Rusev Day

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Following this tweet last night

It's been noted:

I suspect he's working and if so, apologies for starting a new thread. If not, it's momentous. I adore Rusev. He's got a great look that is defferent from all the wannabe body-builders. His work is superb. His character work has always been good and he's great whenever you see him being him. Would love them to do more with him. No doubt if they let him go he'd make money but it'd be a shame he's not being exposed to the masses.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think WWE have any intention of being bullied into releasing either him or Lana. However long they have left on their contracts they'll just let them rot and pay them rather than allow them to get their way. Isn't this what's happening with Neville and numerous others over the years? They are well aware that any of the talents I named would draw for other promotions, mainly BECAUSE what WWE is doing.....

• Paid Members

Odd this one. I hope it's some weird angle because Rusev is good value wherever they stick him.

If not, I can understand why he's a little annoyed. After WWE being a bit rubbish to him after he and Lana announced their engagement (which 'ruined' the shite Lana/Dolph storyline), Rusev has worked his arse off to get back momentum, and now he's on the road to being a pretty hot babyface (in all aspects).

• Paid Members

'WWE being bullied'...interesting choice of words, seeing as it's very possible that Vince doesn't like Rusev as he feels he's punching above his weight with Lana. It's the only explanation why somebody that you'd expect upper management to like have gradually shafted him more and more over time, after his brilliant Cena feud ended.

• Paid Members

For what it’s worth, his insta has always had his real name. Same with a lot of wwe stars. They clearly don’t know what to do with him, which is a shame as he has great charisma, a great look and can go. He should’ve been in the Jinder position, not that useless idiot. I don’t know how they haven’t turned him face yet. 

• Paid Members

One of the very few highlights from the poorly devised League of Nations stable a few years ago were Rusev's little dashes of comedy, like when he celebrated wildly after splashing Roman Reigns through the announce table at the Rumble and grabbed Vince for a hug ("Come here boss!"). From there he had some really funny interactions with different people before his layoff from TV, and the Rusev Day stuff had just taken on a life of it's own. 

Sadly it's another instance of someone getting over organically and the creative team not knowing how to capitalise on it effectively other than producing a t-shirt. They've painted him as this anti-USA baddie for so many years and just don't have a clue how to book him as a babyface now that he's getting these reactions from people because of his comic timing. It would be a massive pity if he moves on from WWE, but if he went elsewhere it might give them him the platform to broaden his comedic chops. 

"What does that mean?"

It'll be a big shame if he does end up leaving. I love me a bit of Rusev and WWE will be a worse place without him.

What I don't get is that WWE have someone as over with the crowd as Rusev and proceed to do bugger all with it. I'm not suggesting they give him the title and Rusev go on some sort of Goldberg undefeated streak (even if I would enjoy), but I just find it baffling that they don't seem to capitalise on someone who has gotten over organically. They've got form for it and I just find it bizarre.

The Rusev Day chant has got so over that if he does go, or is suspended or just off TV for whatever other reason WWE could find themselves with a CM Punk-esque reaction as a backlash from the fans. It'll be interesting to see where that goes and whether their opinion of his star power and potential goes up after he's been off TV for a while and the fans hijack segments and matches with his name.

Archived