Cage Rage

jimufctna24

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

There was little to be gained by fixing that bout. 

But considering that logic went out the window with Cage Rage, it would not surprise me if it was fixed. 

It's the same with the Dave Legeno fights though. They were considered works but it wasn't like Legeno was being groomed for some money fight. If it was a work it simply seemed like they probably paid the opponent a little extra to hit the deck? Legeno was beating MMA legends when doing so, so Shamrock could have fit the bill against Buzz Berry.

Having said that, Shamrock has a bit of a history of going down a little easy, maybe it's more a case of him not wanting to be in there.

There was more of an incentive to fix fights in Legeno's favour. Legeno had roles in the Harry Potter films, and therefore if he had some success in Cage Rage, it could possibly garner them some mainstream attention. They gained very little by giving Buzz Berry the rub. 

Also, if Cage Rage did indeed ask Ken to take a dive, then they were shooting their own parent company in the foot. Ken losing to Berry put paid to Ken's fight with Frank, which Elite XC had planned to put on PPV. However, it's possible that Ken agreed to take the dive, and completely misjudged how much the loss would effect his future earning power. 

Either way, I suspect the truth will come out one day. Nothing would really surprise me. 

• Paid Members

Hardly though, was Legeno's acting/extra work ever capitalised on for marketing purposes? I never remember them using it. The guy no doubt had a following in London though so who knows what the motivation was.

Legeno did get them a bit of press attention. The odd newspaper article, etc. You're right though, Cage Rage only made fleeting references to his acting career from what I remember. 

I got told that Legeno's rematch with Murdock was a work. I think his fight with Kimo was the other one where people suspected foul play. 

They had a short lived rule were you could kick your opponent in the head on the floor but but not by some line, so they wouldn't be next to the cage. They had some good talent as well, the UFC was only showing 5 events a year and Prides Bushido wasn't just dedicated to smaller fighters for a bit, so they were able to get some top 10 fighters in the lower weight classes.

Was it Cage Rage who had Dave O'Donnell walk down the aisle singing "the sex is on fire" like a tit and I'm sure Richard Blackwood was an interviewer as I guess they wanted a celebrity the way Rogan was for the UFC (when he was doing Fear Factor) except Joe Rogan, actually knows his stuff and Blackwood had just came off a celeb show getting an on screen enema and didn't know much.

7 minutes ago, the_mole said:

Was it Cage Rage who had Dave O'Donnell walk down the aisle singing "the sex is on fire"

Sadly not.

O'Donnell performed a rendition of "Sex on Fire" at one of his Birthday parties. I remember the video being shared at that time. He didn't do it during a Cage Rage event. 

SKY gave UCMMA a half hour highlight show on SKY Sports at one point. Instead of showing fights, event previews, interviews with fighters etc whenever I put it on Dave O'Donnell would be fucking singing. Sat in a studio singing some rubbish. I remember tuning in once and he had made a cheesey music video with Grant Waterman where they were driving round London in a convertible wearing tuxedos. I think someone from SKY eventually watched an episode, wondered why they were paying for this and ruined Daves fun.

• Paid Members

i used to watch Cage Fighter all the time. It wasnt a lot disimilar to what Steve Bunce does now on Boxnation.

UCMMA is still running shows too, they seem to have stripped any kind of star power from it though, its just full of local geezers now having a tear up.

• Paid Members

yeh, BAMMA have a show Saturday night. Think its on ITV4.

BAMMA is another promotion that feels buried under the weight of the UFC. When BAMMA signed Nate Marquadt a few years back it felt like a huge deal, it genuinely felt like the UK had a promotion that would become abit of a player on the world scene, they even had their shows aired in the US. All thats stripped away now though, it feels like an afterthought on weekends when theres a lot on (this weekend for example has UFC, Bellator, Glory, Boxing). Its hard to really make anyone take notice. Shame really.

Archived