UFC 225: Whittaker vs Romero 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

the days of people thinking the UFC sells on overall card quality and depth are over, PPV's sell on superstar main event quality and that's it.

The problem is with Punk is, whilst he no doubt contributed to a certain amount of PPV sales. We live in a time when the pro wrestling fans who will want to have watched Punk and nothing else can hold out for an hour or two and download the fight for free, or even stream it illegally with little problem. Its alot of money to pay just to see CM Punk.

1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

On the flip side, pro wrestling seems to be the complete opposite. The WWE brand is the main selling point these days and the individuals not so much. 

Interesting. 

Which is a bit weird, as Brock & Ronda might be champions on Sunday and I'm guessing Ronda is or probably should cut down on her Raw appearances. Even a full time champion like AJ Styles has just done backstage interviews the last two weeks, well from what I seen of the few minute videos they put up on YouTube.  WWE could and probably should do less "PPVs" next year as they will be earning much more from TV than they do from the network and they could save some gimmick matches for TV or their bigger shows.

UFC is getting $10 million per event on ESPN 10 events & ESPN+ 20 events (Meltzer says that's the equivalent of over 250,000 buys per card) and I think a lot of the ESPN+ shows will be international expansion, especially if they get the right TV deals, UK is a smaller market but if you added the rest of Europe including Russia they could do decent monthly shows (although it seems that now BT has Fury, they are going to start their own Box Office PPVS) So whoever the UFC sign with for 2019, we might get charged more for the odd card.

Who knows what the fight did in Australia, obviously it would be hurt with Crawford taking on Horn at same time and beating Pac probably made Horn a bigger name than Whitaker but I still feel his style and just being a stand up guy, no steroid or weight issues and no out of the cage nonsense from some fans who say they want less bullshit, he just needs to get healthy and fight more.

They say they will do 12 PPVs as of right now in the US in 2019 but they are negotiating with PPV distributor's. too see what deal they can strike.

Also Mike Jackson wants to fight Daniel Bryan as Bryan said he thinks he could win on the ground (perhaps joking) and Mike Jackson took it serious or at least pretended he was but it's never happening size difference, Bryan's body isn't that great with the history of concussions and how Jackson last fought in the UFC, maybe EBI. a BJJ match by two newbie guys, I think Bryan is a blue belt and might be decent on the ground and we seen MJ isn't great down there and you take out punches and tickles and the UFC might put it on Fight Pass.

Edited by the_mole

• Paid Members

Is that PPV number confirmed and legit? That's a disaster if true. 

The thing is, every time anyone even slightly criticised the Punk/UFC experiment, the comeback always centred around 'well it's business, don't you get how business works?' and shit like that. As it turns out, they've paid him around $500K again (base pay, fuck knows if there's anything more on top) and if that number PPV number is correct the show bombed. That's business for you. Sometimes what you think is going to catch on just doesn't. 

I was critical of this second Punk fight because I always saw this as a one-off thing. I wasn't massively into his first fight either but I got it more and there was a real novelty factor it had going for it. Most of that novelty factor died that night for me. Seems the PPV buying fanbase felt the same. The Gall fight at UFC 203 did something around 400K buys, at a time when they were doing 180-200-oddK for most shows. The addition to that card of Punk's MMA debut literally doubled the buys. Like I said, there was genuine curiousity there. The drop-off in buys for the second fight says a lot. For me, doing a second fight, and scraping the barrel to find him as shit an opponent as possible, it just felt like they were really reaching. The one defence people had was the business side of it, and it's gone and flopped there too. I can't say I blame the UFC for taking the gamble really. And I certainly don't blame Punk for doing it. But it all just felt a bit low rent to me. Not in a snobbish way where I think MMA is too precious for it, nothing like that. MMA at its roots was built on the freakshow. Just look at the early UFCs and most of Pride's run. And that's probably my favourite era in the sport's history. But this second phase of the Punk in UFC thing, something just felt a bit shit about it from the off to me. Once it was going ahead I had no problem with them putting him on the poster and promoting the fight, you have to do that. I still thought the whole thing was a bit wank though.

No doubt if this PPV would've done well Punk would've got all the credit. And there'd have probably been some merit to that. But now it's shat the bed, it'll get blamed on Whittaker and Romero not 'moving the needle'. 

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Is that PPV number confirmed and legit? That's a disaster if true. 

I don't  subscribe to the observer, but supposedly this is what Dave Meltzer had to say:

"The Los Angeles Times reported this show, which was filled with stars, did less than 150,000 buys on PPV. We don’t have any solid figures but other early estimates are far above that. By next week we should have something that at least confirms the range of how it did."

Nothing to do with buy rates but the event did well at the gate, means nothing nationally but it did over $2 million+ at the gate (big for none Vegas or MSG) in Chicago, granted Chi Town is the 3rd biggest market in the US ( and I'm sure Punk brought in some fans to do a decent gate.) It also did the highest attendance for a non basketball match and apparently only had standing room only, so Dana said at the press conference, so take it for what it's worth.

• 3 years later...

Seems CM Punk ain't 0-2 after all! 

It’s been more than three years since Phil “CM Punk” Brooks stepped foot inside a UFC cage.

For the duration of his absence from MMA competition, everyone – Punk included – thought his record stood at no wins with two losses. As it turns out, that’s not the case.

MMA Junkie learned through a Freedom of Information Act request and subsequent confirmation from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation that Punk’s unanimous decision loss to Mike Jackson at UFC 225 has been overturned to a no contest.

The change in result to the June 2018 fight, which wasn’t reported publicly until now, stems from Jackson testing positive for marijuana on fight night. On June 9, 2018, the night of UFC 225, Jackson tested positive for “tetrahydrocannabinol due to marijuana,” according to a commission disciplinary document obtained by MMA Junkie. Jackson’s discipline was finalized in October 2018 with all parties’ signatures.

As a result of his positive test, Jackson’s win was overturned and he was suspended three months retroactive to the positive test. It’s unknown if Jackson was handed any further discipline such as a fine; the public disciplinary action document alludes to the possibility of further discipline.

“The official result of a full contact martial arts bout can be changed to a ‘no contest’ as an outcome of an adverse post-bout disciplinary finding against a contestant,” Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation public information officer Chris Slaby told MMA Junkie in a written statement on Wednesday. “As detailed in the consent order provided, Mr. Jackson tested positive for tetrahydrocannabinol due to marijuana following the June 9, 2018 UFC event at the United Center in Chicago.”

Prior to UFC 225, fighters received a memo weeks in advance warning them about Illinois’ strict marijuana policy.

“Because of Illinois’ no tolerance policy for marijuana, we recommend that marijuana use be discontinued for anyone participating on the UFC 225 card between now and the event,” the memo read (per MMA Weekly).