Roman Reigns *Spoilers and all that*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For every mixed and negative reaction Cena got, people never left the arena en masse during his match and the company stuck to their guns with him for better or worse. Reigns is way too gone now I imagine even a heel turn would do more damage than good.

The worst part is, it isn't his fault, at least not entirely. People who chant "you can't wrestle" at him are clearly mutants of the highest order because he can, and he can very well. Its the way that he is booked that lets him down in so many ways, like it taking 6 F5s to put him down at Wrestlemania. i really like the guy, but even I was going "oh fucking come off it" after the 3rd one. I was expecting him to get out of some as is the style these days and with it being Wrestlemania, but having someone kick of a finisher can only work so many times because the crowd, hardcore or otherwise, see through it.

Out of the ring, he is also presented as a complete gimp at times. The way he just accepted the suspension from Vince McMahon, freely letting the police handcuff him, working away from the heel during a promo. Go back to last year, and Cena completely exposed him in the lead-up to their match. i don't think he was doing it maliciously, but he just showed how far behind Roman, and alot of the rest of roster for that matter, is from taking his place.

I don't know if it is a confidence thing with Reings or not, but if he is to be 'the guy', then he should be able to say to someone in creative or Vince or whoever, "this doesn't work for me (brother)". He's clearly a team player and just does what he is told, but he is doing so at the expense of being made to look like a complete moron at times

A lot of that must be him surely. He just doesn't seem to be someone who has a lot of ideas or prepared to take risks, still rocking the shield gimmick kind of indicates that. Seems happy to do whatever he is told. Reigns is like having all the ingredients but no recipe.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Has there ever been a man more fucked that him? 1993 Lex Luger is probably out there in some alternative galaxy going "sucks to be you, mate." Amazing how wrong they got it with him.

I've used the term "Lugered him" several times to describe some of the fuck-awful booking choices for Roman or false dawns. On the one hand, Roman's never been made to celebrate a count out like a total simpleton. However, at least they only false started on Lex once, and the second abortion was full blown "he's not making it." Between Mania 31, the disasters surrounding his first 3(!) WWE title wins where he was made to look a moron by Sheamus and Triple H, to Mania gone and then Jeddah, he's had his balls cut off a stupid number of times. I really don't understand why, if the company want him to be "the man," they've fannied around so much about putting a belt back on him. It's been nearly two years. Utter bullshit. Why should anyone get behind him? They've made him a loser too many times. Cena wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he was a fucking winner.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I don't know if it is a confidence thing with Reings or not, but if he is to be 'the guy', then he should be able to say to someone in creative or Vince or whoever, "this doesn't work for me (brother)". He's clearly a team player and just does what he is told, but he is doing so at the expense of being made to look like a complete moron at times

You know when old timers harp on about taking the bull by the horn, to stand up and be counted, speak up and be heard etc? (Like when Austin kicked off at Ambrose on the network podcast)?

This is the issue with Reigns. You can’t help but feel he’s overwhelmed by it all and doesn’t want to challenge a fucking thing. Then you have to also think, if he is a bit weak willed and lacks confidence due to the relentless booing, in reality his massive pay cheque, big royalties from merch sales and constant pushing to champ status won’t matter a jot. He’s broken and doesn’t have an opinion.

”Vince, I’m not happy about being paid more than 90% of the roster and I’m not that keen on being on top either mate.”

In fairness, not many can get away with saying much when in such a position, let alone someone without confidence but in the past, you only tended to get to the top by having an opinion, moving and shaking and playing politics. Reigns hasn’t got a clue. He hasn’t had to hustle.

He’s basically Donald Blythe from House if Cards.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, air_raid said:

. I really don't understand why, if the company want him to be "the man," they've fannied around so much about putting a belt back on him

When vince was saying the belts don't matter a few years ago he meant it. 

He's smart enough to know they booked the belts to nothing but possibly not interested in the long term game of changing that so he just lives in the world he made, where belts don't matter. If belts don't matter why care who has it? 

Is there a hustle for anybody now though? Gone are the days of people holding Vince up the weekend of a PPV or refusing to drop a championship. In fact, when do you reckon the last time anybody refused to do a job was? Like actually flat out refusing, not trying to propose a different outcome. You aren't working for a promoter anymore, you're working for a corporation who will bankrupt you in legal fees if you veer away from whats in a one sided contract. Sure, I imagine guys still have input as far as their product and character goes and im sure guys are asked if they would be up for something, but thats not hustle.

Im fairly sure theyre trying to present Reigns as 'not the companies guy' by not letting him win the golden ticket but thats a pathetic direction to take. I think ill always feel they could have used the Daniel Bryan situation before WM30 to Reigns' advantage. Having him be the guy whos not Bryan but atleast hes not Orton or Batista could have seen him in a different position now. Like most things in recent memory, they were too late and indecisive in guaging what fans didnt want.

• Paid Members

@Van Dammer

Yeah, I dare bet Brock says and gets what he wants. Fair fucks to him. Also, although Cena is a top lad for continuously putting people over, and works with the booing etc, I dare bet if something was on his mind he’d pipe the fuck up.

I’m not saying anyone is or should hold the company to ransom, but if you’re in a position to point your point across, then do so and push your opinion. Which I get the impression Reigns doesn’t. I might be wrong about that, and if I am wrong, the scenario is arguably even worse.

• Paid Members

Reigns wore dear trainers once for a PPV match, but quickly reverted back to his boots when Vince gave him abuse after his match. Who knows, maybe Reigns does come up with ideas but they're shite, like wearing those contact lenses.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Reigns wore dear trainers once for a PPV match, but quickly reverted back to his boots when Vince gave him abuse after his match. Who knows, maybe Reigns does come up with ideas but they're shite, like wearing those contact lenses.

How long did he wear those blue contact lenses for? I genuinely thought he looked much better with them.

It's funny the Luger thing has been brought us at it shows just how quickly things have changed previously.
WWF realised Luger wasn't working within, what, 4 months so stopped the mega push and put the belt back on Bret.

I am undecided if it just complete stubbornness on Vince's part or just total incompetence that he refuses to see he is flogging a long dead horse with Reigns.

I do feel bad for the guy, but as has been said, if he is not speaking out and just blindly doing as he is told [which it seems this generation, on the whole, tends to do] then he really has nobody to blame but himself in that instance. 

• Paid Members

1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

How long did he wear those blue contact lenses for? I genuinely thought he looked much better with them.

Bugger knows. I thought they were gash. Mainly because he just randomly started wearing them in the midst of his big push, so they were always distracting. Like whenever Paul Walsh turns up on Soccer Saturday looking like a Truman Capote.

4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Out of the ring, he is also presented as a complete gimp at times.

He's also not terribly interesting, though. I know that's not the biggest detriment to being a draw but it's fertile ground for conversation outside the usual "he's being booked wrong and the fans are stupid too". 

I don't think I can recall Reigns ever doing something on TV, Twitter or any WWE supplementary programming that's come across even remotely funny or likable. He's an awful personality, and barely looks like he's enjoying himself. The most those kind of acts can generally hope for is one solid, big Kevin Nash 95 run during a period of quiet business and fuck all other options. 

Has anybody honestly got many favourites that they wouldn't enjoy watching footage of just walking around shooting the shit? It's such an important ingredient to being the guy, that ability to go on Conan and look like you're having a laugh. 

Reigns just blows. Big matches are all he's good at. I'm sure some interesting characterization will come as he heels it up more but no, I don't think standing in the ring getting booed for half my lifespan and then saying the words "this is my yard now" is ~great promo territory.  

Archived