went through Alexandra Park. If anything was going to make you run faster, it was that.

Anyway, one year me and my mate decided to take a short cut through a load of bushes and that, but when we got through the other side who was stood there but our PE teacher, who then made us go all the way back and the long way round. How the fuck did he know anyone was going to cut through there, I still have no idea to this day.

Sidenote that said PE teacher was Jim Mallender, who I assume rugby fans on here will know. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We had Rugby once. Scrawny kid got tackled and instead of his head hitting soft grass, it hit concrete and he had a seizure. No more Rugby after that. Thank Christ because it just ended up being an out of control punch-fest. It wasn't really about the ball, it was about grabbing the fat or scrawny kid and beating the piss out of him.

What schools did you go to Baz? It must have been in the east end of Glasgow? I went to St. Andrews in Carntyne and never witnessed anything like that in PE.

I was always near the top of the class in primary school sports but at secondary school the bigger range of boys from all over pushed me down to above average, especially in athletic type stuff. But I was also in the War Gaming and Chess clubs so definitely at the bottom of the social ladder in that respect. In fact I got quite a hard time off a few kids at the start of first year until we got to the football block in PE. I was quite a physical player for that age and I think it took a few of them aback. After that I seemed to get a little less hassle but was still tarred as a geek and regularly tripped up or had my chair pulled away as I went to sit down etc.

We had a stout, bald Northern PE teacher who was a massive rugby fan and considered football a "girls" sport. Prior to one rugby lesson, everyone's waiting out on the field and pissing about doing drop kicks, because what else do you do before the teacher arrives? Anyway, he finally jogs into the throng, and the drop kicks are dying down. But before order is obtained, one of the last kicks is on its descent from high in the air, and lands plum on his bald head. Let's just say he didn't react particularly well. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Drfunke said:

Should never have happened.

Correct. 

You managed the double header of misunderstanding the topic and outing yourself as a massive pervert, gratz. 

• Paid Members
On 6/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, MungoChutney said:

What schools did you go to Baz? It must have been in the east end of Glasgow? I went to St. Andrews in Carntyne and never witnessed anything like that in PE.

John Street in Bridgeton. Must have been 1994-ish. Place has been knocked down now though.

On 5/30/2018 at 6:51 PM, Loki said:

@LORD MOUNTEVANS and I went to similar schools I think.

Nonces really were allowed to operate with impunity in those days, weren't they?  We had a similar teacher at our school, very handsy with the boys, insisted om checking each boy as they left the shower to check they were "clean".  Some of the parents complained about him, and he was quietly moved on to another school, where he presumably did the same shit.

Physical punishment was still a big thing in my time.  Teachers used to throw blackboard dusters (the big wooden ones) at you regularly.  One teacher got so incensed by a classmate's thickness that he stuffed him headfirst into a bin and beat the bin with a broom handle.  He'd actually patrol the classroom with broom handle in hand during classes, it was his incentive for paying attention.

Another common punishment was you had to stand in the corner with arms outstretched and a large book on each upraised palm.  If you dropped your arms you got the broom handle.

Caning was still the ultimate punishment, although they downgraded it to being beaten with a trainer by the time I left.

The teaching environment was like the Wild West.  Teachers all smoked in class, some of them smoked fucking pipes.  The science teacher was an ex-Brigadeer who'd served in Normandy, and had German helmets and bayonets to prove it which you could borrow for the weekend.  He had some good teaching ideas as well - to teach us all about electricity he'd get us all to stand in a circle holding hands, then he'd give the two end boys copper wire, plug them into the mains and switch it on.  

The best thing he did was, once a year on a very windy day, he'd take us all outside to the playing fields, and unpack his parachute from WW2.  Then he'd strap you in the parachute, and let go and you'd be pulled across the playing fields whilst he drove alongside you in his jeep, before collecting you up before you hit the barbed wire fence at the bottom.  Then back to the top for the next kid's go.   Best teacher I ever had, so much fun.

So many stories - and then I think the government brought in some legislation in the early 90s and the place had to clean itself up a TON.

I love this post because it's honest & it does need to be documented to prove to different eras that stuff like this did happen on a daily basis for years. 

If i am being honest, i don't think the less brutal forms of discipline did any harm. If they were regulated & not just carried out by mentalists, they could even work today. The pupils almost seem to be in charge nowadays, so somewhere in the middle would teach today's kids right from wrong IMHO :)

Archived