UFC 225: Whittaker vs Romero 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He's been saying he doesn't care about titles in interviews, he just wants to build his legacy, he will take the fight and it will just be non title, Romero made 185.2 so would have made a non title weight.

He's not fought in a year, so he probably wants paid as well.

He's saying he wants to fight Cormier next, so he should move up anyway whatever happens, if he wins give him a shot (only cause nobody else deserves a shot at LHW) if he loses just give him a random guy at 205, he's too old to be cutting so much weight it seems.

Apparently an hour into his extra 2 hours the commission called it and told him he had to weigh in. The doctor on-site said he was alright to continue but by Illinois commission rules a doctor can’t overrule, so he had to go and weigh-in. Yoel’s manager Is kicking off saying they’d have made it, even with just an extra 5 minutes whereas the commission apparently referred to him as being on ‘deaths door’. Various journalists reported seeing him after weighing in and looking like a frail old man in pain.

Fucking hell.

That whole paragraph is mental. Weight cutting is such a big issue now, I think there’s a moral and ethical obligation to fix it. Hydration tests? Same day weigh-ins? More weight classes?

I lean towards hydration tests, but fuck knows.

If they run this fight, then if I were Whittakers camp then they need to demand him weigh no more than 190 or so tomorrow on another weigh in. As they need to severely hamper guys who don't make weight as a proper punishment.

I can't see how you can risk your division champion losing, tarnishing his rep & for the romero to not then win the belt.

UFC need to be stacking the odds in whittakers favour

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, the_mole said:

He's saying he wants to fight Cormier next, so he should move up anyway whatever happens, if he wins give him a shot (only cause nobody else deserves a shot at LHW) if he loses just give him a random guy at 205, he's too old to be cutting so much weight it seems.

A DC vs Romero fight would be fantastic. Never even thought about the possibility of that before. 

I hope he does move up after this. Everything I've read, on here and elsewhere, it sounds like the cut to 185 is just too much for him. I mean you look at him and he's as shredded as it gets at 185. It's not like there's bodyfat he can shed like the Kelvin Gastelum or Mackenzie Dern cases. And it's not like he doesn't know how to cut weight given that he's been an elite amateur wrestler forever. I know the immediate assumption with it being Yoel is that he's trying to gain an advantage by missing weight but he's costing himself titles and the money that comes with it. I might be mistaken (someone correct me if I am) but I don't recall him missing weight before the Rockhold fight. It's like he's just hit a wall in getting down to 185. Maybe it's the earlier weigh ins, maybe it's his age, maybe it's just too many hard weight cuts over the years finally catching up to him. Whatever the case I hope this is the last time he attempts it. He'd be on the small side of 205 but at least he won't be killing himself to make weight. His power might not be what it is at 185 but I think a quick, fresher Yoel Romero that maybe doesn't fade down the stretch could be effective in the 205 division, despite being small for the weight. 

Edited by wandshogun09

The video of his walk back to the locker room after weighing in for a second time is on the MMA Junkie twitter page.

Fucking hell 😢 

*edit* Whitaker’s said he’s good to go and happy to fight in a non-title fight but Yoel’s team are holding it up based on his current condition. Dana’s head must be fucking purple.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

There going to put a corpse on the scale one week and not realise until afterwards.

Between Till the other week and Yoel yesterday, this looks like the dumbest fucking sport on the planet, seeing guys do this. Something, anything, needs to done to protect these idiots from themselves. 

Edited by Supremo