UFC 225: Whittaker vs Romero 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Egg Shen said:

genuinely surprised this morning to discover this is next Saturday, i honestly thought we were a month out. Has Punk done any kind of press yet? 

He’s been in court the past week due to the legal battle with WWE Doctor Chris Amann

• Paid Members

Haven't seen any media from Punk but they showed a little video package of him on the Rivera-Moraes show the other night. Just him hitting pads and stuff with Jimmy Smith talking about the fight. Nothing of note really. Most memorable thing about it was Punk looking like an absolute bag of shit at the end of the video;

sXoFFW.jpg

Been reading bits and pieces about Mike Jackson. All I knew of him was that he was an MMA journalist/photographer and obviously getting his arse kicked by Mickey Gall. Looking him up, he's got a little bit more experience than his 0-1 MMA record suggests. From what I can tell he's got a 3-6 amateur MMA record, he's fought some Muay Thai/Kickboxing. Fought Jeremie Holloway (who's fought for Bellator, 8-3 record) in a Thai fight and went the distance. He also holds a 4-0 Boxing record with 4 KO/TKOs, although his 4 opponents' combined record stands at a staggering 0-8! The few clips I've seen of his striking, he doesn't exactly look good but looked fairly comfortable, he's got a bit of experience, he's lanky and he does look like he could be awkward to deal with. 

Basically, he's shit but he still might be way too good for CM Punk. I'm guessing his takedown defence and ground game must be completely rotten otherwise I can't see how they fancied this as a particularly good matchup for Punk. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Rashad has been finished for a long time now. The warning signs started in 2013 when he looked flat against Lil Nog. In his next fight, he fought a decent fight to scrape a decision against Hendo, but that fight was made for him. It was a very favourable match-up in Rashad's favour. He then looked better than ever against Sonnen, but there have always been rumours that Sonnen entered that fight with some sort of injury. 

It's been downhill for Rashad since 2013. He looked flat against Bader, got buzzed by Glover and then dropped decisions to two fighters who would not have lasted 3 minutes against him in his prime. The only upside is that he was stopped only once during those 4 losses. Had he been on the receiving end of a string of knockouts, I think Dana would have made him call it a day. I actually wish that Dana would have asked him to call it a day regardless. He should have hung up the gloves 4 years ago. He had nothing to prove back then, and he has nothing to prove now. 

On a more positive note, I can't wait for this card. It's a proper mega-show. 

• Paid Members

Kind of funny/brutal that Punk's court case lines up perfectly with his 2nd UFC bout. WWE must be delighted with that. Usually you would point out as such a thing being hugely detrimental to most other fighters on the roster, but who knows if Punk had a better training camp the outcome will be any better. Still really not into this at all. It could be an utter shit show, so I suppose there is some curiosity to see how bad it may be. As discussed earlier, though, they should have went full freak show with this and got some JCVD or Wesley Snipes to face Punk, instead of Punk v some random.

Romero was on the MMA Hour last night (looking trim - 10 pounds off weight) and he couldn't seem calmer about fighting in a few days time. I'm sure he'll be a bit more agitated come weigh-in and fight night, but it's remarkable Romero's composure. Here's me having a meltdown because I couldn't find my left Stan Smith effort. He also claimed he's starting to feel like he's definitely slowing down now, with age diminishing his explosion.

Romero's fighting style means it's almost impossible to predict how this goes, even after the 1st fight. Whittaker is coming off a decent size lay off too.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah you can never count Romero out. Stylistically id say Whitaker wins the fight 9 times out of 10, but Romero just has that X factor that means he can beat anyman on any given day in devastating fashion.

• Paid Members

Yeah that fight was 'close' in a manner of speaking, in that it had to be a 48-47 decision all the way for Whittaker, but it wasn't close in the way that Romero clearly won the first two rounds and Whittaker won the final three. Each round wasn't  difficult fight to score really. Going into the fifth, whoever won that round, would win the fight. Providing the person judging it had paid even a modicum of interest to what had happened in the previous 20 minutes. 

• Paid Members

Yoel Romero is such an odd fighter to predict. Usually he starts slow, loses the first couple of rounds and then springs into action with all the grace of a leopard and all the explosion of an arse the morning after a bad curry, and just bodies his opponent. Yet in the Whittaker fight he got off to a good start, looked sharp and won the first two rounds, then fizzled out and lost the next three. He still had his moments in those last three rounds. You can never get comfortable or switch off against Super Yoel. But, like WeeAl says there, it was a pretty clear cut scorecard to anyone with any sense. 

I'm at a bit of a loss to call this rematch. It wasn't like Yoel was outclassed last time. He was always in it. And the things that make Romero lethal are still there. Plus Whittaker has been out a year. 25 minutes is a hell of a long time to avoid getting hit with one of those Cuban missiles. But on the other hand, when you consider Whittaker was able to outwork Yoel down the stretch last time, even with and despite the fucked knee, maybe he's just got Yoel's number. Assuming his knee is fully healthy now, it might actually be a clearer victory for Whittaker this time. 

I've got this gut feeling Yoel catches him this time myself. I don't know what it is. Maybe a bit of wishful thinking. But I'm usually a pessimist when predicting how my favourite fighters will do. Just got a feeling this is going to a trilogy. Which probably means Whittaker smokes him in 15 seconds. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

It seems to me that the problem with calling a rematch, especially if it's not an instant one, is that we don't know how much either fighter will have evolved. I get the impression that Romero won't have sat still in the intervening time, and that he's been analysing how he lost, like most elite fighters. As to Whittaker, he strikes me as a canny customer who probably knows how much he needs to catch up since falling ill. As it is, it feels like things are up in the air as to who'll win this one. Very tricky to call, even without the evolution variable.

• Paid Members

The good thing for Romero is how he rebounded from that loss to Whittaker. Knocking out Luke Rockhold in his next fight must've been a big confidence booster. Doing it in Australia, practically in Whittaker's livingroom, to boot.

I'm a big believer in momentum helping a fighter perform at their best. Whittaker was riding a wave of momentum going into the first fight after knocking out Jacare and Brunson. But he's had a horrible year since beating Romero last July. Injuries, illness, inactivity. It's the fucked up version of Kurt Angle's Three I's.

• Paid Members

For someone who gets constantly shit on, when you actually sit down and listen to Punk, he's hard not to root for. I really want to see him win and despite his record I'm more interested in seeing what happens in his fight than I am in most other fights. It's unfortunate for guys who've got great records, and have come up the hard way, but boo hoo for them. I care more about this than I do just another fight between two young, talented, yet forgettable, faceless guys, which is the majority of most UFC shows these days. This being on the main card is the right decision.

• Paid Members

Yeah. The only reason to do this Punk thing is to squeeze money out of him. Anyone going on about him working his way up on the undercard are just as daft as Punk for thinking he can do pro-MMA in a couple of years. It's not like you can build Punk up. He's only got, at most, a couple of fights in him before the novelty and draw is squeezed out of him. Good interview, though. I've always quite liked Punk.