Eurovision 2018 - Lisbon - All Aboard! (tons of YT links)

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

The most joyous time of the year is upon us once more with an early May Eurovision.

The Eurovision Song Contest runs with the 2 Semi Final format as it has done for the past several years.  10 songs go through from each Semi Final to join the hosts, Portugal, and THE BIG FIVE~! (UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain) in the Grand Final.  THE BIG FIVE~! are through by virtue of the fact that they foot a large portion of the bill.

Last year was won by The Shape of Water in musical form, "Amar Pelos Dois" by Salvador Sobral, with Portugal's first ever win in the ESC.

Salvador had a heart transplant at the end of last year, but it has been confirmed that he will perform at the Grand Final, yay!

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

Semi Final 1
Tuesday 8th May
20:00-22:00
BBC Four

A lot of the bookies' favourites in this one, but with other strong contenders someone could be going home very disappointed.

Aisel - X My Heart - Azerbaijan - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Azerbaijan take Eurovision very seriously having already won it once and finished highly a few times more in their first decade of competing.  Decent song, but I can't promise that there will be a guy up a ladder in a horse mask this year.  Mad odds of up to 200/1 on this, which given the Azeri's Eurovision pedigree is probably worth 10p e/w.

Ari Ólafsson - Our Choice - Iceland - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Seems to be a song about Euthanasia sung by the cleanest cut lad you've ever seen.  If this gets out of the semi I may choke laughing.

Eugent Bushpepa - Mall - Albania - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Love this.  Very folksy.

Sennek - A Matter Of Time - Belgium - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Belgium have been smashing it for the last few years and this keeps up their good run.  You may well find yourself drifting into "Skyfall" by Adele though.  Oddly, last year's competitor for Belgium looked a bit like Adele so I'm seeing a pattern emerging.

Mikolas Josef - Lie To Me (Eurovision version) - Czech Republic - Official Music Video

The thumbnail says it all.  It wouldn't be Eurovision without a huge side order of cheese.  Very popular with the bookies even if I'm not a fan.  About halfway through the video a camel appears, which I'm hoping pops up on the night.

Ieva Zasimauskaitė - When We're Old - Lithuania - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Sweet

Netta - TOY - Israel - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Now with another broadcaster as last year's contest was the final broadcast for the IBA, Israel are sitting as a strong favourite with the bookies.  Catchy, but a little bit poundshop Bjork aesthetic for me.

ALEKSEEV - FOREVER - Belarus - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Mark Owen?

Elina Nechayeva - La Forza - Estonia - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

Glittery opera with a projection mapped dress~!  Illegally attractive.

EQUINOX - Bones - Bulgaria - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

Quite decent.

Eye Cue - Lost And Found - F.Y.R. Macedonia - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

FYR Macedonia have what Eurovision has been missing, reggae drops.

Franka - Crazy - Croatia - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Stop by Sam Brown

Cesár Sampson - Nobody But You - Austria - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Decent

Yianna Terzi - Oniro Mou - Greece - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

I had nothing in my notes, so I'm thinking this was stunningly generic.

Saara Aalto - Monsters - Finland - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

If she looks familiar to you that's because she was on X-Factor UK a few years back.  Guilty pleasure territory for me which had me hooked from the first listen... I ain't, I ain't, I ain't, scared no more.

Sevak Khanagyan - Qami - Armenia - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Touch of the Enrique about him and the tune.

ZiBBZ - Stones - Switzerland - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

ZiBBZ are massively over in Chez JB with this track.  Contemporary sound with a little edge, but the funny hat may prevent them from walking away a winner like Celine did for the Swiss.

Ryan O'Shaughnessy - Together - Ireland - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

A bit wet for me, but it has fans.

Eleni Foureira - Fuego - Cyprus - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Another one that's popular with the William Hill's of this world and in fairness it is a banger if you can get beyond the Windows Movie Maker ident at the start of the video and what appears to be a fair bit of autotune.  FUEGO!

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've only seen a little chatter so far but it looks like Greece are favs? The song's pretty damn decent too.

For some reason my notes were blank for that, but it's a bit miserable.  Not quite Jamala for the Ukraine, but up there.  In the betting it's anywhere from 50/1-80/1.

11 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Yea they’re in, they’ll be in Semi Final 2, I assume Johnny is typing up that post now. 

Semi 2 and the Big 5 should be up after I've had my tea.

• Paid Members

The Big Five (& Portugal)

With the now traditional please don't let us win this two years running entry Portugal give us this:

Cláudia Pascoal - O Jardim - Portugal - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

Is she even singing in tune?  The straightjacketed singer joining in part way through doesn't help enormously.

Madame Monsieur - Mercy - France - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

The most notable thing about this is the singer's conk.  A few lines repeated for 2:30 and then 3 words looped for the last 30 seconds.  Disappointed as I adored France's entry last year.  Must be taking money though as it's down at 12s.

Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone - Germany - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Stick some acoustic guitar on it and it's an Ed Sheeran album track.

Ermal Meta e Fabrizio Moro - Non Mi Avete Fatto Niente - Italy - Official Music Video

A creative 180 from Italy.  After the upbeat dancing monkey underperformed despite being heavily favoured they've gone to something featuring refugee kids and stuff getting bombed.  I don't care for it.

Amaia y Alfred - Tu Canción - Spain - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

One thing you tend to notice with Eurovision is that whatever wins one year often means some copycats the next year.  Spain's entry is charming though, even if you wonder if they'd have gone slow had Portugal not smashed it last year.

SuRie - Storm - United Kingdom - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

It's the hope that kills you.  It maybe takes a little too long to reach its peak, but I am in love with it.  The UK placed 15th last year, so I'm hoping this at least gets top 10, maybe top 5, maybe top3?!?.  I even broke my golden rule and looked at the staging for this beforehand.  Lefthandside of the final scoreboard and I think we can be happy.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

For what it’s worth, when I heard our song on the show that decided our song, I quite liked it.

I do love Eurovision though, it’s a great night in with mates and a takeaway. I even quite like those samey indents into each country, with a lady riding a bike along, or kids chasing balloons into the town square etc.

• Paid Members

Semi Final 2
Thursday 10th May
20:00-22:00
BBC Four

Alexander Rybak - That's How You Write A Song - Norway - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

The champ is here.  Record setting 2009 winner returns.  This is no Fairytale, which was absolutely fantastic, but it does have a catchy hook that you'll be humming after one watch.  The song itself is actually fairly pony but it contains a crowd pleasing hook and a Rybak violin solo.  Heavily gimmicked, but I'd expect it to reach the final.  The first returning champ since Lena defended her crown on home turf.

The Humans - Goodbye - Romania - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

80's rockish.  Alright.

Sanja Ilić & Balkanika - Nova Deca - Serbia - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

1/3rd of the running time is intro.  Cannot be saved by the weird old boy on the flute, although the main guy is an absolute unit.

Jessika (feat. Jenifer Brening) - Who We Are - San Marino - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

Clearly the worst entry this year.  Sounds like an Aldi off-brand Heroes with dancing robots instead of projections, with worse camerawork.

Rasmussen - Higher Ground - Denmark - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

I need further proof that this isn't a lift from the Frozen soundtrack (at the beginning with the ice cutters).

Julia Samoylova - I Won't Break - Russia - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Sort of a returner.  Her track was on the CD for last year, but she was banned from entering Ukraine due to entering Crimea from Russia.  This is a different track and is ok.

DoReDos - My Lucky Day - Moldova - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Moldova were last year's surprise package.  This is fun but won't repeat Sunshine Project's placing.

Waylon - Outlaw In 'Em - The Netherlands - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

Waylon sung with Ilse DeLange and The Common Linnets for The Netherlands a few years back.  That was a Nashville sound country track, which finished second to Conchita and "Rise Like a Phoenix."  This is very much Outlaw Country and sounds unique amongst the entries this year.

Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love - Australia - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Another future Mrs JB.  Don't I know her from somewhere?  Possibly.  She was one of the leads in the film The Sapphires, she's appeared as herself in Home and Away (which is one step down from being royalty in Australia) and she's no stranger to Eurovision.  Mauboy performed at SF2 in Denmark in recognition of Australia's love of the ESC.  This was one year before Australia's first show as a competitor.  In 3 shots Australia have never finished outside the top 10, including a silver medal once.  Future Mrs JB trivia: she performed during the handover section at the end of the Glasgow Commonwealth games as it flipped to the Gold Coast.

Ethno-Jazz Band Iriao - For You - Georgia - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Not even joking, this is delightful.

Gromee feat. Lukas Meijer - Light Me Up - Poland - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

I thought that this was alright until THE BEAT DROPS.  Meh.

Christabelle - Taboo - Malta - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

A G:Son number.  Decent enough.

AWS - Viszlát Nyár - Hungary - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Dragonforce on Guitar Hero.

Laura Rizzotto - Funny Girl - Latvia - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Nothing to do with Streisand.  Gets lost in the shuffle.

Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off - Sweden - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

So we're agreed, Sweden has a secret hidden factory where they breed these Eurovision entries?

Vanja Radovanovic - Inje - Montenegro - Official Music Video - Eurovision 2018

Erm, theatrical?

Lea Sirk - Hvala, ne - Slovenia - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

Seizure warning.

MELOVIN - Under The Ladder - Ukraine - Official Video - Eurovision 2018

I will be upset if the Eurovision staging does not include the scaffolding of flame.