RIP Bruno Sammartino

The Reverend

A great superstar.  His dedication to the McMahon family's business model is shown in his title reign length.  Loved by young & old in his time, truly was admired.

The next WWE "special" will of course be named for this man.

Glad that he finally got inducted into the Hall of Fame a few years back as well, as it would have been criminal if he'd went in posthumously after everything he accomplished in his career.

A solid professional and a real legend of the sport.

Courtesy of Bret's Twitter

DbE0hqaV4AURr-S.jpg

From WWE Stats: The WWE Championship turns 55 years old next week.
Bruno Sammartino reigned as WWE Champion for more than 11 years; over 20% of the title's history.

Seeing wider media and sportspersons remarking on his passing. Helwani for one, The Pittsburgh Steelers GM, the list goes on.

It seems the carny world never got to him and he was always a true gent, and a gracious man to his core. I would hope WWE give him ten bells, making an exception to the Benoit rule. Without him, WWWF would never have been in a position to move into what we know today and genuinely, I don't think we will see someone as integral to the business as he was, not even Hogan or Cena.

I thought meltzer's biography of Bruno was touching and clearly written by a friend. It's just one tweet. I mean seriously, what do you think his motivation is here? I think he just wants him to be remembered for the things he did rather than some bullshit kayfabe. 

3 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

I thought meltzer's biography of Bruno was touching and clearly written by a friend. It's just one tweet. I mean seriously, what do you think his motivation is here? I think he just wants him to be remembered for the things he did rather than some bullshit kayfabe. 

Yeah, and that's fair enough. But maybe leave it for a time that isn't the day he died? Probably best to Tweet it another time?

His explanation on Twitter has been fair enough. Especially the part about that day being the only day the mainstream media would be searching for information on Bruno and he wanted the facts reported rather than revisionist WWE history (which these same people are usually the first to complain about).

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Dave's autistic isnt he?

I've long assumed so - between the intense focus he's shown through his whole career, his manner of speaking at a fast pace without making eye contact, him seemingly being oblivious to a lot of social cues, and apparently not getting sarcasm, all seem to point in that direction, though I don't know if he's ever discussed it.

Archived