UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs Till - May 27

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn't read the article but it said McKenzie Dern was ranked quite high but then was removed from the rankings because of fan backlash, that should happen if the fight goes ahead. If Wonderboy loses, RDA & Covington move ahead of him as he would have won once in 4 fights and Till drops out until he makes weight and at least twice (presuming he wins) before they even give him a shot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Romero would have the caveat of at least taking the fight on a shorter notice than he was originally meant to be fighting. He still likely was able to gain an advantage from it though.

This looks bad on Till, family emergency or not. Either he loses and the hype train is derailed, or he wins following having a clear advantage over his opponent. He's also known for longer than anyone else that he was going to be on this card so he should have been on point. 

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out though, as I think fighters that have missed weight in the UFC this year are on a 100% win record. 

• Paid Members

The UFC need to be careful with this sort of thing. Not saying Till is the one, but I'm sure some fighters will be sly enough to miss the weight cut they struggle with, seeing how mad the win percentage is and, say, you're a fight away from a title shot.

What a mess.

Fights on, but Till has to weigh in tomorrow and not be more than 188lbs.

Big psychological hit, that, as he can’t just cut loose, refuel/rehydrate and focus on the fight; he’ll have to have one eye on his weight all night.

Wonderboy wins.

• Paid Members

i was just listening to the BBC MMA podcast that was uploaded yesterday, and blokey on there said that Till doesn't believe in cutting weight and that he prefers to lose the weight by working out in the gym, because its the Thai way. 

Wonder if thats the case and he tried a last minute weight cut because he was a mile off...or he hasnt even attempted to cut weight and simply weighed in over? 

On 5/25/2018 at 2:28 PM, Egg Shen said:

Till is the betting favorite going in too, thats surely down to the hype. May be worth getting your sheckles down on Wonderboy.

Wonderboy is now the 4/5 favourite with Till going out to Evens 

• Paid Members

Just back from the weigh ins, the failed weight cut definitely felt like it’d put a dampener on the atmosphere. I was expecting a McGregor-In-Dublin reaction but this was far more reserved. 

I’m super uncomfortable with anyone having to stay dehydrated the day of the fight. I understand why Wonderboy has requested it, but it still feels like a recipe for brain damage. Especially given the likelihood of Thompson winning by KO. 

EDIT: I just realised that this card kicks off at 15:00 UK time, so Darren needs to stay dehydrated literally until the leave for the arena. Bloody hell. Guaranteed concussion. 

• Paid Members

I know the ratings are meaningless anyway, but there should be a rule that if you miss weight, you can't be in the top 15 until you've had another fight where you did make weight. It's ridiculous to actually class this as a welterweight match.

• Paid Members

That 'Fighting Pride' documentary on BT Sport was good. Went into the history of MMA in the UK, Liverpool specifically, and did a good job telling the stories of Darren Till and Molly McCann. Didn't know much at all about McCann so her backstory was pretty interesting. Read earlier that she's apparently some relation to Katie Taylor as well, so fighting genes in that family. Seeing the likes of Tony Bellew and Liam Smith on there was a bit of a surprise, always nice to see a bit of MMA/Boxing  crossover that's positive for a change.

Was great to see Terry Etim pop up as a talking head as well. He looked in good nick which was great to see, especially after that scary story last year of him throwing himself into traffic. His head must've been shot back then to be in the frame of mind to be able to do something like that. Hopefully he's got himself straight now. 

Didn't even recognise Paul Kelly at first when he popped up either, seeing him with his hair grown out threw me. When did he get out of jail? I remember he got a pretty hefty sentence for drug trafficking years ago. 

They've done a solid job of making this show seem special. Shame Till and McCann went and missed weight and put a bit of a downer on it. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

They've done a solid job of making this show seem special. 

very true, i cant remember a show outside of a PPV getting this kind of buzz. I wonder how its translating in the States?

It’s an astonishing feat to leave this week in a worst position in the fans eyes, but I can’t help but think that’s what Darren Till has done. Didn’t make weight, and then fought in a style that casuals are going to hate whilst spending half the time hugging and fist pumping his opponent.

Not ideal.

Archived