Rusev Day

tiger_rick

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

How good would a Knightmare gimmick be? Have three kids on the apron of the ring telling the guy where to move what what to do. Treguard sitting back and just taking the piss outta them when they mess up.

If they did that with Lana, they might actually navigate her way to having a non-awful match.

Vince is jealous 'cos Lana would rather get the Rusev smash ... I noticed that she interviewed with her native accent on the HoF Red Carpet, & had to switch to Russian sharply.  OK, we all know that she's an all-American girl, but I think someone gave her "the look" as she started speaking to try to maintain kayfabe.

• Paid Members
On 17/04/2018 at 12:08 AM, Onyx2 said:

Rusev is back in the casket match.

What the heck is going on?

Maybe it’s the compromise. Bury him in a casket, therefore he’s off TV and might get his release. 

Sad if that’s the case.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:04 AM, The Maestro said:

What I don't get is that WWE have someone as over with the crowd as Rusev and proceed to do bugger all with it. I'm not suggesting they give him the title and Rusev go on some sort of Goldberg undefeated streak (even if I would enjoy), but I just find it baffling that they don't seem to capitalise on someone who has gotten over organically. They've got form for it and I just find it bizarre.

Because, if he's gotten over organically it means that it wasn't WWE's idea, and from what I can tell they don't like when that happens.

You're supposed to cheer the people they tell you to cheer, and if you don't (Reigns), well, they'll just keep forcing the issue until you smarten up. It's as though Vince would rather see WWE burn to the fucking ground before he pushes someone the fans want to see.

Wasn't there a similar thing with Daniel Bryan? Eventually they had to get on board because the whole "Yes" thing started trending everywhere, but if I recall they kind of pissed about initially because it wasn't someone they had earmarked to be a major player.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Because, if he's gotten over organically it means that it wasn't WWE's idea, and from what I can tell they don't like when that happens.

I'd rather believe that they don't know how to capitalise on other people's ideas, rather than they have such contempt for their audience that they don't want to.

Their actions occasionally make that difficult to do, though.

3 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I'd rather believe that they don't know how to capitalise on other people's ideas, rather than they have such contempt for their audience that they don't want to.

Their actions occasionally make that difficult to do, though.

Yeah, I'd like to think it was down to them being inept as well, but even the most inept person on the planet can see that Reigns isn't the top guy that the fans want.

Yet, here we are.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, I'd like to think it was down to them being inept as well, but even the most inept person on the planet can see that Reigns isn't the top guy that the fans want.

Yet, here we are.

The top guys the fans want have never drawn any money. I'm not arguing with your point on Reigns. Certainly vocally, it's an absolute state. But he does move the needle (or has). It's a right mess they've made of it all.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

The top guys the fans want have never drawn any money. I'm not arguing with your point on Reigns. Certainly vocally, it's an absolute state. But he does move the needle (or has). It's a right mess they've made of it all.

I should probably clarify that when I say "top guy", I mean "top face." Apologies for wording it wrong.

At the end of the day, they have to take into consideration what the fans actually want, because it's the fans who tune in, buy the merchandise and subscribe to the network. Should they base every decision based on the crowds reaction? Of course not, but when it's prolonged and has become obvious that it's simply not working they need to be prepared to switch things up and make a few changes.

We've seen plenty of instances where WWE have pushed certain people despite it being blatantly obvious that the fans were actively against it for the most part. I remember Batista coming back and being pushed, and it was a nightmare.

They at least have to try and flow with what the fans want. Someone like Reigns, the fans want to hate him, so why not put him in a position where they do can exactly that? Rather than put him against a heel and then get all confused when the "bad guy" gets cheered?

Unless he's still shifting a load of merch and suchlike? I know they kept Cena as is because he was still massive with the kids and so on?

• Paid Members

The problem is you can't just say its "the fans". We saw for years with Cena that he was adored by legions of fans just not the loudest ones in the crowds for PPVs and most TV shows. I've never seen any evidence that Reigns has support on that level but he's definitely a hero to the younger audience. Or he was, I don't know what the hell they've been thinking of late.

It would be interesting to see any numbers that say whether it even matters now? If it's not about PPV revenue and the TV deals are done, can anyone be the top guy? That they put a fucking World title on Jinder Mahal suggests maybe not.

They have to do something then, because when Reigns comes out and is supposed to be a big deal only for the fans to boo fuck out of him it kind of destroys the flow of the TV show, doesn't it? Maybe they should be fucking about with the sound or something? 

Funnily enough, I think Jinder is okay. He's not World title by any stretch, but he's got a good look and is a decent heel.

• Paid Members

With the Rumble-Wrestlemania-Greatest Rumble season we're in, a lot of my more casual mates and lads at work have started tuning in and not a one of them likes Reigns. I know the audience isn't aimed at 20-something males any more, but these same lads at least saw merit in Cena back when he more prominent.

It's bizarre. He's had 3 title runs and they all bombed, he won a Rumble and the majority of fans hated it, he main events 4 Wrestlemanias back to back and gets panned at every one of them. 

I know a portion of fans like him, but he's not a success by any means and if all that can't get you success then you just won't be one.

Archived